Finals + Granny?

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly, fu** Dan Andrews and his corrupt MCG Contract. Absolutely the most despicable unfair and unjust piece of sh*t contract that has ever been entered into. Gil should be strung up for signing that utter garbage.

Secondly, why couldn't Port, or potentially Brisbane host a Prelim final, if the GF was to be played in Perth? They could play on the Friday night, fly to Perth on Sat, do this stupid 14 day thing and be right to go on the Saturday fortnight? Who actually gives a fu** about the "Parade"? Whoever the competing teams are, they won't be West Australian. Its not like many of the actual fans will be there to witness it.
First bit is not so much corrupt it’s inept GF contract. It was terrible in every way from a financial perspective.

Second bit. It’s more that the WA don’t want to pay a cent for the GF but are prepared to put in the dollars for the prelims & GF & everything that goes s with it. I’ve never got the parade thing tbh in one state. Can’t see why if say port make they don’t have their own parade in Adelaide to celebrate their side and say good luck on say Wednesday or Thursday.

First bit is not so much corrupt it’s inept GF contract. It was terrible in every way from a financial perspective.

Second bit. It’s more that the WA don’t want to pay a cent for the GF but are prepared to put in the dollars for the prelims & GF & everything that goes s with it. I’ve never got the parade thing tbh in one state. Can’t see why if say port make they don’t have their own parade in Adelaide to celebrate their side and say good luck on say Wednesday or Thursday.

You don't think collusion and exclusion to sign off on a uncompetitive, non commercial, unfair contract as corrupt?

Could someone please enlighten me as to how, Victorian games at the MCG, Marvel and GMBHA are going ahead this weekend. Usually clubs have exited by now, have they not???

Have found this bizarre myself, 5 games in Melbourne this weekend when probably all of them could of been played in Brisbane or Tasmania with some crowds.
Clearly crowds and the income that comes with crowds is not as important as the AFL have been telling us the for decades. Geelong should host everyone in the future as crowds not that important and certainly money isn't all of a sudden.
They make it up as they go.
There should not of been a football game played in Melbourne for the last 2 months.

Have found this bizarre myself, 5 games in Melbourne this weekend when probably all of them could of been played in Brisbane or Tasmania with some crowds.
Clearly crowds and the income that comes with crowds is not as important as the AFL have been telling us the for decades. Geelong should host everyone in the future as crowds not that important and certainly money isn't all of a sudden.
They make it up as they go.
There should not of been a football game played in Melbourne for the last 2 months.
I agree with what you’re saying but I mean more to do with the risk posed by case numbers, 55 again today. Usually panic stations have set in by now and the vic clubs have relocated to other states. That’s what got me puzzled

I agree with what you’re saying but I mean more to do with the risk posed by case numbers, 55 again today. Usually panic stations have set in by now and the vic clubs have relocated to other states. That’s what got me puzzled
same here, agree, vic in lockdown so move the teams like last year

You don't think collusion and exclusion to sign off on a uncompetitive, non commercial, unfair contract as corrupt?
I wrote not so much corrupt more inept because while I do 100% agree there’s a collusion going on it’s the terrible financial part of the contract that’s the worst part. As shown by the current grand final issues the amount over the term of the contract if put out to open tender yearly or in say 5 year blocks would dwarf the small financial gain the AFL got. It’s a shocking financial aspect whichever way we look at it & in say 2048 people will look back at that deal & think “****me is that all they paid for it” with not one guarantee of any major upgrade to the ground & now that we are in a pandemic who seriously thinks there’s going to be the money or the want for any decent upgrade in say 10 years time? There won’t be and as we roll around to the redeveloped GABBA in 2032 the MCG will be some old relic. It’s terrible.

