Other Fact or Fiction

Remove this Banner Ad

Fiction: As long as Parcells is in Miami and Belichick is in New England, the Jets are going to have a hard time to win the division. The Jets need a QB, I wouldn't personally like to see Cassel in green but it seems like a fit to the Jets, I can't see any other QB that could lift them to be a force at this point.

FOF: Minnesota are a QB away from winning the Super Bowl

Fiction: As long as Parcells is in Miami and Belichick is in New England, the Jets are going to have a hard time to win the division. The Jets need a QB, I wouldn't personally like to see Cassel in green but it seems like a fit to the Jets, I can't see any other QB that could lift them to be a force at this point.

FOF: Minnesota are a QB away from winning the Super Bowl
Fiction. They are a WR away from making a Superbowl.
Tarvaris is going ot be a Vince Young, above average but cant take them the next step. They already have JDB so they already have the QB that will lead them to the next step.

FOF: Once Peyton Manning leaves Indianapolis, the Colts will plummit to #4 in the AFC South.

Fiction: The Colts will finish 4th even when Manning is there, unfortunately the Titans and the Texans to me will finish higher than them this season and the Jags with some receivers are a team to watch out next year. Unless Manning can repeat this MVP season (which I am unsure of) and drag his team to the playoffs two years in a row with no significant help, the Colts are a team that rely on too few and their time of dominance is over.

FOF: If you have a bad secondary, and all players were on the draft table, you would take the athletic safety (Ed Reed) over the shutdown corner (Champ Bailey).

Fact: With a shutdown corner, they arn't going to make plays while the other side can be abused, however the atletic safety can make the gamewinning plays, even with a poor secondary as it is more of a wild factor.

Fiction: Brandon Jacobs is as important to the Giants as Plaxico Burress was. No way they let him leave, especially seeing how important he is to their running game. It seems that the more expendable back is Ward or Ahmad Bradshaw and look for them to leave, like Ryan Grant did.

FOF: The AFC is still stronger than the NFC overall

Fiction. Zarko is a spud of the highest order and you're just kissing his ass because you're afraid he'll call you out again.

FOF- Brandon Jacobs will leave the Giants during free agency.
I wouldnt want to suck up to the NFC East. I hate Dallas so much I wouldnt want to suck up to a team that Dallas respects.
Fiction: Brandon Jacobs is as important to the Giants as Plaxico Burress was. No way they let him leave, especially seeing how important he is to their running game. It seems that the more expendable back is Ward or Ahmad Bradshaw and look for them to leave, like Ryan Grant did.

FOF: The AFC is still stronger than the NFC overall

FACT. NFC has 5 above average teams that look good in a shit conferance.
The AFC has 8 above average teams that look worse due to losing to other good teams.

FOF: The Eastern divisions are the most competitive therefore the best divisions in the league

FOF: If you have a bad secondary, and all players were on the draft table, you would take the athletic safety (Ed Reed) over the shutdown corner (Champ Bailey).

