FanFooty Fanplanner 2009 (v2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering about the mids, Tarquin, would a better mix be 1 captain option 1 keeper (Gibbs/Boak), 2 mids 2 rookies? I think thats what im going with!

Just wondering about the mids, Tarquin, would a better mix be 1 captain option 1 keeper (Gibbs/Boak), 2 mids 2 rookies? I think thats what im going with!

It all depends on what your plan is and where you see the value.

Currently I feel the need to start the season with two captain options, I've picked the Midfield to be where I place my options.

By all means, there is nothing wrong with your suggestion. What you're suggesting should allow you to spend the extra money in other sections.

As I said in my first post, I'm taking some gambles in the forward line at the moment. This is allowing me to spend a little more in other sections.

I've attempted to do a combination of durability with positive value players.

Durability means players that have shown the ability to consistently be almost injury free.
Positive Value players are players which I see as improving on their 2008 average, by roughly 10+ppg.
Negative value players are those that will either hold their average or only slightly increase their average.

It is all about getting that balancing act between value and durability. The problem that a lot of teams get into is selecting a heap of "value" picks which have big durability issues.

And Brennan isn't a Back now, so that moves him up to 9th. But then you add in Enright and Hodge that are now backs and he is back down to 11th :)

Yeh great point:thumbsu: - didnt think of those changing position

If he is the 10th best back than hes well in truly are premium/keeper.

Exactly - i dont think you would upgrade him unless the rest of your team was basically perfect, as itd be kind of a sideways trade (say for 3-4ppg increase).

Backs - 6 Keepers + 1 Midranged player
Mids - 2 Premiums (Captain Options) + 2 Mid priced + 2 Rookies
Rucks - Lock and Leave.
Forwards - 1 Premium + 2 Keeper + 2 Mid priced + 2 Rookies
I think that is pretty unrealistic to fit into the salary cap, 6 defenders as keepers would take up more than 1/3 of your cap. But I guess it all depends on your definition of a premium/keeper/mid price. It would help if you gave a few examples of what you define as these.

I think that is pretty unrealistic to fit into the salary cap, 6 defenders as keepers would take up more than 1/3 of your cap. But I guess it all depends on your definition of a premium/keeper/mid price. It would help if you gave a few examples of what you define as these.

I think it fits in fine, here's my structure:

Backs: 6 keepers, 1 Petterd (don't know how to classify him:))
Mids: 1 Premium, 1 Keeper but likely premium, 2 mid price, 2 cheapies
Rucks: 1 keeper, 1 mid price
Forwards: 2 premium, 1 keeper, 2 mid price, 2 cheapies

That leaves 100k in the bank which is what I would like.

Anyone for Chaynee Stiller?

Averaged:
84.5 in 2006 (13 Games)
82.1 in 2007 (22 Games)
65.2 in 2008 (10 Games)

So looks to be underpriced at 311k.

Probably not a keeper but i think he has the potential to average 80-85, though unfortunately i think this would still require an upgrade (hes a centre). Still finding a player to improve 15-20ppg is profitable.

Question over his durability though - what happened last year? Was he injured or did he just get dropped?

Cheynee is certainly worth considering if he is named as a back.

Has to get a game first.

If he can cement a spot in the 22 a lot depends on whether or not Voss goes with a higher possession game than Matthews.

They were ranked last in kicks, handballs, disposals (obviously) and marks last year.

They were ranked last in kicks, handballs, disposals (obviously) and marks last year.

So the only way is up then? At the very worst, they could just play the same style and manufacture the same amount of stats.

The odds of Voss playing the same style would be slim though. If he aims to play the same style of footy, the change of coach would be questioned by all.

Backs:
Sam Fisher
Brendon Goddard
Corey Enright
Lindsay Gilbee
Jordan McMahon

Ricky Petterd
Nick Suban

Jack Grimes
Michael Hurley (Emg)

Mids:
Kane Cornes
Jordan Lewis
Bryce Gibbs

Mark Coughlan
Ben Cousins
Daniel Rich

Steele Sidebottom (Emg)
Jason Davenport

Rucks:
Dean Cox
Hamish McIntosh

Daniel Currie
Jake Orreal

Fwds:
Steve Johnson
Matthew Pavlich
Brendan Fevola

Scott Lucas
Shaun Higgins
Sean Russling
Chris Yarren

Hayden Ballantyne (Emg)
Michael Walters

$86 000 Left over
Keepers in BOLD

Fair few rookies I know but pretty confident most of them will get a gig in early 2009.

Last year I made so many trades in my backline I decided to start pretty strong there this year.

The plan is to upgrade McIntosh to Simmonds later on.

You might think Fevs a bit of a strange one for DT but got a feeling he’s going to have a massive year DTwise.

Anyone got any comments or advice?