I wrote not so much corrupt more inept because while I do 100% agree there’s a collusion going on it’s the terrible financial part of the contract that’s the worst part. As shown by the current grand final issues the amount over the term of the contract if put out to open tender yearly or in say 5 year blocks would dwarf the small financial gain the AFL got. It’s a shocking financial aspect whichever way we look at it & in say 2048 people will look back at that deal & think “fu**me is that all they paid for it” with not one guarantee of any major upgrade to the ground & now that we are in a pandemic who seriously thinks there’s going to be the money or the want for any decent upgrade in say 10 years time? There won’t be and as we roll around to the redeveloped GABBA in 2032 the MCG will be some old relic. It’s terrible.

The Southern stand was rebuilt in 1990 and renovated a couple of years ago.
The Northern & Ponsford stands in 2006.
You surely don't expect them to rebuild every 10 years to keep up with the pace?
Calling the G an old relic & terrible is absurd. It's about what happens on the field that makes it what it is.
But if you put flashing light shows ahead of a stadium that has held significant historical events like the first ever Test Match or an Olympic Games among a century and a half of other events, then go for it.

The MCG is the most iconic venue in our country, every time i go there i still get a shiver down my spine and i have been there a lot.
It is sad that the ground can't host the GF but the reality is that it can't and certainly won't be able to at 100%.
Knowing this they should just make the call and move on. Even having a GF at the G with 60% will not be a good look in my opinion.

The Southern stand was rebuilt in 1990 and renovated a couple of years ago.
The Northern & Ponsford stands in 2006.
You surely don't expect them to rebuild every 10 years to keep up with the pace?
Calling the G an old relic & terrible is absurd. It's about what happens on the field that makes it what it is.
But if you put flashing light shows ahead of a stadium that has held significant historical events like the first ever Test Match or an Olympic Games among a century and a half of other events, then go for it.
in 2032 those stands will be old whether you like it or not. Southern stand will be 42 years old & the northern & ponsford close to 30 years old. I lived in swan street at one stand & the MCG is nothing special. Give me the SCG every day of the week instead of that uneven cake tin.

in 2032 those stands will be old whether you like it or not. Southern stand will be 42 years old & the northern & ponsford close to 30 years old. I lived in swan street at one stand & the MCG is nothing special. Give me the SCG every day of the week instead of that uneven cake tin.

The Southern stand will be rebuilt when it needs to be (probably in around 10 years' time). The GF contract allows for this to happen: the MCC is able to borrow the money for the redevelopment since it's guaranteed membership revenue over 30+ year period.

Re: the absurd the claims above about the "corrupt", "non-commercial" contract: what the AFL gets out of the contract is a large members reserve at the MCG, from which it generates tens of millions in revenue every year. It's worth noting that while the entire competition benefits from this, the memberships are overwhelmingly taken out by Victorians who support Victorian clubs.

I get that people don't like the GF contract, since they think the GF should be rotated around the country, or whatever. Fair enough. I just wish people would be a little less petulant and silly when arguing for this.

The Southern stand will be rebuilt when it needs to be (probably in around 10 years' time). The GF contract allows for this to happen: the MCC is able to borrow the money for the redevelopment since it's guaranteed membership revenue over 30+ year period.

Re: the absurd the claims above about the "corrupt", "non-commercial" contract: what the AFL gets out of the contract is a large members reserve at the MCG, from which it generates tens of millions in revenue every year. It's worth noting that while the entire competition benefits from this, the memberships are overwhelmingly taken out by Victorians who support Victorian clubs.

I get that people don't like the GF contract, since they think the GF should be rotated around the country, or whatever. Fair enough. I just wish people would be a little less petulant and silly when arguing for this.

Corrupt. Non commercial. Disgusting. Biased.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corrupt. Non commercial. Disgusting. Biased.

Only a supporter of a non-Victorian club would have no idea about this contract.

Corrupt? Come on seriously prove it. The contract is a joint venture with the Melbourne Cricket Club (as leaseholder), State Government (rolled over across Governments of all persuasions), Melbourne City Council, the AFL and Cricket Australia. The place has reconstruction work on a regular basis. That has to be paid for. Big event contracts are the ticket to pay for that work. Where is the corruption?

