Mega Thread Farewell our Champs - Boomer, Drew, Spud & NDS all gone at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

What is your message? Don't retire the 38 year old games record holder like that again?

None of us like it but I'd like to think none of us really want to start taking backwards steps financially again either.

The message is first and foremost that players and specifically Boomer, who still has strong currency at senior AFL level, should not be sacked and especially in this manner. He is the games record holder, but more importantly he is still good enough and on balance of probability, will be better value to this club next year than 75% of those who line up next year. This year he is equal second for goals kicked with LT after Ben Brown, he is 6th in average disposals per game this year. His career has been a magnificent career and one that deserves far greater respect than to just be told don't come next year.

I have a view that champion players, of whom there are very few, are entitled to call time on their careers. Boomer is the only one in this category at North in my opinion.

The caveat I would have imposed on Boomer is that he be remunerated at a lower level than what he would have demanded in years gone by and that if his form falters, he will be dropped and expected to play for Werribee. If a club has the philosophy that each week it picks players on merit and form alone, then retaining a veteran for another year should never be an issue.

Let me say this also, I have a view; and I heard a former player recently state this also; there is no shame in playing Reserve grade football if your form drops off at the end of your career. That does not in any way diminish any players achievements from the past.

I think what any of us does in the future in respect of renewing or not renewing a membership, is an individual thing. You are entitled to view this in whatever way you like TFW, but equally I will make my decision in line with how I feel as things wash up in the future. Loyalty has to be a two way street. Blind loyalty to the club, something I've followed for a long long time, starts to wear thin when the club acts in the manner it has today.

The club needs to learn this lesson. The club needs to have a look at Hawthorn and how they act in these matters. Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson. All 1 year extensions. At this stage it looks like each of these players will leave on their own terms.

I heard Dermott Brereton today on SEN say that he and a number of very good players were finished up when the club was broke some years ago. The players had no choice in the matter. When he returned to the club as a Director he made a statement that this should never happen again and it seems that the Hawks have heeded this message.

I can't believe that Brad Scott would do this. They don't realise how much a commodity Boomer is for the club financially and on the field. Without Boomer Harvey, I'm certain that revenue will fall down quite easily. The man has carried the club for effectively 20 years and to basically tell him to f off is just blasphemous. I hope that Brad Scott understands the gravity of such a decision, as his time is coming to a near end as well. Regardless of our ability to enter the prelim finals, we actually haven't pushed into the Top 4 in the past couple of years. It was his choice to bring in 4 mature aged players, and basically screw up the list for the future... Now he decides to sack Boomer? That's ridiculous. If Waite stays on next year, I'm certain his form will not improve from this year due to his aging body and injuries. Boomer should've stayed on.

No. I love him as much as any supporter, but no.

Sorry i didnt know there was a requirement for me to post on here? The club has never gotten close to winning a premiership in Scott's time. Despite topping up to do so. Finishing outside of the top 4 and winning a couple of finals is commendable but that's it. Scott has failed and doesnt deserve an extension. His strategy didn't work and his gameplan doesn't stand up nor does it allow the club to dominate oppositon.

Dont be so defensive.

You're obviously a passionate supporter which this Board would benefit.

Take a chill pill dude.

Cant believe you are comparing McCaffer and Toovey to Boomer.
The announcement at Hawthorn went well too and they are on the verge of a 4peat.
Sorry but I think you have missed the point.
The club have a PR disaster on their hands and it will be hard to come back from
I am saying that announcing premiership player retirements on Twitter was ok, and now it's the worst. That's all.

Well we can as stated we have four players over 30 on the list.

Apart from the four you've got rid of who else on the list is over 30? Genuine question, I don't know.

Wells is one & he only gets on the park every now & then. Waite is another & well he's injured & not on the park. What we need is a guy with experience & one who actually gets on the ground. Hey wait...

I am really hopeful the right people at the club will also make the call on Scott so the club can move forward and truly start a new era and long term assault on the success Scott has failed to bring us.

Can't you see that is what he's trying to do?

