Opinion "Far-West Footy" - GremioPower's blog

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi, guys

This is me:

When I start feeling comfortable doing small commentaries, I will do some in English as well.

Maybe on footy, instead of political theory! šŸ˜‰

You need to get a bigger bookcase to add to the gravitas of your commentaries.

In May 2020 the SMH did a story about what people have on their bookshelves in the background after everyone was being interviewed on Tv on zoom, and people had to do zoom meetings.

Journalist Gideon Haigh started as a general journalist then became a business writer, then sports but the last 25 years has been a full time cricket writer, writing for publications all around the world. Thinks its over 70 publications. His main articles are on Saturday for the Weekend Australian. He has written about 50 books, probably 30-35 about cricket the rest about business and general society and history.

IMO he had the most impressive bookcase(s) from his study on zoom I saw back then, from people all around the world, and over the pandemic in general.

Most of the books are cricket books, but plenty of others as well. The yellow ones you see above his head are the Bible of cricket, Wisden Cricket Almanack (sic) an English publication that has all the info on every English cricket season in depth and from around the world, going back to 1864. He was born in London, so supports England, grew up in Geelong so barracks for Geelong.

Meanwhile, author and cricket journalist Gideon Haigh says he's "a pretty analogue kind of guy" and requires his 10-year-old daughter's help to navigate Zoom calls. But what he lacks in tech literacy he makes up for in actual literature, with an entire room of floor-to-ceiling walls of books.

Each wall has its own category, and the cricket wall features a distinctive yellow strip of Wisden Cricketers' Almanacks, better known as the 'Bible of cricket'. Haigh says in 2012 a removalist told him his book collection weighed five tonnes.

837bf1be3bd032e68526f535a3496f33be188865

RussellEbertHandball, thank you. Itā€™s an improvised studio in my office.

I havenā€™t put any thoughts on the books behind me, to be honest. I would need to make a full makeover, but Iā€™m not making money yet to justify the investment. When this begins to grow, Iā€™ll certainly do it.

There are three book shelves, but they are set as an ā€œLā€. Thatā€™s the one in the center.

The other on the ā€œLā€ long leg is ugly, with files and study notes. So, Iā€™m currently stuck with one for the background. (Besides the lack of space between my desk and the shelves.)

Many books are at home, as well; including some on philosophy, politics, and law (which make most of the works in my office).

I could be wrong GP but I'm fairly certain the emphasis for the Magarey medal is/was on Fairest and Best, and the Vics switched the words around from the inception of the Brownlow.
Maybe REH can help us on that!

Maybe REH can help us on that!
From my 1977 post centenary season SANFL publication - League Football in South Australia.

1897-1905 decade of stabilisation.
"in 1898 W.A. Magarey a prominent sporting personality at the time and the vice president of the association, (it was the SAFA back then) wrote offering to give a trophy to be presented at the close of the season to the man, who in the opinion of the umpires played the fairest and most brilliant football."

"His offer was received with thanks and today is still the most coveted individual award in South Australian Football."

I'm not the greatest fan of the round ball game but I do have a minor interest in Sunderland, albeit their results for decades have often been up and down like a bride's nightie.

Big scores for soccer games regardless of the level of the comp are not that common and there can be enormous excitement in a 1 or 2 goal contest particularly for the fans of the first team to score, but in my opinion any comparison by `Crowie' to AFL goals is onerous, as given reasonable conditions on a given day or night fans of our code expect multiple goals to be scored by the team they support and would no doubt be very unhappy with a soccer style score line, although I suspect our mate Kenny Donuts could be very capable of delivering just that.

I'm not the greatest fan of the round ball game but I do have a minor interest in Sunderland, albeit their results for decades have often been up and down like a bride's nightie.

Big scores for soccer games regardless of the level of the comp are not that common and there can be enormous excitement in a 1 or 2 goal contest particularly for the fans of the first team to score, but in my opinion any comparison by `Crowie' to AFL goals is onerous, as given reasonable conditions on a given day or night fans of our code expect multiple goals to be scored by the team they support and would no doubt be very unhappy with a soccer style score line, although I suspect our mate Kenny Donuts could be very capable of delivering just that.
Footy is a high-scoring game. Soccer is not. Both are fine.

You don't want the sugar hit of semi-final appearances.
I was thinking about Tite and Hinkley right now, actually. His Plan A didnā€™t work and he was clueless.

Brazil lacks leadership just as much as Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2023.02.28 (Fall)
PODCASTING

It still feels unnatural. I need to get better at it. But it will happen over time.

I intend to keep the episodes just as short.

Last edited:
2023.03.02 (Message)
There was an issue with Spreaker.

I will need to find another way to make the podcast.

Shame, because I had already done the Match Review.

2023.03.02 (Youtube)
2023.03.08 (1914)
Last edited:
THE INVENCIBLES

Another episode of Far-West Footy!

On the 1914 team that won every game they played.

#port #portadelaide #footy #bringbackthebars

My maternal grandfather who was born at Bowden in 1899 attended most, if not all of the Alberton oval games in that era.

Until the emergence of Russell Ebert he always said Harold Oliver ( the centreman in the 1914 invincibles team ) was the best footballer he had ever seen.

Interestingly another invincible, and 2X Magarey medallist Sampson `Shine' Hosking was a regular guest on medal counts from the time they were first televised in the late 1960's, and was apparently in attendance when Russell won his first medal in 1971.

edit

Hosking is the 1st player on the left of the front row.
The team was ultimately decimated due to many of them joining the army to fight in WW1, and one of them William Boon ( top row 2nd from the left) was killed in action in France.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion "Far-West Footy" - GremioPower's blog

Remove this Banner Ad

Back