expansion after 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But can you imagine the argument about 85+ years ago on the expansion of the VFL

Hawthorn (7kms from Melbourne) to far from Melbourne, how can they sustain a VFL side?

But I don’t think the AFL should be expanded into the smaller country towns, because the players aspire of playing footy in the big league with big crowds and stadiums etc.

Why would the AFL let their image go to a level to where the NRL play games in Venues that wouldn’t even be 2 star stadiums.

i can see those awesome crowds between broome and mt gambier...

ffs their population is less than the average attendence of both port and the roos. what would be the point of having west coast/geelong/adelaide/port belt a bunch of country teams every second week infront of a crowd of 99.9999999% their own members who could be bothered to get to some country town (probably about 50 people).

Well, I don't know about you TYS, but personally, I think the idea's pretty bloody funny myself!

The fishing's been damn good here lately too, I must say...

ice-fishing.gif

:D

Sheedy's idea of a third Sydney team has merit. I've always considered Woolloomooloo a great place for another team. That chant from the crowd of the team suburb would be spine-tingling.

Can you imagine the hatred of the two inner suburban teams the Swans and Woolloomooloo. It would be on for young and old!

Tassie might have a case, with a third perth team to balance the draw

Perth would go from 2 derbies to 6, which would underpin a colossal stadium

Lets say 20 years forward. with a chance of another team in each of QLD and NSW in 40

Adelaide will be a suburb of melbourne by then, so victoria back to 12 teams

Sheedy's idea of a third Sydney team has merit. I've always considered Woolloomooloo a great place for another team. That chant from the crowd of the team suburb would be spine-tingling.

Can you imagine the hatred of the two inner suburban teams the Swans and Woolloomooloo. It would be on for young and old!

Rooty Hill Snakes

What should the next phase of expansion look like ater 2012?

I've been thinking that with Geelong's success, we could definately support another team to the west. Maybe in Colac, or Warrnambool.

Also, with St.Kilda playing at the Docklands we need a full Mornington peninsula team. We can't aford to lose the Mornington Peninsula or Bairnsdale to Rugby League.

I reckon by 2020, it should be like this.

WEST DIVISION
West Coast
Fremantle
Port Adelaide
Adelaide
Colac
Geelong
Broome
Mt Gambier
Port Lincoln
Kalgoorlie Heat (like Miami Heat)

VIC
North Melbourne
Moe
Mornington Peninsula
Bairnsdale
Collingwood
Essendon
Carlton
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
Hawthorn
Richmond
St.Kilda

NORTH
West Sydney
Sydney
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Tweed Heads
Wagga Wagga
Taree
Dubbo
Goulburn
Broken Hill
Cape York Sharks

The top 4 teams in each division go to the finals, and it works like the NFL playoffs with 12 teams.

A six team ACT Division, comprising-

Canberra
Tuggeranong
Belconnen
Canberra West
Queanbeyan
Ainslie

...fights out the lower divison and the premier of that gets promoted to the AFL replacing the team with the worst record.

I think this would unite Australia. What does everyone think!

Population of Kalgoorlie: 28,000
Population of Miami: 5.5 million

Population of Australia: 22 million
Population of USA: 309 million

...fail

But you're not thinking beyond the square.

Having a team in bairnsdale or Moe, would shore up those areas as AFL territory for the next 100 years.

Do you want to just sit on your hands and do nothing? If we do that, Basketball and Rugby Legaue could encroach on those places and then the shit hits the fan big time.

I can just see the Herald Sun headline now:

AFL STILL MOST POPULAR IN AUSTRALIA, BUT BASKETBALL TAKES BAIRNSDALE AND MOE IN THE BATTLE FOR SUPREMACY

This is the worse expansion thread ever. Can I have my own team? Because it seems like there's no serious criteria for a license.

It looks like a bastardized vfl/wafl/sanfl etc.. league rather then the AFL. KISS (Keep it short and stupid).

Valid teams:
- Hobart/Launceston/Tassie
- Darwin/NT
- Townsville/Cairns/Nth QLD
- Canberra/ACT
- Newcastle/Central Coast
- Wellington/Christchurch/NZ

I like the idea of a conference system though, it might be needed down the track.

Those Tasmanians are pretty stiff, 30 sides on and still missing out on that license. There last chance was when Taree got that 30th permit. Only a Queanbeyan relocation could get a side there now.

Christmas Island would have to consider themselves unlucky also, with population currently booming. Protesters turning up by the boatload.

At least if North Melbourne or another city side fold, their is massive demand for an AFL team in Bonnie Doon....actually, nah...."Tell him he's dreaming"

This is the worse expansion thread ever. Can I have my own team? Because it seems like there's no serious criteria for a license.

It looks like a bastardized vfl/wafl/sanfl etc.. league rather then the AFL. KISS (Keep it short and stupid).

Valid teams:
- Hobart/Launceston/Tassie
- Darwin/NT
- Townsville/Cairns/Nth QLD
- Canberra/ACT
- Newcastle/Central Coast
- Wellington/Christchurch/NZ

I like the idea of a conference system though, it might be needed down the track.

Agree.

Tassie has to be next.

then maybe a Darwin/NT or Nth QLD side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What... they would manage to get a young supporter and an old one? Two?
That's a pretty extravagant claim.

Ah Mt Isa... anyone remember the moronic quote from their Mayor a little while back?

May I suggest if there are five blokes to every girl, we should find out where there are beauty-disadvantaged women and ask them to proceed to Mount Isa.

Still laughing my ass off every time I remember that one... I reckon Sam Newman should be looking to enter politics in that part of the country sometime soon :p

followed by the 'apology' the next night that went something along the lines of 'i'm sorry... but you know... what i said was true, so ahm, yeh.'

The thread of true gold this.

Oh God yes... I wish I hadn't missed the March revival here mate, but this thread is too beautiful to ever sink beneath the waves permanently.

By the way, I've just come up with a theme song for the new Moe franchise:

Moe, Moe, Moe!
How do you like us? How do you like us!?
Moe, Moe, Moe!
Why don't you like us? Nobody likes us...

[YOUTUBE]zrjzkrqA9_Y[/YOUTUBE]

i just feel like the afl are missing the big picture here

i think it's time they turned their eye to interplanetary expansion, and, in time, intergalactic and even universal

we don't want soccer gaining a foothold on mars, that could spell the end of football as a viable brand

i just feel like the afl are missing the big picture here

i think it's time they turned their eye to interplanetary expansion, and, in time, intergalactic and even universal

we don't want soccer gaining a foothold on mars, that could spell the end of football as a viable brand

With all due respect, I think you're being a little unrealistic mate.

I would have to suggest the low-gravity Martian environment would be better suited to Association Football rather than Aussie Rules.

Although if there's any intelligent life on Jupiter, the AFL really should look to recruit some of them. Given the low centre of gravity local residents would likely have, along with superior strength and ability to withstand physical pressure, they'd be unstoppable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back