Finals Week 2

Remove this Banner Ad

But this is the point i am trying to make.
In what sense of the term "still well supported" do you apply that to Eastern Suburbs?
They are the smallest Sydney club by a long stretch of the margin in terms of "popularity"

Rooster supporters are shocking, even for Fitzys goodbye match, barely 10,000 of them turned up, admittedly they were wooden spoon prospects most of the year, but no excuse this guy helped get them their last premiership.
The junior numbers are small, and a lot of their good players are poached from other clubs especially South Sydney.
The NRL for the good of the game should relocate them, like Adelaide where they would get bigger crowds than present, and have a whole city and state to promote the game and develop juniors from, the previous team down there the super League Rams were getting sometimes 16,000 plus turn up.
This would have one less team in Sydney which has in my opinion anyway three teams too many, and make the game more strong in the long term.

Rooster supporters are shocking, even for Fitzys goodbye match, barely 10,000 of them turned up, admittedly they were wooden spoon prospects most of the year, but no excuse this guy helped get them their last premiership.
The junior numbers are small, and a lot of their good players are poached from other clubs especially South Sydney.
The NRL for the good of the game should relocate them, like Adelaide where they would get bigger crowds than present, and have a whole city and state to promote the game and develop juniors from, the previous team down there the super League Rams were getting sometimes 16,000 plus turn up.
This would have one less team in Sydney which has in my opinion anyway three teams too many, and make the game more strong in the long term.
Just out of interest, which team do you follow?

Politis has kept the Roosters going since the 70's when he became first to sponsors on the jersey's
Noyce is piss poor at media conferenes, Politis should be the one going to players and telling them to behave or get out

Junior numbers are small because of south sydney, they re-jigged the boundries years ago leaving 4 clubs as the Roosters junior zone whilst taking a monty on clubs in that area. This is why Clubs like coogee, coogee randwick, kensington and moore park are classed as Souths junior clubs, despite clearly being in the east.

As for the buy other peoples players arguement, who doesnt? campaignererbury, the so called 'bred not bought' club this season bought
- Ennis
- Kimmorley
- Eastwood
- Stagg
- Hannet
- Hodgeson
- Goodwin
- Morris
- Gordon

Along with other players bought over the years such as Ryan and Patten.

Every club does this, why should the chooks get targeted in that sense?

Junior numbers are small because of south sydney, they re-jigged the boundries years ago leaving 4 clubs as the Roosters junior zone whilst taking a monty on clubs in that area. This is why Clubs like coogee, coogee randwick, kensington and moore park are classed as Souths junior clubs, despite clearly being in the east.
As for the buy other peoples players arguement, who doesnt? campaignererbury, the so called 'bred not bought' club this season bought
- Ennis
- Kimmorley
- Eastwood
- Stagg
- Hannet
- Hodgeson
- Goodwin
- Morris
- Gordon
Along with other players bought over the years such as Ryan and Patten.
Every club does this, why should the chooks get targeted in that sense?

Because they have been at it for decades, the dogs bought up lately too, but its not a yearly thing for them, on the boundarys that must be a council issue, its not Souths fault if suburbs are delivered into their hands, who wouldn't take advantage.
A lot of subs in the east are more into union, its a richer area also with Paddington Wollarah, so not the best breeding grounds for hard guys.
I have no prob with the roosters myself, I love their gear and logo and they are the only foundation team left to have played every season since 1908.
But times are changing and for their own good and rugby Leagues they should relocate, their supporters only turn up in decent numbers if they are constantly winning.

lol
Parramatta's crowds were woeful earlier this season when they werent winning, should they be moved? Their season average is lower than Easts.

Ditto Penrith, they get rubbish crowds when underperforming, should they go.

So have Souths, St George, Cronulla, Manly. It's a cyclical thing.

lol
Parramatta's crowds were woeful earlier this season when they werent winning, should they be moved? Their season average is lower than Easts.

Ditto Penrith, they get rubbish crowds when underperforming, should they go.

