Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is another overseas franchise proposal for assessment:

Team: Dominion of Melchizedek Deckers

Colours: navy blue, with a deck of cards on the front of the jersey

Mascot: man dressed in prison stripes, similar in appearance to the Hamburglar

400138-hamburglar_super.jpg

Pro:
Large-scale banking fraud and other crimes committed by the Dominion's President will allow the club to be easily financed

Con: Not actually a country

This is either a bong too far, or a result of sporting overload - French tennis champs, Wimbledon, US Opens, World Cup Soccer, Tour de France

10, 9,8, 7, ...6 *** didn't Zvonareva get smashed by Serena ........English soccer what the...... French sulk......... Lance Armstrong crashes three times.....5 4 La Torro .... 4 3, Italian grandma beats robotic Sam Stosur 2 1 oh what the hell lets have 30 teams in AFL :eek:

Of course, players could perhaps wear spacesuits, but that would then have a deleterious effect on skill level, I would suggest, as well as making it harder to tackle.

All teams would need a home and away spacesuit - think of the marketing oportunities! For traditional reasons Collingwood & Essendon will just have a home spacesuit. (Black helmet home, White helmet away)

Taking marks 15m above the ground while wearing a space suit. Brilliant, I can hardly thing of a downside. (Wish I had found this thread a few days ago!).

Planet of Origin anyone?

All teams would need a home and away spacesuit - think of the marketing oportunities!

YES!

I can already imagine having spacesuits in team colours available in shops around the nation for everyone to be able to buy and emulate their heroes. This concept could be truly groundbreaking...

Planet of Origin anyone?

This would also be a very exciting possibility, although of course, such interplanetary grudge matches would best be held in a zero gravity environment.

Staging such matches in zero-g, it seems to me, along with other equalisation measures such as modification of equipment, would help compensate for physical differences between teams due to differing levels of gravity on their respective home planets...

This would also be a very exciting possibility, although of course, such interplanetary grudge matches would best be held in a zero gravity environment.

Staging such matches in zero-g, it seems to me, along with other equalisation measures such as modification of equipment, would help compensate for physical differences between teams due to differing levels of gravity on their respective home planets...

this all reminds me of that 'space footy' Coca-Cola commercial from September 1992 with Tony Lockett in space footy battle gear.

**** it if theres going to be a team at colac you may as well have one at balga please!

I'll get our committee to look into it. The good burghers of Balga might well have a proposal worth presenting!

I'll get our committee to look into it. The good burghers of Balga might well have a proposal worth presenting!

Balga could be a good choice. It is 8km noth of Perth's CBD, and we know that Perth is a growing city. Fremantle already exists 20km south or Perth, so where is the future representation to Perth's north?

We need to shore up the support for the AFL in these areas before other sports get their toe in the water.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balga could be a good choice. It is 8km noth of Perth's CBD, and we know that Perth is a growing city. Fremantle already exists 20km south or Perth, so where is the future representation to Perth's north?

We need to shore up the support for the AFL in these areas before other sports get their toe in the water.

that is the Joondalup proposal.

Most of the people in the north are Eagles supporters anyway.

Ummm, Fremantle is only about 10-12km south west of Perth situated where the swan river meets the sea.

It's well within the Perth metro area.

The AFL needs to consolidate over the nnext few years if anything. Another AFL franchise in WA would kill the WAFL imo.

If anything the AFL should have started up a Tassie team. It would have been a perfect combination of expansion and consolidation.

eta: this thread is very very silly.

Gotta say I owe him big time- his serious responses have given me enough inspiration for almost a complete standup comedy act ;)

Kanga's messages are a bit like the WWE, the action LOOKS real, even though common sense tells you it couldn't possibly be... :D

You're ruining/have ruined what is/was a subtly hilarious thread with your unfunny "punchlines". Stop trying to claim credit for other people's ideas. This isn't Inception and you're not L. DiCaprio.

I'm noting a distinct under-representation from our Alpine areas. It may be all well and good for Dees supporters to nick off to Mount Buller for a weekend here and there. But the high country needs a team of it's own.

How about the Kosciuszko Kamakazi's? They could play out of Jindabyne, the major town servicing the NSW snowfields. Supporters will typically have a high disposable income, meaning merchandise (think Kamakazi turtleneck jumpers for the ladies, and bib 'n' brace ski pants for the lads) has the potential to do extraordinarily well.

Also, many of the local talent will be sourced from descendants of the Snowy River scheme. Hard men with a can-do attitude. Working class men. Securing Jimmy Barnes as number 1 ticket holder will be key to garnering support amongst the Plebeians.

It may be tough at first, but I think the mix of blue collar and blue blood support will lead to a successful franchise.

