Film Posters. Anyone collect them?

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was at uni in the 90s I used to collect them. For me it was a golden time with some great posters. Jurassic Park, seven, Terminator 2, Pulp Fiction, Good fellas, Traffic.

But they are all lost now. Collateral damage of growing up.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

I don't, but I love seeing other people's interests! Were they all purchased? I imagine that cinemas would give them away after they didn't need them anymore?
Most were purchased, yes.

Usually, theatres would send them back to the distributor when the film had finished there, unless they had been pasted to the outside walls (as was often the case, with the new ones pasted over). The ones given away were generally those too damaged to be reused. It was probably not until the 1980s that studios realised there was money to be made in actually selling them to the public.

Here's one I found in the basement of the old Cinema Italia in Clifton Hill before they demolished it. The poster is massive - the size of a door and I put it together from screwed up pieces that had been shoved into empty film cans to stop them rattling.

ITALIAN POSTER.jpg

I had posters for 8 1/2 and Roman Holiday, as well as the best of what I could scrounge working at a pretty commercial multiplex at the end of the 2000s (Inglourious Basterds, Inception) but I moved far too many times during my 20s and 30s to really sustain the issue of fully decorating my abodes - even my couple thousand DVDs had to go into storage. I've finally settled into a one bedroom with my partner this year so it'd be nice to start building it.

A bit of a hobby I've had for 40-odd years and, although I mostly stopped around the time the mortgage and the kid many years ago I still have a couple of thousand of them.

Here's a few of my faves

View attachment 2144990View attachment 2144991View attachment 2144992View attachment 2145003View attachment 2145006View attachment 2145008

Anyone else a collector?

Some of these must've cost a mint! Are those 1940s originals for Double Indemnity, Dead of Night and Passport to Pimlico?

Remove this Banner Ad

Film Posters. Anyone collect them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back