Falloon - what's he doing? Packing his bags!

Remove this Banner Ad

Port's fitness has popped up in a few threads as well as commented on in the media.

Cam Falloon has had 3 years with Port now and we continue to look physically mismatched against other teams, cannot run out a quarter let alone a match, some players physically appear to be out of condition (see discussion around Krakouer last year and Carlile this year), we continue to get soft-tissue injuries and seem to take a long time to recover back to match fitness.

Do you think that examination of his outcomes is unfair or has he had a decent chance to have shown more by now?

If it ain't physical, then it's mental, which also demands questions of our "psych/counselling" staff.

As you say, we have been burnt repeatedly not only in the red-time of matches, but also late in time-on during individual quarters.

I'd also argue that our timing of rotations may be contributing to this. Sometimes, we have to use more common sense when choosing to rest certain players. Giving Brogan a spell 5 minutes before 3/4 time might seem a good idea at the time, but if it results in 2-3 late goals due to D. Stewart's incompetence in ruck, it's a bloody problem.

Too early to point the finger at one particular part of Ports overall training regime. Falloon might have been up against it all along if the recruiting dept isnt taking any notice of him in the "type of player" they should be picking. History shows that the recruiting dept have been quite inept at recruiting strong bodied players who have durability

Yep no doubt in my mind we are way behind the fitness 8 ball as well as conditioning.

Whilst i agree the modern game requires a more of a slender athletic build we look scrawny and weak around the hips.

Look at our captains physique as an example. Hes probably our hardest player but how can you backup that hardness if you dont have a body that can at least hold its own?

Especially in the midfield bigger bodies are essential to block, shake small to medium takles and to release other players.

Yep no doubt in my mind we are way behind the fitness 8 ball as well as conditioning.

Whilst i agree the modern game requires a more of a slender athletic build we look scrawny and weak around the hips.

Look at our captains physique as an example. Hes probably our hardest player but how can you backup that hardness if you dont have a body that can at least hold its own?

Especially in the midfield bigger bodies are essential to block, shake small to medium takles and to release other players.

You've picked Ports most dependable and durable player to highlight where our fitness dept has been lacking????????

You've picked Ports most dependable and durable player to highlight where our fitness dept has been lacking????????

in the context in which i refered to him i was discussing physiques, nothing about dependability or durability, whilst they are not mutually exclusive i was focusing on conditioning.

But every season we are the fittest and strongest we have ever been?

Actually the comments coming back from the club this preseason seemed to be about "smarter" training, as distinct from breaking all records for time-trials, bench presses etc.

Primus talked about resting players well between training sessions to ensure their durability during the season - i.e. so they wouldn't pick up mid-season injuries which have plagued the last two home and away campaigns.

Unfortunately, we're still picking up injuries - probably earlier than last year - and we seem so under-prepared, that by mid-season, it may well be too late.

But every season we are the fittest and strongest we have ever been?
For the first preseason in a long time I don't actually recall any of our players coming out with that line. Maybe they did but my bull dung filter did its job.

With only a few exceptions our players have certainly looked like boys against men in the first two rounds this season.

There is absolutely no excuse for being generally smaller and lighter than other teams as well as being generally slower and having generally less endurance. Absolutely no excuse. When we've been smaller in the past we've at least been pacy and able to run out games.

I'm holding on to the hope that we are aiming to peak later in the season and destroy some teams with our superior fitness.

He was "sacked" from the Dogs wasn't he?

I said it earlier, if you pay peanuts what do you get?

Our fitness seems average, you would imagine he's on the chopping block.

TBH, against West Coast, the players coming off looked way more exhausted and that was in the first quarter!

You really need to question what Falloon is doing. 3 years, you'd expect some of the players to be much bigger than they currently are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a big call, but I would love to see Ben Cousins as our Fitness Coach. He rarely ever had trouble running out a game and seems to be a person who makes others want to push themselves, look at how Richmond's midfield fitness suddenly started to go upwards with Ben Cousins there.

This is a big call, but I would love to see Ben Cousins as our Fitness Coach. He rarely ever had trouble running out a game and seems to be a person who makes others want to push themselves, look at how Richmond's midfield fitness suddenly started to go upwards with Ben Cousins there.

You do remember he is/was a former drug addict?

TBH, against West Coast, the players coming off looked way more exhausted and that was in the first quarter! .....
Clearly our players and the West Coast players didn't read the script. West Coast were going to have trouble running out the game because of one less day's break after playing in stiffling conditions in Perth last Sunday. :eek:

..... I would love to see Ben Cousins as our Fitness Coach. He rarely ever had trouble running out a game ....
You do remember he is/was a former drug addict?
There was an article in one of the weekend papers on how the German army during WWII were on crystal meth.

The Nazis' secret weapon: they were high

He was "sacked" from the Dogs wasn't he?

I said it earlier, if you pay peanuts what do you get?

Our fitness seems average, you would imagine he's on the chopping block.

The thing is from reports at the time his appointment was something of a coup and he is being paid far from peanuts.

The thing is from reports at the time his appointment was something of a coup and he is being paid far from peanuts.

In comparison to other clubs is it peanuts?

How much of a coup is it getting a sacked employee? I dunno, as you rightly pointed out, it just doesn't seem to be working.

It's goign to be a long year and I just hope our coaches box is reviatlised. BTW I am happy to merge my thread with this if you want, sort of similar topic just broader.

Maybe Rick has information to the contrary but I don't recall he was sacked by the Dogs. Port reported his appointment as a high profile piece of headhunting and the talk at the time was he was paid handsomely to relocate.

Fitness coup for Power

Yeah, when WCE came down our end during the warm-ups it was noted by all and sundry how big and strong they looked compared to us - "back on the 'roids", quipped one punter.

I can stand coorected, but I thought he was terminated from the dogs because of his strategies.

I will look into it and get back to on that one :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Falloon - what's he doing? Packing his bags!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back