What screams "new era" more than retiring three of your longest serving players and a further veteran?

What screams "long term assault on the future" more than clearing the way for youngsters to accrue games and experience?

I understand what you mean however four players aren't going to hinder the development of 18 other guys on the list. It's just not going to happen. And I will ask you this - does Boomer look like slowing down? Who is to say that either of these four guys could go again next year and the year after that. Dal is only 32/33, and he wants to play on. You can still speed up the process of redeveloping your list whilst keeping these guys around. Melbourne decided to draft/trade for a bunch of young inexperienced players and they were in rebuild for five years. I really don't want to talk the Saints up in this forum but St.Kilda rebuilt aggressively whilst still keeping the older brigade in Riewoldt, Montagna, Dempster, Schneider, Fisher on the list. You can have both. I don't think it's a good idea letting young players develop without the guidance of champions like Petrie Dal Firrito and Boomer

We still have about 4 or 5 guys who over or around the 30 year old mark anyway. Some of them had to go. We couldn't keep 9 blokes over the age of 30 on the list for next season, especially when we are only just scraping into the 8.

Dont be so defensive.

You're obviously a passionate supporter which this Board would benefit.

Take a chill pill dude.
The problem i clearly have is why does Scott get more time when his strategy has failed. He took gambles that didnt really get close to paying off and now the list is not in the best state as a result. No one is holding him to account.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you don't know, then why are you running the argument?
I don't understand your post. I'm saying you can have a mix of old and young players on your list, and apart from the four you've let go, nobody else on the list stands out to me, I can't think of any other player over 30 on your list who would be good for the footy club moving forward. I just read Waite and Wells, I would've told them to walk before the four you got rid of. Don't really know what Brad is trying to achieve. You want to free up four spots on the list for younger players, well let Wells and Waite go, that's two there. Firrito is probably past it so can understand that in a sense but the other three still have a lot to give.

We still have about 4 or 5 guys who over or around the 30 year old mark anyway. Some of them had to go. We couldn't keep 9 blokes over the age of 30 on the list for next season, especially when we are only just scraping into the 8.
Yeah completely agree with you mate but if you want to free up four spots I think there's better options than these four!

I don't understand your post. I'm saying you can have a mix of old and young players on your list, and apart from the four you've let go, nobody else on the list stands out to me, I can't think of any other player over 30 on your list who would be good for the footy club moving forward. I just read Waite and Wells, I would've told them to walk before the four you got rid of. Don't really know what Brad is trying to achieve. You want to free up four spots on the list for younger players, well let Wells and Waite go, that's two there. Firrito is probably past it so can understand that in a sense but the other three still have a lot to give.

You pointed out how you kept older players and said North have erred in not doing so. Well, simple research would tell you we still have a core of experienced players, after these four. So your argument is baseless.

Plus, I re-iterate that following the St Kilda and Melbourne models is a surefire recipe for lack of success. No thanks.

Can't you see that is what he's trying to do?

What screams "new era" more than retiring three of your longest serving players and a further veteran?

What screams "long term assault on the future" more than clearing the way for youngsters to accrue games and experience?
But new era requires a new coach to replace the one who's topping up strategy failed to yield results. Has he ever acknowledged that his strategy failed? I am just disgusted that he isnt being held to account when he is responsible for the predicament. It is never a new era while Scott is there. The gameplan hasn't stood up and the list requires a massiven clean out. This is the opportunity to start a fresh with a new coach.

But new era requires a new coach to replace the one who's topping up strategy failed to yield results. Has he ever acknowledged that his strategy failed? I am just disgusted that he isnt being held to account when he is responsible for the predicament. It is never a new era while Scott is there. The gameplan hasn't stood up and the list requires a massiven clean out. This is the opportunity to start a fresh with a new coach.

I see your point on this. If the strategy failed, it should be on his shoulders.

The voice of the fans is a very powerful tool? Could we possibly make a difference? This Saturday night at Etihad?
This isn't fair...

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Farewell our Champs - Boomer, Drew, Spud & NDS all gone at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back