So have Souths, St George, Cronulla, Manly. It's a cyclical thing.

No, you have to understand the situation here with Parra, they have been badly run for the last twenty years by the former CEO Fitzgerald, who never really had the clubs interests at heart, he was there for himself and his greedy grubby mates most, its not surprising Parras crowds have fallen alot, but now that the old heros have rescued Parra, and appointed a good man as CEO, former Canberra raider Osborne, the crowds will return there, and as you can see the whole club has also lifted.
Parra has huge junior numbers that are well organised and coached, so no moving Parra is a pretty bad idea.
Penrith is at the forefront of a large rugby league area, and is also backed by a massive leagues club Panthers, the crowds arent too bad out there usually even in a bad year, the ground is however a dinosaur that badly needs a long overdue upgrade to it, more people would come then.
St George Illawarra is doing ok, the new Jubilee ground looks fantastic, and has a terrific atmosphere, if you can ever see a big match there go, its a great experience, however the ground could probably do with more seating on its ends to bring the capacity up to 25,000.
WIN stadium the old steelers ground is a joke, Wollongong council should hang their heads in shame.
I dont see it as a cyclical thing, Sydney has too may clubs, and the obvious one of them to go to a new area and grow roots there would be the Roosters, because of their small juniors, the NRL should stop messing around and just move them to the central Coast or Adelaide, with a big cash injection to begin with, and smaller ones for the next ten years.

lol, im no melbourne person.

Win Stadiums only fault is the Western Grandstand, but their are greater priorities in my opinion to have money spent on than that.

And i wasnt suggesting that Parra or Penrith should move, i was more making a point that if you attacked poor crowds everywhere wouldnt just be the chooks moving.

& a recent survey had 2 million people supporting the Swans. Survey's are utter bullshit, people nominate the team that either #a - Is the local team or #b - Has the highest profile/winning at the time.

5-6 years ago, will have been smack bang in the arse end of a decade long run of prelims or better for Easts, so "winning at the time" would very much have applied.

They don't actually support these teams.

Easts are by no means a big club in terms of support. Not even in the ball park of St George, Parramatta or Canterbury. Let alone next rung clubs like the Tigers/Souths/Manly, they may be level with the clubs with more localised support like Penny or Cronulla, but to claim Easts are in the top echelon of supporter numbers is ridiculous.

Remember, this was the club that coined the phrase "All the supporters were in the bar" when Penrith actually counted how many people were in a photo of a game and outed them as crowd fudgers.

Yes, they do everything else very well but a "big" club they are not.

Yeah, your probably right. I found the website (Roy Morgan Research - I tried linking the page, but it wouldn't do it for me) and noticed how widely the support for each team fluctuates depending on a teams success.

For a time it may have been fashionable to support the Roosters, not only were they relatively successful, but the had the games best player (Fittler). Over the last few years Nth Qld (Thurston) and Wests Tigers (Marshall) have benefitted and in the next few years Parramatta with Hayne as the new glamour player will benefit from increased support.

lol, im no melbourne person.

Win Stadiums only fault is the Western Grandstand, but their are greater priorities in my opinion to have money spent on than that.

& those ridiculous seats in the new grandstand at the northern (I think?) end that look across the in goal area.

Do they EVER sell them? lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

& those ridiculous seats in the new grandstand at the northern (I think?) end that look across the in goal area.
Do they EVER sell them? lol

Hardly, its a silly looking place, Wollongong should tear down every stand in that place and build just one new state of the art modern 2 tier stand that circles three sides, and leave the hill.

And i wasnt suggesting that Parra or Penrith should move, i was more making a point that if you attacked poor crowds everywhere wouldnt just be the chooks moving.

I think Wollongong should build a new 2 tier stand to replace all the old stands, leave the hill.
Its not just the crowds in this elimination, also hardly any juniors, Sydneys got too many teams, and a few will either have to merge soon or go else where and promote rugby league for the good of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Finals Week 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back