Backs:
Sam Fisher
Brendon Goddard
Corey Enright
Lindsay Gilbee
Jordan McMahon
Ricky Petterd
Nick Suban

Jack Grimes
Michael Hurley (Emg)

Mids:
Kane Cornes
Jordan Lewis
Bryce Gibbs
Mark Coughlan
Ben Cousins
Daniel Rich

Steele Sidebottom (Emg)
Jason Davenport

Rucks:
Dean Cox
Hamish McIntosh

Daniel Currie
Jake Orreal

Fwds:
Steve Johnson
Matthew Pavlich
Brendan Fevola
Scott Lucas
Shaun Higgins
Sean Russling
Chris Yarren

Hayden Ballantyne (Emg)
Michael Walters

$86 000 Left over
Keepers in BOLD

Fair few rookies I know but pretty confident most of them will get a gig in early 2009.

Last year I made so many trades in my backline I decided to start pretty strong there this year.

The plan is to upgrade McIntosh to Simmonds later on.

You might think Fevs a bit of a strange one for DT but got a feeling he’s going to have a massive year DTwise.

Anyone got any comments or advice?

Very very close to what i have planned, minus the fev and a couple of others. Good side i reckon:thumbsu: I don't care what anyone reckons, Lucas if fit is a keeper!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Backs:
Sam Fisher
Brendon Goddard
Corey Enright - like these top three:thumbsu:
Lindsay Gilbee - better options than gilbee i would think. Much prefer gram/birchall/buckley at this price.
Jordan McMahon - i would think newman has more upside
Ricky Petterd - pretty common choice:)
Nick Suban - more about rookies to be found out in preseason

Jack Grimes
Michael Hurley (Emg)

Mids:
Kane Cornes
Jordan Lewis - watch others around this price too during preseason (boak, adcock, knights, lockyer, goodes, van berlo, young sewell)
Bryce Gibbs
Mark Coughlan
Ben Cousins - both cousins and coughlan = very high injury risk. I would rather start a rookie than coughlan too, though its hard to say now.
Daniel Rich

Steele Sidebottom (Emg)
Jason Davenport

Rucks:
Dean Cox
Hamish McIntosh - good rucks, but personally id rather simmonds/hille than this combo and maybe try to upgrade to cox in rounds 6-8 cox of his poor history against first couple of teams, thats just me though

Daniel Currie
Jake Orreal

Fwds:
Steve Johnson
Matthew Pavlich - love these premiums:thumbsu:
Brendan Fevola - yeh i like fev too. think the delivery too him will only get better and better so he shoudl
Scott Lucas - yep agree, very durable history before 2008
Shaun Higgins - obviously watch alwyn, veszpremi, connors etc in preseason
Sean Russling - risky but huge upside
Chris Yarren

Hayden Ballantyne (Emg)
Michael Walters - seems to be too 'light' for AFL with ballantyne to take the spot open for walters. I would rather heyne who i think can slot into STK. Wait till preason though!

$86 000 Left over
Keepers in BOLD

Always good to have some cash left, but it could be used to remove a rookie out of forward line for abother player around 200k with some shuffling. Overall a good team with some different names in the backline but yeh, good effort before preseason!

Thoughts in red.

goddard
cornes
shaw/newman
buckley
malceski - yep could definately come good for 80+ and all reports are that he is training very well and is fit as
petterd
hurley - interesting backs. Very different to most others with less premiums a couple of mid pricers and even starting a genuine rookie (first one ive seen!)

lynch
gallman

tuck - i think with the backs you have you need a genuine captain option like bartel/swan/kane
gibbs
boak - watch for others around this price range in preaseason
cousins - very kind of richmond centred mids (tuck/cuz/coughlan), i dont usually mind this (couple from one team) but seems a bit unbalanced for some reason:confused:
haselby - i prefer this guy over cousins but yep:thumbsu:
rich

coughlan
sidebotom

cox
macintosh - probably going to be very popular ruck combo in 2009

vickery
clarke

pavlich
lynch - questions over lynch in my mind, but if u think he can keep going like he did at the end of last year he could be very profitable
monfries
headland
lucas - watch preseason for others around this pricemark too
higgins
yarran

ziebell
rusling

OK. I think you lack genuine captain options (besides cox). If cox plays to his averages for first few rounds (quite poor) who will be captain? a FW? Chad? Think you need a bartel/Swan.

Also, LOTS of injury prone players/players coming back from injury:

Lucas
Headland
HMAC
Coughlan
Hasleby
Cousins
Malceski
Rusling

I would try and reduce these to 3-4.

Your team kinda got bypassed! Ill post a few comments in red.

Anyone for Chaynee Stiller?

Averaged:
84.5 in 2006 (13 Games)
82.1 in 2007 (22 Games)
65.2 in 2008 (10 Games)

So looks to be underpriced at 311k.

Probably not a keeper but i think he has the potential to average 80-85, though unfortunately i think this would still require an upgrade (hes a centre). Still finding a player to improve 15-20ppg is profitable.

Question over his durability though - what happened last year? Was he injured or did he just get dropped?

Cheynee is certainly worth considering if he is named as a back.

Ive been thinking this.

Any Brisbane supporters got anything about his role in previous years and next season?