The impact of a genuine shutdown corner should never be discredited. In terms of the influence of the play of "individual" positions in the National Football League, true shutdown cornerbacks, I would argue, lead the pack when dictating the fortunes of a defence. In my book, not even a single dynamic defensve lineman can dictate an opposing offence like a star corner, as it typically takes the support of 2-3 or more others in the trenches to emphasise their pass- rushing and playmaking impact. The beauty of a shutdown cornerback is that they are typically at their best when you don't see them. People fall into the trap of assuming that big plays are everything, but cornerbacks don't need to show up on highlight reels in order to substantially damage the functioning of the opposition moreso than almost anyone else. Depending on how they are utilised, a genuine shutdown corner can be placed on an island against the best recievers, and consistently relied upon to stymie them. This is the first step in their arsenal, limiting the impact of the most damaging and devestating athletes on the gridiron. With a QB's key weapon under control, this opens up a whole erray of problems for the other team. Suddenly safeties, like Ed Reed at Baltimore, can be freed up to hawk the quarterback and man the passing "lanes" rather than having to play support coverage on every down and thus have their playmaking capabilities all- but wiped out. Safeties may then also be incorporated more prevalently in run- support. Linebackers are afforded the chance to play nearer the line of scrimmage and maintain their structure ensuring the defence isn't "spread" and left vulnerbale to easy gains through the slot as is so often the case. This helps if a team has a good tight end. QB's when under pressure will often seek out their number one reciever as an easy bail- out, but should he be consistently well- covered, QB's can panic and throw up low percentage balls more often which brings others into the game. The mental effect of such solid coverage can be telling on a QB as a game wears on. And obviously, when a QB isn't able to hit- up his "go-to" player all the time, more time is bought for the defensive line to get to the QB and capitalise. It may be argued that a single shutdown corner can be easily avoided and the other side of the field abused because it is weaker, but never forget that the other side of the field can be defended with greater man power and, in turn, more effectively in terms of man coverage with a shutdown corner in control of the other. There is little coincidence that the Oakland Raiders with Nnamdi Asomugha have still possessed a surprisingly strong pass defence over recent years in spite of their misfortunes. When you have a defender who can shut down one- side of the field (almost literally) it makes a big, big difference. Unfortunately though, players of this calibre at all levels of football are so few and far between cornerbacks become easy targets for underapprecietion. If you played someone like Ed Reed, an athletic safety at a Detroit or Miami or Cleveland etc, he wouldn't be able to do the things he does now at Baltimore with the help he has against the pass.

FOF: The Eastern divisions are the most competitive therefore the best divisions in the league

Fiction: I would say that the NFC East is probably the best division in the NFC and maybe could be the best in the league. The AFC East however is weak, may be competitive but not the best division in the AFC. I would place the AFC South as being the best in the AFC, whilst the Steelers and Ravens make the AFC North also good. The Pats with Brady, the Dolphins rebuilding, the Jets being the Jets and the Bills not there just yet to me make the AFC East the third best in the AFC.

FOF: Matt Cassel is a better QB than Matt Leinart

Fiction: I would say that the NFC East is probably the best division in the NFC and maybe could be the best in the league. The AFC East however is weak, may be competitive but not the best division in the AFC. I would place the AFC South as being the best in the AFC, whilst the Steelers and Ravens make the AFC North also good. The Pats with Brady, the Dolphins rebuilding, the Jets being the Jets and the Bills not there just yet to me make the AFC East the third best in the AFC.

FOF: Matt Cassel is a better QB than Matt Leinart
very tough. Cassel had better receivers and o-line than Warner so Warner is better. And Warner and Leinart have been fighting for the year leading into week 1 this year. Ill say Fiction.

FOF: Larry Fitzgerald will improve his stats over the years once Warner leaves and he's stuck with Leinart

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fiction. NFC East > You.

FOF- The Raiders will again miss the playoffs in 2009

Let it be bookmarked today----FICTION----the Davis is putting together a very good coaching staff. I mean really he is. Not homerism there. As long as he doesnt promote Hackett to OC, but keeps him QB coach. But there's a lot of goodness in names like Skipper Kelly and Sanjay Lal etc.

FOF: The Patriots, with so many coaches leaving, and Pioli, Brady returning from major injury, aging D players and a not so good OL, etc, the Patriots era is over? Years of mediocrity to follow?

very tough. Cassel had better receivers and o-line than Warner so Warner is better. And Warner and Leinart have been fighting for the year leading into week 1 this year. Ill say Fiction.

FOF: Larry Fitzgerald will improve his stats over the years once Warner leaves and he's stuck with Leinart

Fiction: In my mind, Warner is a better QB than Leinart is. I don't personally rate Leinart, he looks to me that he has some potential, but I'm not sure he is one to apply it all to the football field. Fitzgerald will be a good receiver whoever the QB is, but I think he works better with Warner than with Leinart.

