Farren ray, how do we feel?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's six years ago now, but after watching him last night, gee we did well out of that deal. Didn't we end up with the pick we used on Roughy as part of it?
Ray + 48 (Nick Heyne) for 31 (Jordan Roughead). I'd say we cleaned up.

The moment a player from us leaves to go to the saints, i automatically hate him regardless of player.
PLus Roughie has proven to become a great player, winner dogs.

Just one of many vanilla footballers, just good enough to get a game , but will never influence one.
Was sad at the time to blow pick 4 on him.
Other than Cooney it was a pretty weak top 10 though, and overall a very weak draft.

Cooney, Andrew Walker, Sylvia, Ray, Brock Mclean, Kepler Bradley, Kane Tenace, Raph Clarke, David Trotter?, Ryley Dunn? - Potentially the worst top 10 ever at a draft.

Beau Waters at pick 11, Mundy at 19, Jed Adcock at 33, Heath Shaw F/S at 48, Daniel Jackson at 53, Sam Fisher at 55 and Ben Hudson to the crows at 58 were the only other decent players. Amazing. Not sure if Andrew Raines at 76 qualifies....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other than Cooney it was a pretty weak top 10 though, and overall a very weak draft.

Cooney, Andrew Walker, Sylvia, Ray, Brock Mclean, Kepler Bradley, Kane Tenace, Raph Clarke, David Trotter?, Ryley Dunn? - Potentially the worst top 10 ever at a draft.

Beau Waters at pick 11, Mundy at 19, Jed Adcock at 33, Heath Shaw F/S at 48, Daniel Jackson at 53, Sam Fisher at 55 and Ben Hudson to the crows at 58 were the only other decent players. Amazing. Not sure if Andrew Raines at 76 qualifies....

It's my pet hate when people give us shit about Ray at pick 4.

Out of the top 30 players picked, Ray has played the 4th most AFL games (176), which isn't a bad return compared to any number of proper duds. The trade that got Rough ended up a total steal because he was a real slider. Was stoked at the time and still smiling.

For what it's worth:
P 1 Adam Cooney - West Adelaide - Football Club Western Bulldogs
P 2 Andrew Walker - Bendigo Pioneers - Carlton
P 3 Colin Sylvia - Bendigo Pioneers - Melbourne
1 4 Farren Ray - Peel Thunder Football Club - Western Bulldogs
1 5 Brock McLean - Calder Cannons - Melbourne
1 6 Kepler Bradley - West Perth Football Club - Essendon
1 7 Kane Tenace - Murray Bushrangers - Geelong
1 8 Raphael Clarke - St. Mary's Football Club - St. Kilda
1 9 David Trotter - Calder Cannons - Kangaroos
1 10 Ryley Dunn - Murray Bushrangers - Fremantle
1 11 Beau Waters - West Adelaide Football Club - West Coast Eagles
1 12 Ryan Murphy - Gippsland Power - Fremantle
1 13 Brent Stanton - Northern Knights - Essendon
1 14 Fergus Watts - Sandringham Dragons - Adelaide Crows
1 15 Troy Chaplin - North Ballarat Rebels - Port Adelaide
1 16 Josh Willoughby - Glenelg Football Club - Sydney Swans
1 17 Billy Morrison - Tassie Mariners - Collingwood
1 18 Llane Spaanderman - East Perth Football Club - Brisbane Lions
2 19 David Mundy - Murray Bushrangers - Fremantle
2 20 Sam Butler - Central District Bulldogs - West Coast Eagles
2 21 Alex Gilmour - Tassie Mariners - Richmond
2 22 Cameron Thurley - Tasmanian Devils Football Club - Geelong
2 23 Matthew Moody - South Fremantle Football Club - Brisbane Lions
2 24 Chad Jones - Claremont Football Club - Kangaroos
2 25 Harry Miller - Port Adelaide (SANFL) - Hawthorn
2 26 Daniel McConnell - Eastern Ranges - West Coast Eagles
2 27 Adam Campbell - North Ballarat Rebels - Fremantle
2 28 Jay Nash - Central District Bulldogs - Essendon
2 29 Tim Schmidt - West Adelaide Football Club - Sydney Swans
2 30 Brad Symes - Central District Bulldogs - Port Adelaide

Last edited:
Well 5 years ago since I posted on this !
In Ray out Ward feels me with sadness.
Funny how stkilda fans gobbed off on here re. Ray.
He is Vanilla and a few times he's had a bit of chocolate topping, then gone back to his Vanilla self.
Bet they like to have Roughead now in there back six, they wouldn't have needed to pick up a fringe player from North Melbourne.