Cheynee is unlikely to be in our best 22 next year, a bit of a shame really... wouldn't be expecting him to be any more then a depth player and thus not player over 10 games. When he gets on the park he is a ball magnet so if you hear or read anything suggesting Stiller is in Voss's plans then certainly give him a go. However unless this happens i wouldn't recommend him purely due to the fact he will be playing in the 2's a bit.

Your team kinda got bypassed! Ill post a few comments in red.

Just have some thoughts one some of your comments.

Sean Russling - risky but huge upside

I've seen this written a fair bit. I'm not sure that he does have 'massive upside'. He is a very one dimensional player who relies on the mark-kick-goal combo to score most of his goals. Won't get many possessions. I think an average of 60 could be his ceiling with some big scores and some very small scores.

tuck - i think with the backs you have you need a genuine captain option like bartel/swan/kane

I disagree. IF you have Cox I don't think a premium mid is necessary. IMO Cox and a premium mid is overkill and it takes too much away from the rest of your squad.

Hamish McIntosh - good rucks, but personally id rather simmonds/hille than this combo and maybe try to upgrade to cox in rounds 6-8 cox of his poor history against first couple of teams, thats just me though

It could be my North bias but I think people are really underrating McIntosh. How many ruckmen average 80 at 22 years of age? He'll be 24 next year and ready to enter his prime. I don't think you can call him injury prone after one injury and his 2008 wasn't that bad. He got off to a slow start but ignoring his injury game and his return from injury he averaged 75.

I disagree. IF you have Cox I don't think a premium mid is necessary. IMO Cox and a premium mid is overkill and it takes too much away from the rest of your squad.

What's your definition of a premium player Dazza? $425,000^?

What's your definition of a premium player Dazza? $425,000^?

In the midfield I would consider a premium to be someone you would consider to be a captain option ($475,000+). IMO if you're picking someone in the midfield at 400k+ they should either be:

a) Your #1 captain option (Average 105+)
b) Likely to improve by at least 10 points

I don't think I've explained my thoughts very well and have maybe simplified it too much but hopefully you get the point. Happy to be challenged on those 2 rules above.

I've seen this written a fair bit. I'm not sure that he does have 'massive upside'. He is a very one dimensional player who relies on the mark-kick-goal combo to score most of his goals. Won't get many possessions. I think an average of 60 could be his ceiling with some big scores and some very small scores.

Scoring average of 60 isnt bad for 100k player? Big scores = big price increases too - could sell out at high. Havent seen much of him but he looked good when fit.

Nup, i think you need a MID captain option. Just my opinion, and lets agree to disagreee.

I don't think you can call him injury prone after one injury and his 2008 wasn't that bad. He got off to a slow start but ignoring his injury game and his return from injury he averaged 75.

Sorry next post said it not that one. Meant to be injury prone/retuning from injury. That was just my opinion. Id rather simmo/hille instead of cox/HMAC and try and upgrade to cox in rounds 6-10 (at this stage - i change my mind often though)

Sounds pretty good to me Dazza. I was thinking more along the lines of $400,000+ or so and was going to say that having Cox doesn't mean that you can't have any midfield premiums. But can't argue with that, having Cox & a midfield premium definitely is a little top heavy in that case.

Scoring average of 60 isnt bad for 100k player? Big scores = big price increases too - could sell out at high. Havent seen much of him but he looked good when fit.

It is for a guy who has struggled to play more than a couple of games a season. IMO if you're going to take that big a risk on a player they need to be able to average 80+ if fit (Coughlan).

Nup, i think you need a MID captain option. Just my opinion, and lets agree to disagreee.

Agreed (to disagree):)

Sorry next post said it not that one. Meant to be injury prone/retuning from injury. That was just my opinion. Id rather simmo/hille instead of cox/HMAC and try and upgrade to cox in rounds 6-10 (at this stage - i change my mind often though)

Again, agree to disagree but I believe H has just as much scoring potential as Hille (perhaps a touch less but he's still young) and is probably equally as durable. If there was another ruck around Simmonds price that looked a safe durable selection then I would probably take it but IMO there's nobody there so I'm forced to take a (small) gamble of McIntosh.

Sounds pretty good to me Dazza. I was thinking more along the lines of $400,000+ or so and was going to say that having Cox doesn't mean that you can't have any midfield premiums. But can't argue with that, having Cox & a midfield premium definitely is a little top heavy in that case.

Yeh true, but depends on how well u think cox will start.

In the midfield I would consider a premium to be someone you would consider to be a captain option ($475,000+). IMO if you're picking someone in the midfield at 400k+ they should either be:

a) Your #1 captain option (Average 105+)
b) Likely to improve by at least 10 points

I don't think I've explained my thoughts very well and have maybe simplified it too much but hopefully you get the point. Happy to be challenged on those 2 rules above.

400k? yet average 105? 400k = 2008 average around 84 IIRC

maybe more like 450k?

You misunderstood, I initially answered GS' question by saying IMO a premium is 475k+ and then went onto something completely different. Those two 'rules' are what I would use to justify buying an expensive mid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back