Golf Favourite Golf Course's

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough, when I had coaching for a little while he used to say getting to the Range was better then playing, for the reason you said.

What did you shoot when you played Rosebud?

Fair enough, when I had coaching for a little while he used to say getting to the Range was better then playing, for the reason you said.

What did you shoot when you played Rosebud?
I've played there a few times but the last time I played was about 18 months ago. I can't remember a specific score but I always play the front 9 much better than the back 9. I love the first hole, a downhill par 5. I'm down to 20 handicap now, so I'm almost a 'bogey golfer' but I'm slowly improving. Now that I have finished Uni I have plenty of time to practice compared to previous years.

Great thread

Heritage in the Yarra Valley by a mile. I've only played the Jack Nicklaus designed course, not the newer Tony Cashmore links course which I have heard is the bees knees in designs, just needs to mature.

Greens are bloody fast, pristine.... chipping out of rough on greens edge onto downslope greens makes for hair pulling :D Aesthetically magnificent,really is a pleasure play on. Signature hole is the par 3 over the water with a cliff face backdrop :thumbsu:

I Highly recommend making a weekend of it like we did, stay overnight, play 18 and spend the next day doing winery tours if thats your thing.

I usually play in the North at Yarrambat or Growling Frog. Growling Frog is a links course and is quite challenging with about 110 bunkrs. Rough used to be virtually unplayable, but they've definitely toned it down the past several mnths(thank God, was really starting to detest it). Highly recommend you get out there one day, fairways are brilliant, greens are vey true, bunkers galore, get on it :thumbsu: If you play wthin yourself you get the rewards, go for too much - stray a bit and this course bites you on the arse!

Want to get to Hidden Valley in WALLAN AND Eynesbury in Melton if anyones played there?

Great thread

Heritage in the Yarra Valley by a mile. I've only played the Jack Nicklaus designed course, not the newer Tony Cashmore links course which I have heard is the bees knees in designs, just needs to mature.

Greens are bloody fast, pristine.... chipping out of rough on greens edge onto downslope greens makes for hair pulling :D Aesthetically magnificent,really is a pleasure play on. Signature hole is the par 3 over the water with a cliff face backdrop :thumbsu:

Yeah, the St John (Nicklaus) course at Heritage is nice, and is definitely preferred by members who have the option of playing the St John and Henley (Cashmore). I don't mind the Henley course though, has some pretty spectacular holes, including the longest Par 4 in Australia (the 16th).

To those contemplating playing at Moonah Links, I recommend the Legends Course, as opposed to the Open course. Its slightly easier (shorter) more spectacular and more fun to play IMO.

Played the Champions course at Sandhurst recently and was not that impressed.

Great thread

I Highly recommend making a weekend of it like we did, stay overnight, play 18 and spend the next day doing winery tours if thats your thing.

Want to get to Hidden Valley in WALLAN AND Eynesbury in Melton if anyones played there?

played at all these courses. heritage is a beauty! had a crap game so my game memories arent that good, but the surrounds are beautiful. kangaroos a plenty.

the sig hole at heritage was amusing the day i played there. there was a bird like kite suspended over the green and a blow up pumpkin bobbing between the cliff and green. they were there to keep the birds away form the green. my playing partner hit the pumpkin but didnt get the lucky bounce. lol.

hidden valley was a while ago. their sig hole is a par 3 hitting onto an island green, accessible via a long steel bridge.

sandhurst is quite boring in my opinion.
dunno what the new course is gonna be like, but the original, imo, is another thompson stuff up. couple of good holes, but in general, boring, and not that tough.

my favorite golf course, that i have played are, in no order:

the dunes
kingston heath
metropolitan
the glades
hope island
lakelands
cranbourne (very underated)
flinders (as above)
the national (moonah)
the national (old)
barwon heads
rich river east
rosebud country club (both courses are great)

and just to add to this list, a few of the courses that i wouldnt waste my time on:

eagle ridge (augusta like clubhouse, freeway like golf course)
national (ocean....another thompson stuff up!!!)
heritage (very american)
safety beach (or as i call it, duck sh1t flats!!)
rosebud public
croydon (thank God it will be gone soon)
chirnside country club

HOPE THAT HELPS!!!

You do realise that Rich River East is a Thomson course? The West course was by Geoff and Ted Parslow.

Metropolitan, Kingston Heath and Yarra Yarra are my favourites although I haven't played any of them for a very long time. Drivers were made of wood then.

Favourite is definately Kooyonga. It by far ****s on any other SA course. It in all essence is perfect, prefect greens, fairways, landscaping, difficulty. Just perfect, 15th hole being my favourite, just magnificent.

Royal Adelaide (after paying almost $300 to play after the Australian Open when I was about 13) was pretty good. I do hear however that out of competition it isn't the best course, and in no means a **** course, but Kooyonga is by far superior.

Grange and Glenelg are overated. Great facilities, course isn't comparable though.

Best views? Victor Harbor G.C, the first hole is simply breathtaking.

In order of courses played (that I can remember)

Kooyonga
Royal Adelaide
Murray Downs
The Vines (Member's bias)
Blackwood
Glenelg
Victor Harbor
Grange
Mt Osmond
Riverside

Yeah that is some view

The National (Old). Playing the Ocean course on Monday. However, the old course is challenging for a hack like me. Also a par 3 hitting over a gorge with the sea in the background. on a misty/rainy day its eerily beautiful!

I agree the scenery is fabulous but the course is by far the inferior course in the complex.
Dicky Robert Trent Jones course with ludicrous greens and questinable design.
The moonah course is a good test in my opinion
golfhp2.jpg

My top 10 in Australia... that I have played

Kingston Heath
Metropolitan
NSW Golf Club
Royal Melbourne West
The Australian
Kooyonga
Lake Karrinyup
The National - Moonah course
Paradise Palms
The Lakes

Honourable mentions
Coolum, Joondalup, Pacific Harbour, Yarra Yarra and Victoria.