Turned out to be an honest toiler rather than a star whom we thought we may have got with pick 4. To be honest I've heard some saints fans who wouldn't have believed that they were a whisker from having premiership teams with the likes of him, Robert Eddy, Raph Clarke etc......

Wasn't disappointed to lose him, was more disappointed reading over the players selected after him in that draft. But that's standard fare for many Doggies drafts until recent time.
Cashing in with Roughead now though, and he grew up barracking for us as a kid, so he'll never leave (and even if he tries I'm fairly sure that Chowderhead kid will send him a few cents like young Ryan Adams back in 1996).

Win win for all really, Ray was a reliable player for the Saints during their Premiership challenge, and for us Roughead still has not reached all of his potential, and will be there for our next challenge.

Wasn't disappointed to lose him, was more disappointed reading over the players selected after him in that draft. But that's standard fare for many Doggies drafts until recent time.

I thought that list showed how few better other choices there were that year. But you are right, at other times we have made some very unfortunate draft choices.

I think we did well. Like I said Ray's career will prove to be in the top 5-8%% of that draft. We also got Roughead for him so at least he had trade value unlike Tenance, Bradley, Trotter, Ryley Dunn, Fergus Watts etc

Can I also point out that 'powerhouse' clubs that spend many times the Bulldogs picked up these players with their first picks:

Geelong: Tenace (#7) Thurley (#22)
Collingwood: Billy Morrison(#17) Brayden Shaw (#32)
Hawthorn: Harry Miller (#25)
Sydney: Josh Willoughby(#16) Tim Schmidt (#29)
Adelaide: Fergus Watts (#14) Joshua Krueger (#31)

Western Bulldogs: Adam Cooney(#1) Farren Ray(#4) -> Jordan Roughead

People really need to get a grip when looking at the draft in hindsight. You can't pick the next best or next 2 best players from behind them and say we should have picked them. It simply doesn't work that way.

I think we did well. Like I said Ray's career will prove to be in the top 5-8%% of that draft. We also got Roughead for him so at least he had trade value unlike Tenance, Bradley, Trotter, Ryley Dunn, Fergus Watts etc

Can I also point out that 'powerhouse' clubs that spend many times the Bulldogs picked up these players with their first picks:

Geelong: Tenace (#7) Thurley (#22)
Collingwood: Billy Morrison(#17) Brayden Shaw (#32)
Hawthorn: Harry Miller (#25)
Sydney: Josh Willoughby(#16) Tim Schmidt (#29)
Adelaide: Fergus Watts (#14) Joshua Krueger (#31)

Western Bulldogs: Adam Cooney(#1) Farren Ray(#4) -> Jordan Roughead

People really need to get a grip when looking at the draft in hindsight. You can't pick the next best or next 2 best players from behind them and say we should have picked them. It simply doesn't work that way.
Of course. You pick players based on what you need at the time and going forward.
But it doesn't mean I can't shudder looking at the 2009 Draft and seeing Fyfe, Carlisle and Gunston selected after Christian Howard.

I wonder if the Saints would have taken Roughie with #31? Id say not seeing as they drafted McEvoy the year previous.

So I reckon we would still have got Roughie with #32. So probably we can thank the Saints and Ray for Liam Jones.

I shake my head why I see ppl suggest team x should draft 17 year old KPP to win a flag. I mean thats fine if they can see 6-10 years down the track.

Sure if they have no young kpp's it would be a wiser choice but you can't look at the current make up of a team and then draft to fill holes. You need to trade them in or make do!

Is the OP suggesting he is also Farren Ray, or that Farren Ray has some sort of multiple personality trait?!

But I'm guessing Farren Ray feels alright, seeing he still has an AFL career, is probably getting compensated more than most late-20s males, and he seemed like a down to earth guy when he was with us. I don't hold any animosity towards him, he was nearly a premiership player, which many of his 2003 peers never got close to. He wasn't the greatest, nor the worst, player to pull on the red, white and blue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Farren ray, how do we feel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back