Tassie and another WA club in around 10-15 years time will round it out for Australia.

Then I think there might be a push for PNG and NZ.

Its inevitable that WA will get a third AFL team eventually. WAs population is 2.3 million and counting by the end of the decade if the trends continue to grow WAs popultion will be around 3 million.

Tasmaina will never get an AFL club simply because their population isnt big enough and also their population is either stable or decreasing like SA.

Darwin Will get an AFL team before Tassie simply because the population is growing rapidly over there. Darwins population is only 150,000 but its growing due to Migrants been sent there to boost up the population and the goverment is trying to make darwin look like gold coast with tall apartments near the beaches.

the chances of a victorian team folding, roloacting or merging is slim due to Victorias population boom at the moment. Victorian population will in crease to another 1-1.5 million people in 10 years time.

I'm ruining/have ruined what is/was a subtly hilarious thread

EFA. There's always one, isn't there.

High time this thread was resurrected though. Far too much significance to be gone permanently.

Especially since I notice discussion about these issues now re-emerging, with a proposed Newcastle franchise. I still maintain that the Dubbo "Big Empty Hole" concept has far more potential.

Wona, you and I both know that the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Towns, the AFL and Expansion is "42".

I'm still a fan of the Reykjavik Cod. The time may also be ripe for the Athens Phalanxes. The ties between the Melbourne and Greek commiunities are huge. And the Greek government is surely looking for investment that the AFL could provide by building a stadium. Labour is at a low cost point, making the initial cost lower now than it will be in future years. Get in now, and the AFL can ride the Greek recovery when it happens.

Its inevitable that WA will get a third AFL team eventually. WAs population is 2.3 million and counting by the end of the decade if the trends continue to grow WAs popultion will be around 3 million.

Tasmaina will never get an AFL club simply because their population isnt big enough and also their population is either stable or decreasing like SA.

Darwin Will get an AFL team before Tassie simply because the population is growing rapidly over there. Darwins population is only 150,000 but its growing due to Migrants been sent there to boost up the population and the goverment is trying to make darwin look like gold coast with tall apartments near the beaches.

the chances of a victorian team folding, roloacting or merging is slim due to Victorias population boom at the moment. Victorian population will in crease to another 1-1.5 million people in 10 years time.

Whilst the Tasmanian population may be stagnant not so is the amount of Tasmanians in the world.
Tasmania hasthe highest birth rate (http://www.examiner.com.au/news/loc...hrate-still-highest-in-australia/1987582.aspx).

Many Tasmanians move to other places in Australia and would adopt the team as their second (or main) team if given the chance. A Tassie team would clearly establish football as the national code as well as bringing back some tradition to our game.

Wona, you and I both know that the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Towns, the AFL and Expansion is "42".

I'm still a fan of the Reykjavik Cod. The time may also be ripe for the Athens Phalanxes. The ties between the Melbourne and Greek commiunities are huge. And the Greek government is surely looking for investment that the AFL could provide by building a stadium.

Yes! And in honour of the Spartan tradition, the ancient training methods could be adopted too.

The new stadium could be built in Thermopylae. And the biff could be brought back in style. It would be fitting...

[YOUTUBE]RzFiCGRWlKs[/YOUTUBE]

Would you want to face these guys on a football field? Get ready
evilgrin.jpg

[YOUTUBE]PnxlhajOolw[/YOUTUBE]

Whilst the Tasmanian population may be stagnant not so is the amount of Tasmanians in the world.
Tasmania hasthe highest birth rate (http://www.examiner.com.au/news/loc...hrate-still-highest-in-australia/1987582.aspx).

Many Tasmanians move to other places in Australia and would adopt the team as their second (or main) team if given the chance. A Tassie team would clearly establish football as the national code as well as bringing back some tradition to our game.

ah so that explains why tassies population has been the same for the past few years.

I'm not sold on the 'WA will inevitably have 3 teams' idea.

Places in WA with a population greater than 50,000 are Perth (1.7m, give or take), Mandurah (90,000) and Bunbury (70,000) so there is never going to be an AFL team in WA not based in Perth.

Perth has 2 well established (26 and 18 years respectively) AFL clubs with strong support already, and unlike Melbourne the support is not really regional - despite the protestations of Fremantle fans, so it's not like everyone East or South of the city doesn't follow a club because there isn't one nearby. Perth is also a footy-mad city, so there's not some huge population base hiding out in the 'burbs that have never heard of footy but would go along if we could convince David Pocock or Shawn Redhage to give it a try.

I think we should wait and see whether expanding to 18 teams is a huge **** up before we worry about going any further. More teams = more TV dollars, but it isn't necessarily the best thing for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back