My favourites that I've played -

Gary Player - Sun City South Africa
National - Moonah
Moonah Links - Legends
Hope Island -QLD
The Glades - QLD
Cape Schank - VIC
Yarra Yarra - VIC
Woodlands - VIC
Robina Woods - QLD
Rosebud Country Club - West Course
Keysborough -VIC
Southern - VIC

Most overrated
Eagle Ridge - toilet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favourites that I've played -

Gary Player - Sun City South Africa
National - Moonah
Moonah Links - Legends
Hope Island -QLD
The Glades - QLD
Cape Schank - VIC
Yarra Yarra - VIC
Woodlands - VIC

Robina Woods - QLD
Rosebud Country Club - West Course
Keysborough -VIC
Southern - VIC

Most overrated
Eagle Ridge - toilet

Both that are highlighted are very good courses.. Underrated and sometimes forgotten sandbelt gems.
Both are very short by modern standards now though.

Both that are highlighted are very good courses.. Underrated and sometimes forgotten sandbelt gems.

Have played Pennant at Woodlands and Yarra in recent years.. Woodlands is sooo tough for a short course when it is set up firm and fast. Narrow fairways with a fair bit of Tea Tree and quite a few small raised greens. There is a little Par 4 there about the 5th that is about 245m long which you can have 2 or 7 on..

Yarra a fair bit more forgiving and a better course for mine. Silly first hole Long par 3 but after that its a great layout.

My Fav's

Kingston Heath
Metro
NSW
Royal Canberra
Yarra Yarra
Royal Melbourne (never seems to be in great nic these days)
Peninsula
Heritage St John (only because I have had a couple of great rounds there)
Eynesbury (too many flys but a layout worth the trip)
Woodlands
South QLD resort courses various
Kew
Riversdale
Northern
Growling Frog
Gisborne (great little country track)
Hidden Valley (shithole)
Kooringal

Daylight

Medway

More Daylight

MORE DAYLIGHT

EASTERN

Have played Pennant at Woodlands and Yarra in recent years.. Woodlands is sooo tough for a short course when it is set up firm and fast. Narrow fairways with a fair bit of Tea Tree and quite a few small raised greens. There is a little Par 4 there about the 5th that is about 245m long which you can have 2 or 7 on..

Yarra a fair bit more forgiving and a better course for mine. Silly first hole Long par 3 but after that its a great layout.

My Fav's

Kingston Heath
Metro
NSW
Royal Canberra
Yarra Yarra
Royal Melbourne (never seems to be in great nic these days)
Peninsula
Heritage St John (only because I have had a couple of great rounds there)
Eynesbury (too many flys but a layout worth the trip)
Woodlands
South QLD resort courses various
Kew
Riversdale
Northern
Growling Frog
Gisborne (great little country track)
Hidden Valley (shithole)
Kooringal

Daylight

Medway

More Daylight

MORE DAYLIGHT

EASTERN

Royal Canberra is a great course.. I forgot to put it in my top 10...
15th is an amazing hole :thumbsu:

Eynesbury is a nice course, a tad for to travel for me personally. only had time to play 9 holes but. found the rough totally unforgiving.

I wouldn't bother with Hidden Valley, but Eynesbury is a nice track. Just need to get it on a calm day as the weather can't get nasty out there and it makes it quite difficult.

cheers for the feedback lads, will have to get out there.

a bloke that joined our group at growling frog one day recommended it, said growling frog was tougher but that was back when the rough was ridiculously harsh, they've toned it down significantly now. Will hope for a light wind day :thumbsu:

Will hopefully be able to add a few more in a month or so, heading off to Mission Hills in China and playing the following -
Vijay Singh
Ozaki
Ells
Faldo
and Leadbetter

cheers for the feedback lads, will have to get out there.

a bloke that joined our group at growling frog one day recommended it, said growling frog was tougher but that was back when the rough was ridiculously harsh, they've toned it down significantly now. Will hope for a light wind day :thumbsu:

I really enjoyed Hidden Valley - that back nine has more water than I have ever played. Makes it a great challenege.

Metro has been a long time fav of mine. Out of the resort courses in QLD I thought Brookwater was incredible. I enjoyed the Glades and Hope Island but Brookwater went to another level. It is a bit further out but worth the drive.

Hey lads,

Had a hit at eynesbury the other week. Got to say was a very impressive course, picturesque and makes you think about your shots. Being the first time I'd played there found it difficult with the 4-5 hidden water gullies 200-240 off the tees, next time i'll know :eek: Shot 101 and I've been in career best form the past 3-4 months hitting low 40's consistently at yarrambat and growling frog.

Greens were very quick, and luckily didn't get into the numerous bunkers during the day. All in all I found it a challenging layout, rough is very unforgiving. Recommend playing within yourself/safe, go for the big shots and this course will hammer your score.

Oakleigh Public goes alright, despite the narrow fairways. Tried Burnley, didn't like it, and also did the Wattle Park one, which was pretty good. Only problem with Oakleigh is that we don't have a par 5

Oakleigh Public goes alright, despite the narrow fairways. Tried Burnley, didn't like it, and also did the Wattle Park one, which was pretty good. Only problem with Oakleigh is that we don't have a par 5

is that the 9 hole course? if so fairways are pretty rough there, greens arent great either.

is that the 9 hole course? if so fairways are pretty rough there, greens arent great either.
yeah, the 9-holer. Fairways are better, I still hate the 4th green

Remove this Banner Ad

Golf Favourite Golf Course's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back