Fastest player of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Ted Rowell - triple premiership player, VFL leading goalkicker and Collingwood captain-coach in the early part of the 20th century - had a reputation for being one of the fastest players ever. He was only just beaten by world champion Jack Donaldson in a match race over 100 yards at Brunswick St Oval - after playing the first half v Fitzroy.

One of football's founders, Henry Harrison, was colonial champion from 1861-67 and was timed to run 100 yards in 10 seconds.

Wojack is easily the fastest man in the AFL today, and i would even argue of all time.

He looks like one of those cartoons with the legs all blurred like when he's at full pace - looks as though he will fall over himself and has no control over his motion!!!

NOt only does fly like the wind, but he has a decent ability to kick at full pace now....something, that i'm sure any footy player will agree, is one of the hardest skills to master!

This!!! Wojacks ability to get it, go from flat footed to full pace in five steps, then keep that pace while carrying and bouncing, THEN hit targets at the same blinding pace makes him nearly impossible to catch from behind.

Jeez Leigh Montagna has come a long way - how pathetic was he, falling over like that?
The Joey we have today would have absolutely nailed Wojak in that situation. Not to take it away from the guy though... woah.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fha1YzWIwJM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fha1YzWIwJM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Poor Montagna :p

well whats the fastest results at a draft camp?

Agility Test: 7.77 - Stephen Hill
20m Sprint: 2.79 - Danyle Pearce
Repeat Sprint: 23.59 - Chris Kangars

I raced against Chris Kangars when he was 16, he ran 48.50 for the 400m, had a lot of talent.

Have also read Akermanis has a PB of 48.4

There's not evidence that people from the last few generations gone were less able to have done what is done today. This is whiggish shite at it's best.

You have to provide evidence that bodies are stronger and fitter, without training, before you can spruik this stuff.

Usain Bolt destroying every previous 100m/200m from the past 20 years isn't proof enough, think before you type....... please :rolleyes:

Relative to his peer group, I always thought it would be Geoff Ablett. Won the GF sprint 3-4 times, and if you watch replays of Hawthorn GFs from the 70s he was lightning.

But geez, Michael Mitchell was _ucking quick from looking at that earlier post.

Wojack is easily the fastest man in the AFL today, and i would even argue of all time.

He looks like one of those cartoons with the legs all blurred like when he's at full pace - looks as though he will fall over himself and has no control over his motion!!!

NOt only does fly like the wind, but he has a decent ability to kick at full pace now....something, that i'm sure any footy player will agree, is one of the hardest skills to master!

I remember one game against Richmond about 5 or 6 years ago, and he and Wayne Campbell were going for the ball. Wojcinski got to it first, turned around and just put on the after burners. Would've put on a 3 or 4m gap on Campbell in just a few steps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniel Chick.

pre-season (think it was 2000) he was 2 seconds over the 400m world record (according to the HErald Sun back then)

Nope, he ran the 400 faster than Cathy Freeman's Olympic victory. Freeman ran it in 49.11

The world record is 43.18, the current national champion did 45.07 to win, Chick did mid 48s from memory.

Yes :(

He held the then record at the draft camp.

Funny how someone can go from being so quick to pace actually being his downfall.

I blame Grant Thomas for running him into the ground when he was clearly struggling with injury.

But then, I don't actually have any evidence to back this up. Just an outsider's view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fastest player of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back