Non-commercial? How?

Disgusting? By what measure. Is this a case of sooking it up?

Biased? A very non-Victorian view.

If Port earn the right to a home prelim final then it should be played in Adelaide. There will be free travel between SA and WA if either state doesn't have any cases between now and then. The key is getting the Victorian and NSW sides to leave Victoria for WA/SA as soon as round 23 ends.

Decision on the GF venue apparently to be made by the end of next week, i.e. a week earlier than the Sept 2 deadline previously foreshadowed. The bye between the prelim and GF appears to be locked in at this point.

Given the case rises in VIC surely the plan of flying around the country for the first 2 weeks seems unlikely. They should just go back to a prefinals bye week and play the whole lot in Perth. This would also give Port the possibility of a home prelim if they earn it.

It’s looking very likely something like this will be how the finals venues play out now.

Week 1:
QF1: Geelong vs Brisbane (Adelaide Oval)
QF2: Port vs Melbourne (Adelaide Oval)
EF1: Bulldogs vs Essendon (UTAS Stadium)
EF2: Sydney vs GWS (Metricon Stadium)

Week 2:
SF1: Brisbane vs Bulldogs (GABBA)
SF2: Melbourne vs Sydney (Adelaide Oval)

Week 3:
PF1: Geelong vs Melbourne (Optus Stadium)
PF2: Port vs Brisbane (Adelaide Oval/Optus Stadium)

Week 4:
GF: Geelong vs Port (Optus Stadium)

It’s looking very likely something like this will be how the finals venues play out now.

Week 1:

Week 2:

Week 3:

Week 4:

This is my bet
Week 1:
QF1: Melbourne vs Port (Gabba)
QF2: Bulldogs vs Geelong (Metricon Stadium/Adelaide Oval)
EF1: Brisbane vs Essendon (Gabba)
EF2: Sydney vs GWS (Adelaide Oval)

Week 2:
SF1: Port vs Brisbane (Adelaide Oval)
SF2: Bulldogs vs Sydney (Metricon Stadium/Adelaide Oval)

Week 3:
PF1: Melbourne vs Bulldogs (Optus Stadium)
PF2: Geelong vs Port (Optus Stadium)

Week 4:
GF: Melbourne vs Geelong (Optus Stadium)

Week 1:

Week 2:

Week 3:

Week 4:

The Dogs wont lost 3 in a row and we will take care of Geelong tomorrow night.

This is my bet
Week 1:
QF1: Melbourne vs Port (Gabba)
QF2: Bulldogs vs Geelong (Metricon Stadium/Adelaide Oval)
EF1: Brisbane vs Essendon (Gabba)
EF2: Sydney vs GWS (Adelaide Oval)

Week 2:
SF1: Port vs Brisbane (Adelaide Oval)
SF2: Bulldogs vs Sydney (Metricon Stadium/Adelaide Oval)

Week 3:
PF1: Melbourne vs Bulldogs (Optus Stadium)
PF2: Geelong vs Port (Optus Stadium)

Week 4:
GF: Melbourne vs Geelong (Optus Stadium)

Mine goes:
QF1: Geelong v Brisbane (Adelaide Oval)
QF2: Port v Melbourne (Adelaide Oval)
EF1: Dogs v Essendon (GABBA)
EF2: Swans v GWS (UTAS)

SF1: Geelong v Dogs (Adelaide Oval)
SF2: Dees v Sydney (GABBA)

PF1: Brisbane v Sydney (GABBA)
PF2: Port v Geelong (Adelaide Oval)

GF: Brisbane v Port (OPTUS)

So, no quarantining for the AFL players, after playing in Vic.

I am shocked to be hearing this.....not.

Fair dinkum AFL, call it on Sunday.

All finals teams and families etc to quarantine for 2weeks in one hub.

Then let finals be played in that state......

Remove this Banner Ad

Finals + Granny?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back