Review What do you mean we f**king won at Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the feeling that Scott is angry at himself but being too cowboyish with his tactics and he ultimately cost the game on the weekend. Once he implemented his adjustments, they almost cruised to victory but ran out of time.

It was a great win by the boys but underlying it is a bit of worry against them next time.

I will say that Geelong will no doubt throw a couple of sheep stations at Freo for Sean Darcy in the offseason.
They were lucky they got as close as 6 points. We were 5 goals up just on three qtr time and had the umpires not been ridiculously over zealous on the second fifty against Willie they don’t get the goal to get them back to 24 points. In my opinion we had their measure for most of the evening.

Caller on 5AA spoke to Tredders about this topic then the caller starting veering off about the coaches soft cap. Tredders acknowledges the performance especially the second half fade out. I think he knows that this was an ambush performance and may not be replicated again when it matters most.
It wasn’t a second half fade-out. Cats were always going to respond but we were also pretty good in the second half.

Caller on 5AA spoke to Tredders about this topic then the caller starting veering off about the coaches soft cap. Tredders acknowledges the performance especially the second half fade out. I think he knows that this was an ambush performance and may not be replicated again when it matters most.
There was an element of “ambushing”, but Geelong did make tactical changes to counter Port’s ambushing.

I’m not 100% convinced that Port counted them all, particularly towards the end of the 3rd. Port seem to struggle to shut down opposition momentum.

When Willie kicked his fourth goal 23 minutes into the third quarter we still had control of the game with a 30+ margin. Then they had a run of 3 goals in 5 minutes including that ridiculous 100m penalty and then it was back to a 3 goal margin and they had all the momentum. JHF kicks that goal in the last quarter and we would have taken the wind out of their sails and won by 4-5 goals.

We still goaled early in the last and created scoring opportunities after that to stem their surge.

What was most impressive was the response. From almost ever goal they kicked we managed to bite back. A very big what happened power was on the horizon but we managed, somehow to pull through which is hall marks of a good team. Hawkins’ record, home crowd advantage, us with a novice ruckman, coming off their first loss and massive margin down had all the hallmarks of a remarkable comeback especially how we coughed up the lead against the pies and yet we perservered

Timmy G's conversation with Jimmy Bartel on Thursday night will be interesting. Last week Jimmy was asked, "Do you think Port can win tomorrow night?" He replied, "No - in fact I think the Cats will win by 175 points." 😄 Ginever said last night, "Oh well - he was only 30 goals out."

No doubt Timmy will also bring up the topic of the Cameron debacle - Bartel's response will be fascinating.

Surely Bartel was joking

although some of the calls on here beforehand were hard to tell if people were serious or not with the amount that were predicting a 100 point plus loss.

They were lucky they got as close as 6 points. We were 5 goals up just on three qtr time and had the umpires not been ridiculously over zealous on the second fifty against Willie they don’t get the goal to get them back to 24 points. In my opinion we had their measure for most of the evening.
I really hope so but I definitely don't see it that way at all.

Once they got their matchups right and clamped down on any run from the stoppage, we were toast and didn't really have an answer.

They definitely got a fair whack of umpiring decisions in the second half though.

We did fight though, we didn't capitulate.

Pretty bland stuff.

Interestingly, at the end of their video, it looked like Rioli kicked the ball before the siren went.
I haven’t had a chance to watch the whole match yet, but I saw that clip and thought the same about Rioli's goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back