Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Remove this Banner Ad

tried a few different beers while I was in Hawaii, some were pretty good. A couple sucked but most were good.
Kona's lager & IPA - meh
Golden Road's Wolf Among The Weed IPA
Waikiki Brewing's Skinny Jeans IPA
Maui Brewing Co. i went to the brewery and tried a few of their limited run beers which were an IPA, a couple of pales & a saison - all good.
probably tried another 5 or 6 other local or west coast pales off draught at restaurants but no idea what brands
The beers in Hawaii (on all islands) totally caught me by surprise, didn't come across a bad one (even a Jalapeno IPA was insanely good).
I think you can get the Kona Brewing Co beers in Aus but aside from that I don't see many of them about.

I have had "infections" in my last two brews and went through all the troubleshooting and still have no idea why. Fermentation temp is steady (have a proper setup to keep temps even) and everything else seems to be correct. Is absolutely frustrating.

My last two "brews" have actually been a single malt and an american scotch both of which have been damn quality. Spirits might be my thing though I need to get some dark beers up and going for winter.
I'm no expert I'm sorry,

My only issue I had was not getting my gravity down during fermentation on my first and only attempt at a Stout. Had a camping trip planned and let the temperature get way too high which killed my yeast is the guess.

In terms of infections I know even pretty regular brewers get them, first step would be clean and sanitise everything, every tap, pipe ect everything with food grade sanitiser, even getting a new fermenter as some say infections can get in the plastic (maybe I made that up).

Do you enjoy it? Is frustratiing when you lose a brew after a days work and 2 weeks waiting, and knowing it is a free weekend and about 6-8 weeks until you get a drinkable beer again :(

Hawker's new IIPA is really good. Not quite sure how they made a 9% beer so drinkable.

Got one in the fridge... tonight perhaps.

Had this on tap, was sensational (didn't realise it was 7.2% until my second pint).
Hawkers-Beer-West-Coast-IPA-can-171122-105815.png

Surprised at the love for the Colonial South West sour in this thread.

Tried it last night... a very ordinary attempt at the style. Their other one they made as a limited edition for a festival was so much nicer.

The Masterdon sour is a much better option.

I thought it was okay, but I wouldn't buy it again if I were particularly wanting a sour. It really isn't very sour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tried a few different beers while I was in Hawaii, some were pretty good. A couple sucked but most were good.
Kona's lager & IPA - meh
Golden Road's Wolf Among The Weed IPA
Waikiki Brewing's Skinny Jeans IPA
Maui Brewing Co. i went to the brewery and tried a few of their limited run beers which were an IPA, a couple of pales & a saison - all good.
probably tried another 5 or 6 other local or west coast pales off draught at restaurants but no idea what brands
Golden Road is a ****ing great company, Shame it didn't do too well when we brought it over however

accidentally bought corona lights on the weekend :$ didn't know they were even a thing.

also, no need to tell me i'm a pleb for drinking corona - i know. i still enjoy them.
You still need to be called a pleb sorry.

Surprised at the love for the Colonial South West sour in this thread.

Tried it last night... a very ordinary attempt at the style. Their other one they made as a limited edition for a festival was so much nicer.

The Masterdon sour is a much better option.

South West sour, i enjoyed it for what it is. It's an accessable sour. Heavily sweetened. I thought it was a great introduction sour. Anyone whos deep into the rabbit hole wont like it,

I think Colonial is a great little brewery, They know their market, which is basically getting your carlton dry drinkers into drinking actual beer.

South West sour, i enjoyed it for what it is. It's an accessable sour. Heavily sweetened. I thought it was a great introduction sour. Anyone whos deep into the rabbit hole wont like it,

I think Colonial is a great little brewery, They know their market, which is basically getting your carlton dry drinkers into drinking actual beer.
A good introduction but not something to linger over for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back