List Mgmt. Father / Son / Daughter Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Why should it be up to the AFL to arbitrarily value a player? A player's value in the draft is whatever pick clubs are willing to use on them. If another club wants to bid a first round pick on Jarman, and we don't value him that highly, then we pass and they have to use that pick on him.

The only way clubs would risk a high draft pick on bidding on a player is if they are willing to take the player for that pick. We saw it last year, when we weren't prepared to bid on Kennedy with our first, even though (from memory), this would have pushed GWS into deficit if they were to match our bid on Himmelberg. In affect, we were not willing to risk losing Milera in order to make GWS pay more and give us a greater chance at snaring Himmelberg with our second pick. (Although, given this was the first year of the new system, it may well be the case that nuances such as the above weren't fully understood by the recruiters).

Not our news but it's interesting that Nick Blakey (son of John) can be selected by both Brisbane and North Melbourne as a F/S, but he also qualifies as an Academy pick for Sydney. How will the AFL play this?

Easy...Sydney will get him as the academy boys are protected species. He should go F/S but you wait and see the VFL will appease their Sydney love childs.

Easy...Sydney will get him as the academy boys are protected species. He should go F/S but you wait and see the VFL will appease their Sydney love childs.

His dad's been there a long time. He probably feels a strong connection to that team and town.

Not our news but it's interesting that Nick Blakey (son of John) can be selected by both Brisbane and North Melbourne as a F/S, but he also qualifies as an Academy pick for Sydney. How will the AFL play this?

If he's good, the AFL will send him to Sydney. If he's not, he will end up at Brisbane

This is why I think the points value is applied to the player, rather than the draft pick that is bid for them. So if the AFL values Ben as a pick between 35-50, should a team bid pick 12 on him we only have to match to the value he is rated at, not the value of a pick at #12.

I think that's how it works, or thats how it should work anyway.
Problem with that is that there really isn't a consensus on where different players are valued. Take Doedee as an example. Adelaide selected him with pick #17. I don't know how highly the other clubs rated him, but none of the phantom drafts I saw had him being selected inside the top-30. Very few had him inside the top-40, yet Adelaide clearly rated him much higher than that.

The way it works now is just fine. If a club bids on a player using pick #12, and Adelaide doesn't think he's worth pick #12 - 20% (points), then they should & will just let him go. If the other club wishes to overpay, then that's their problem - not ours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have it on very good authority that he has already told the Club that he wants to play for the crows
no surprise here ............lets be careful though to not overhype him .........wasn't in the U18 AA team, or considered one of the better Sth Aust players

Yeah ok. Boomer and Caleb go ok.
Not saying young Ben Jarman can't be excellent ......and i understand the supporter excitement at our first Father Son ......i'll suggest though the hype will eventually go over the top and the pressure of the Adelaide Fishbowl "may" in years to come, prove too much if he doesn't reach those expectations

Last edited:

Found this on the SANFL website.
Jarman certainly knows where the goals are.
Some very nice highlights from Stengle too. Where is he likely to go in the draft?

Not saying young Ben Jarman can't be excellent ......and i understand the supporter excitement at our first Father Son ......i'll suggest though the hype will eventually go over the top and the pressure of the Adelaide Fishbowl "may" in years to come, prove too much if he doesn't reach those expectations

It's likely Ben will play afl but I've seen him and would rate At least 5 other sa boys ahead of him and remember sharenberg probably will go between 10 and 20 and will be our first player from SA to go

no surprise here ............lets be careful though to not overhype him .........wasn't in the U18 AA team, or considered one of the better Sth Aust players

I think the club believes his draft range is between low 2nd round to high 3rd round however has more upside than his draft position may suggest

He will take time though

And there you go again Wayne. This seems to be a bug bear of yours. You reckon AFC players are the only players in the AFL who are affected by the fish bowl factor?

And there you go again Wayne. This seems to be a bug bear of yours. You reckon AFC players are the only players in the AFL who are affected by the fish bowl factor?
Absolutely exists in Adelaide more than anywhere else .......with the exception of Perth, which i can't comment about

Like it or not, was the reason Tippett left ......crap on as much as you like about any other factors, but this was the reason

Not you're not. You're discriminating based on hight.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Father / Son / Daughter Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back