Expectations for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

ColinMochrie

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looking at some of the pre season match threads I can see people have some differences in opinion in where we stand and what is acceptable for this year.

So, where do you see the Pies at for this year, what do you consider par, what is an unacceptable failure?

I personally see the Pies, without injuries, to be in the fight for the top 8. I would be disappointed if we don't make it but not surprised. It depends on the improvement of other teams. With such a young list I expect some inconsistent performances and some shock defeats.

So I think below 10th will be a failure. (Depending on injuries of course)

I'm sorry if there is already a thread about this, but I couldn't find one and thought it would be a good discussion now the Pre Season is over.

Making the eight is the goal, anything better than that is great, anything worse would be a failure.

We've made the finals 8 years in a row, no need to end the streak now, our midfield and Clokey will carry us to enough wins to ensure that.

Making the eight is the goal, anything better than that is great, anything worse would be a failure.

We've made the finals 8 years in a row, no need to end the streak now, our midfield and Clokey will carry us to enough wins to ensure that.

What about the Back 6?

Yer I think its clear we are rebuilding now...reckon we will finish 9 -10. Get a first rounder and then pick up Darcy moore ontop of that first rounder.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yer I think its clear we are rebuilding now...reckon we will finish 9 -10. Get a first rounder and then pick up Darcy moore ontop of that first rounder.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Who do we trade to get the extra 1st Rounder?

A great season would be 4-6, good season 7-8.

I think we will be in the 7-9 range, won't challenge for the flag but it will be an exciting year with all the youth coming through

My expectation is to win the flag.

It is going to be hard but not impossible like say Melbourne or St Kilda. It will take a lot of things to go right for us and maybe something go wrong for other sides along the way. We have enough gun players to do it we just need the rest to have good seasons. Bomber did it in 93 Swans played well at the right time in 2012 it can be done.

Who do we trade to get the extra 1st Rounder?
Im not sure Dave, my gut tells me that harry L will request a trade come seasons end and im not comfortable about Reid until he signs. It sound's crazy I know but weirder things have happened at pie land. Who would of thought heath shaw wouldn't be in Collingwood colors this year? No one i bet .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not sure Dave, my gut tells me that harry L will request a trade come seasons end and im not comfortable about Reid until he signs. It sound's crazy I know but weirder things have happened at pie land. Who would of thought heath shaw wouldn't be in Collingwood colors this year? No one i bet .

Won't get a first rounder for O'Brien

My expectation is to win the flag.

It is going to be hard but not impossible like say Melbourne or St Kilda. It will take a lot of things to go right for us and maybe something go wrong for other sides along the way. We have enough gun players to do it we just need the rest to have good seasons. Bomber did it in 93 Swans played well at the right time in 2012 it can be done.

I'm going to be rather blunt here, but IMO that's just delusional. Sure to a man we all hope it comes to fruition! It's another matter entirely to expect it though.

It's akin to a Carlton supporter expecting a top 4 finish or a Giants fan a top 8 position.

Unfortunately even with a charmed injury run and fast start to the season our best 22 just isn't experienced enough any longer to compete with the likes of Hawthorn and Sydney at the business end of the season.

5-8 while battling for a top 4 spot is my expectation. Anything below 10th is a failure.

He signed a contract extension less than a month ago. As polarizing as he is he won't be traded.

Are you joking? We got z 1st rounder for wellingham. I would bet my left nut we would get a 1st rounder for him.

Wellingham was 23, O'Brien will be 28 with big off field issues. 5 years younger and less personal issues makes Wellingham more valuable.

We tried to trade O'Brien last trade period but no one wanted to touch him, clubs are worried about the chance of him breaking down again and won't invest a 1st rounder to get him.

He signed a contract extension less than a month ago. As polarizing as he is he won't be traded.
He only signed 1 year which says to me the club is unsure of his long term future...a contract just means we get to bargain if he want to leave thats all.

He only signed 1 year which says to me the club is unsure of his long term future...a contract just means we get to bargain if he want to leave thats all.

Yeah, I don't agree. If he weren't eligible for FA prior to signing then maybe I could go along with it.

That isn't to say your wrong more that I just don't see what's in it for Lumumba to re-sign only to be traded at seasons end.

That's completely ignoring the fact that he definitely isn't worth a first round pick.

I'm going to be rather blunt here, but IMO that's just delusional. Sure to a man we all hope it comes to fruition! It's another matter entirely to expect it though.

It's akin to a Carlton supporter expecting a top 4 finish or a Giants fan a top 8 position.

Unfortunately even with a charmed injury run and fast start to the season our best 22 just isn't experienced enough any longer to compete with the likes of Hawthorn and Sydney at the business end of the season.

5-8 while battling for a top 4 spot is my expectation. Anything below 10th is a failure.

So we are no chance at all?

Me thinking we can win the flag is based on a lot of "ifs" and hoping things go right. But as I said we are not a Melbourne or St Kilda who if they had everything go their way would still not win the flag.

I'm not saying it will happen I'm saying if things fall our way we have enough talent to win against anyone. If we just go into the season thinking we can't win with the talent we have why would I get excited about the season ahead. More then likely none of this will happen but the bombers of 93 lost the first three games with a young side and won the flag. Things like this can happen. I choose to go in with high hopes. If that's delusional so be it.

Look at our first ten rounds before getting your hopes up.

So we are no chance at all?

Me thinking we can win the flag is based on a lot of "ifs" and hoping things go right. But as I said we are not a Melbourne or St Kilda who if they had everything go their way would still not win the flag.

I'm not saying it will happen I'm saying if things fall our way we have enough talent to win against anyone. If we just go into the season thinking we can't win with the talent we have why would I get excited about the season ahead. More then likely none of this will happen but the bombers of 93 lost the first three games with a young side and won the flag. Things like this can happen. I choose to go in with high hopes. If that's delusional so be it.

We're a slim slim chance IMO and that's if everything absolutely clicks, but remember we're talking about expectations not chances or hopes.

For instance with the expectation you've put forward my expectation is if we aren't in the top 4 by the half way point of the year and on track for a Prelim appearance as a minimum you would be very critical of our performance.

FWIW I'm not labeling your hope that we have an Essendon 93' type season as delusional because that would be my hope. It's the difference between expectation and hopes that I'm referring to :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Expectations for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back