"FOF: The Patriots, with so many coaches leaving, and Pioli, Brady returning from major injury, aging D players and a not so good OL, etc, the Patriots era is over? Years of mediocrity to follow?"

That's a hard one to pick. To me, I believe that with Belichick and Brady, the Pats can never be discounted but your reasons are definitely valid. We saw this year that without Brady, the Pats still are a team that can have an impact but some might say that their schedule was easy. I'm going to say fiction, the Pats are a team that still has an explosive offence if Brady returns to somewhere near his best. The defence is getting younger, Mayo is going to be a "stud" linebacker and with the 3 picks in the first 2 rounds (maybe more if Cassel is traded under the franchise tag) I expect this defence to improve. The O-line isn't bad, they did keep Cassel cleaner and Brady is not always lying on the floor (SB 42 aside). In Bill we trust!

FOF: No team can win the SB without a balanced offence.

FACT: I'd go further and say that all SB teams really need a balanced team all over. Good defense, good offense, and the offense having a balanced pass-run ability. The cliches in football are always true---you need a running game and defense wins championships. The Cards couldnt wear down the Steelers D all game, couldnt open up the deep passing thru the run, couldnt eat the clock, and their defense was the reason the Steelers were able to drive up the field and win at the end. The thing is too, while teams may not have balanced offenses or balanced teams during the regular season, in the playoffs/SB itself you generally find the winning team was able to run and pass the ball well, and make defensive stops at crucial times.

FOF: Jim Schwartz will turn the Lions around as soon as the Falcons/Miami were turned around?

Fiction: It's going to take a long long time to fix that team. No O-line, no QB, rubbish linebackers, shithouse DB's, average D-line.

The only thing that they have going for them is a promising young RB and an amazing WR.

FOF: Michael Crabtree is as good as a prospect as what Calvin Johnson was back in 2007

Fiction: Calvin Johnson has far more speed, vertical leap, etc etc. Not saying Crabtree is crap. But as an athlete he's less of a prospect than Johnson, who went top 3 in a very talent stacked draft at all positions. In that, Crabtree could end up a better player, or worse player, or both the same at the end of their careers, but as a "prospect" Johnson far more explosive and "got it all".

FOF: Once again we'll see no great trade action on draft day in the first round? No teams drastically moving up to grab a player?

Fiction: Calvin Johnson has far more speed, vertical leap, etc etc. Not saying Crabtree is crap. But as an athlete he's less of a prospect than Johnson, who went top 3 in a very talent stacked draft at all positions. In that, Crabtree could end up a better player, or worse player, or both the same at the end of their careers, but as a "prospect" Johnson far more explosive and "got it all".

FOF: Once again we'll see no great trade action on draft day in the first round? No teams drastically moving up to grab a player?

Fact. With the economic crisis the way it is, teams will be more reluctant to trade up and deal with the subsequent fat salary that is required. Also, there doesn't seem to be a real slam dunk QB or anything like that that's worth selling the farm for. And, as you say the big trade up seems to happen less and less these days...

FOF: LT is a Charger next year....

FACT: LT knows he wont get much money elsewhere, and will take a lesser contract and less carries thru the year to another #1, winding down on a career like Shaun Alexander.

FOF: Larry Johnson wont be a Chief in 09.
Fact. he wants out. Either He will be traded. Or he'll be cut, just to free up $.

FOF: the 2009 NFL season is TO's last

FICTION: TO is still good enough talent/physically to keep playing for 3+ years and will do so. He'll probably wanna rack up as many stats as possible to aim for a HOF shot. And hungers for a SB.

FOF: TO wont be a Cowboy in 09?
Fiction. We all know the franchise will keep him, even though every other person knows he should leave.

FOF: Matt Cassell will still be at New England, come week 1 of the pre-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Other Fact or Fiction

Remove this Banner Ad

Back