F1 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez, Sky (and the rest of the F1 media) have the knives out for RIC atm.

DiResta about the only one talking a bit of sense haha

Jeez, Sky (and the rest of the F1 media) have the knives out for RIC atm.

DiResta about the only one talking a bit of sense haha
He’s had some shocking luck this year and a lot of it’s been out of his control but rough performance today considering how competitive McLaren have looked this weekend. Seems like he’s just so down on confidence, and the crash wouldn’t have helped I guess

It is really only last week and quali today he has been poor. Race 1 the McLaren was absolute shit and he finished ahead of Lando. Race 2 he had the DNF and was ahead of Lando when he lost power. Race 3 he finished on Lando's arse in Melbourne and would have finished ahead of him if he wasn't told to hold position. The race after was the clash with Sainz which he took the blame for. He was also in a good position for a good result, too. Then Miami he had the penalty which cost him a top 10 finish. Not to mention the strategy was shit and they sent him back out after pitting at the back of a DRS train that even Lando couldn't get through. If it rains tomorrow anything can happen. Hopefully these new cars allow for overtaking as well.

The rhetoric surrounding Daniel is a bit over the top but ever since he arrived at McLaren and started struggling people have been sinking the boot in at every opportunity. Even when he was outscoring Lando in the back half of last season the criticism was still coming in. I guess when the overwhelming majority of the English speaking media are Poms that have raging hard ons for the British drivers it is to be expected.

How can there still be Ricciardo apologists?

He is having a crap year. That's 3 in 4 years since leaving RB.

It isn't because he is a terrible driver but he is clearly on a sharp decline. A win at Monza was great but it's the exception to the current rule.

Short of an equally sharp turnaround by the end of this season then I fail to see why continuing on together is of benefit to Dan or McLaren. Neither is the other's priority surely. Dan should quite clearly be seeing the team'sfocus is Lando. Ironic given why he left RB really.

Dan would find a new home in several other racing organisations. Unless he wants to replace Vettel at AM if he is happy bashing around the bottom half but that'll be yet another car to get used to and that doesn't seem to be a strength of his (unlike, for example, Sainz). I also don't see why AM would do that to themselves.

F1 is just that cutthroat. Unless you a world champ, you don't generally get to bounce around bottom teams to prolong your career (hello AFL).

Dan will look back on his career and surely regret leaving RB. He should also regret leaving Renault. Oh well. Good career Daniel, you were fun to watch.

Dans done. Hes lost that edge that he used to have. Can only blame the car for so long.

For the money hes on, hes nowhere near been good enough

I get that F1 is seriously competitive and if you’re not performing you don’t get long before you’re gone but let’s be honest - whose available that’s going to do a better job than Dan right now? Yeah Landos quicker, he’s your priority and your main focus but you could do a lot lot worse than Dan as an experienced 2nd - he’s pretty reliable, for the most part will score you valuable points in the CC (when his cars not a lemon) and won’t put you in the wall too often.

Is he worth the salary you’re paying him, no but you’re stuck paying it anyway - so unless there’s a significant upgrade available why bother? Developing Oscar for a year before going back to Alpine would be madness, look at the others coming out of F2 they’re not exactly lighting it up

I just don’t get why the talk always has to be so dramatic, if you’re not as quick as your teammate youre out!! I’d be pretty stoked right now as a team if Dan was my number 2 and Lando who looks a genuine future star locked in for years as your number 1 guy. Maybe stability going forward may be more beneficial for a team like McLaren? Keep the same guys in the car and work to improve it, you’re just back to square one bringing in someone who again has a completely different drive style and trying to cater for them

I get that F1 is seriously competitive and if you’re not performing you don’t get long before you’re gone but let’s be honest - whose available that’s going to do a better job than Dan right now? Yeah Landos quicker, he’s your priority and your main focus but you could do a lot lot worse than Dan as an experienced 2nd - he’s pretty reliable, for the most part will score you valuable points in the CC (when his cars not a lemon) and won’t put you in the wall too often.

Is he worth the salary you’re paying him, no but you’re stuck paying it anyway - so unless there’s a significant upgrade available why bother? Developing Oscar for a year before going back to Alpine would be madness, look at the others coming out of F2 they’re not exactly lighting it up

I just don’t get why the talk always has to be so dramatic, if you’re not as quick as your teammate youre out!! I’d be pretty stoked right now as a team if Dan was my number 2 and Lando who looks a genuine future star locked in for years as your number 1 guy. Maybe stability going forward may be more beneficial for a team like McLaren? Keep the same guys in the car and work to improve it, you’re just back to square one bringing in someone who again has a completely different drive style and trying to cater for them

I'm sure they are wishing they had Bottas as the 'reliable' second driver than Dan. Dan isn't scoring points and the car issues wear thin. Seriously how is it that it can be the engineers fault or the cars fault every time with Dan?

See if you can lure Gasly ffs (won't happen given my next point) or else look to the future.

The issue is that even if Dan comes back into some sort of reliable form he ain't getting any better next year or thereafter.

He joined McLaren at a time they were coming off third. He was directly responsible for them losing out to Ferrari for third because he didn't pull his weight. This year was meant to be what Renault Year 2.0 was - bloody competitive and he is just wet lettuce again with no prospect of improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Dan but honestly I barely give him a second thought during a race. Lando will routinely be up in the points while Dan flounders around at the back until they eventually bring him in out of sync and put him on hards so he can circulate 3 seconds off the pace of the leaders. Whatever is happening at McLaren it is clearly not working for both parties, so he'll be leaving. It's not all doom and gloom, he had a great career, won races and got paid an incredible amount of money, not everyone can be a world champion and not everyone is competitive until the end of their career.

I like Dan but honestly I barely give him a second thought during a race. Lando will routinely be up in the points while Dan flounders around at the back until they eventually bring him in out of sync and put him on hards so he can circulate 3 seconds off the pace of the leaders. Whatever is happening at McLaren it is clearly not working for both parties, so he'll be leaving. It's not all doom and gloom, he had a great career, won races and got paid an incredible amount of money, not everyone can be a world champion and not everyone is competitive until the end of their career.
i often wonder if he had his time over whether he'd have made different driving choices.

Big chance for Leclerc to regain the championship lead today. Verstappen's won the last three races, but starts fourth. At Monaco of all places, this should grant Leclerc a major opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back