Fan threatened with eviction from MCG for barracking too loud

Remove this Banner Ad

And it sounds like the AFL is responding to the fan backlash but there's still no evidence that it was based on an AFL directive or some grand conspiracy to enact social Marxism which has been suggested in this thread. I think it's generally agreed that a "No dickheads" policy is a good thing but that managing the crowd behaviour went too far over the mark. I'm yet to see anything that proves it was part of some bigger crackdown by the AFL.

What about those that were waiting for the AFL to state that they are having a crackdown on crowd behaviour so they can applaud them for that stance?

We had what, 4 serious fights either at games or directly after games in Melbourne to end last year and start this year?

Is it that surprising that there has been a crackdown? Whether that is from VicPol, stadium management (which I don't believe the AFL are even for Marvel), private security companies or whoever it was bound to happen.

They have probably gone 10% too far, though I don't mind them asking people to leave in the ONE eviction that has been documented. Don't run to the fence and abuse someone and you won't get kicked out. I think thats a fair enough rule. The "sky is falling" outrage doesn't seem to line up with one eviction. Has their been more? Or is it currently

1 x "Bald headed flog" eviction
1 x Hawthorn jumper puller warning
1 x Collingwood fan warning
1 x green maggot RCS "self imposed" ban

Does that warrant this much outrage?

You think that someone should lose their job because they are overseeing an organisation which has tried to create a version of the game that would allow it to prosper in other parts of the world and hopefully allow a greater range of international athletes to take part in Aussie Rules?
Thinking of profits over fans. The botched rules changes rushed in. AFLX. The bloke is completely out of touch of the fans. His Vic-centric bias. Inability to get on top of continous umpring issues. The list goes on.

100% he needs to go.

We had what, 4 serious fights either at games or directly after games in Melbourne to end last year and start this year?

Is it that surprising that there has been a crackdown? Whether that is from VicPol, stadium management (which I don't believe the AFL are even for Marvel), private security companies or whoever it was bound to happen.

They have probably gone 10% too far, though I don't mind them asking people to leave in the ONE eviction that has been documented. Don't run to the fence and abuse someone and you won't get kicked out. I think thats a fair enough rule. The "sky is falling" outrage doesn't seem to line up with one eviction. Has their been more? Or is it currently

What did you think of Nat Edwards tweet? 10% too far. Fk off.

Where are the security when the heat is on? They vanish.

Gil should have already stood down because of the abomination he brought us in AFLX.

Can't wait until this bloke ****s off.

AFLX, EFC, constant changes of the rules, umpring, fixture, selling the game out broadcasters, NZ, China, AFL grass roots and country footy, behaviour of executives at AFL head office not to mention his total apathy toward the fans of the game. Good legacy to leave.

yesterday

today

Is it reasonable to ask what is happening (if anything)? It's as clear as mud.
Gil wants it to happen, but is letting someone take the heat.

He gets to pretend to be on the side of the fans, stadium management will say safety is more important and they will modulate their response but it's also up to fans to behave etc. etc.

The officers will stay, keep being pricks and wait for the public to give up. It will only change if crowds dip.

What did you think of Nat Edwards tweet? 10% too far. Fk off.

I'd stick with what I said - it is 10% too far.

Bored - Inattentive - Silent - Quiet - Non-Vocal (clapping) - Slight Vocal - Vocal - Highly Vocal - Abusive - Violent

If we say they are stages 1-10 of viewing the footy, Abusive gets warned and Violent gets evicted.

Right now they have it as Highly Vocal gets warned an Abusive gets evicted. 10% off

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gil wants it to happen, but is letting someone take the heat.

He gets to pretend to be on the side of the fans, stadium management will say safety is more important and they will modulate their response but it's also up to fans to behave etc. etc.

The officers will stay, keep being pricks and wait for the public to give up. It will only change if crowds dip.

The AFL had caterers bring food prices down during the "Year of the Fan". Does he seriously expect us to believe he's not pulling the strings?

I don't think it is that simplistic though.

When people like Nat Edwards (who I doubt is the type to fire volleys of abuse at umpires) are saying that they feel awkward and "spied on" by security, is that acceptable?

Just throw even harder bans at the idiots who punch on I reckon.

I don't think it is that simplistic though.

When people like Nat Edwards (who I doubt is the type to fire volleys of abuse at umpires) are saying that they feel awkward and "spied on" by security, is that acceptable?

Just throw even harder bans at the idiots who punch on I reckon.

Maybe- but I don't think it is a major issue to try to prevent them earlier if they think that the overly vocal supporters are a common factor in the punch ons. I think it needs a bit of a tweak, but at the moment there is a bit of confirmation bias in this. How often was Nat Edwards looking at security before the media firestorm. I imagine they spend a lot of time eyeballing people they think are a chance to cross from highly vocal into abusive.

It does. If anyone gets evicted for those things mentioned, all trivial. it’s a denial of justice and fairness and mostly common sense. The fact this is now happening to the people’s game is simply wrong.

Because words mean something.

If someone started yelling "flubble bubble" all over the place nobody would care. It doesn't mean anything. If words were just random sounds of course it wouldn't matter.

But if you're yelling "youre a ******* campaigner" at a player you've picked a set of words that are intended to make someone else feel ****. Words you know that a portion of society get offended by (whether you agree with it or not).

I don't care if people swear, I swear constantly. But at the footy when somone is swearing it's already a flag that they're a loose unit. Usually with beer in hand, another warning flag which on its own doesn't mean anything. But you start to hear the tone these things are said with, and wen you get a sniff that someone doesn't give a **** if they affect people around them you start to think that there's a chance they'll do something you don't want your kids exposed to.

That's my position. My friends swear around my kids all the time. They know I don't care. But out in a crowd it means something else.
Next game I’m calling the umpire a flubble bubbler.

'But but I've always been allowed to swear at the football... stop taking away my rights!'

No, you haven't. They are just enforcing the conditions of entry more rigorously now. According to anecdotes on here, it seems most people aren't getting kicked out for just swearing anyway.

No it's not. Read the conditions of entry. **** and campaigner are covered by it. Maggot isn't. Contextually it could be if it's being purposely used to abuse someone and make them feel unsafe.
Thought one of the ejected fans was for calling umpire a green maggot...

It does. If anyone gets evicted for those things mentioned, all trivial. it’s a denial of justice and fairness and mostly common sense. The fact this is now happening to the people’s game is simply wrong.

What common sense, fairness or justice is there for screaming at another person that they are a bald headed flog?

It's not even barracking. It is the only one that has had anyone evicted and it is just personal abuse. If you cannot contain yourself from personally abusing people in a social setting then stay in your home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fan threatened with eviction from MCG for barracking too loud

Remove this Banner Ad

Back