Opinion First Choice Ruck - Pitto vs TDK

Remove this Banner Ad

TDK still young, most people thought at start of the year he wasn’t quite ready to be number 1.

He’s been thrown in the deep end this year and tasked with being #1. It will only hold him in good stead.

Hope he has a monster preseason and continues to bulk up. Hopefully next year he can cement his spot as number 1 ruck, with Pitto back up.

As I don’t think we can play both in the same side as we become to tall.

How about they clear out the forward line & only have three isolated forwards in there.
DeKoening
McKay
Curnow

You isolate each forward so the backs have no support.

That way you potentially get your strength -key forwards- winning one out

& you crowd in and nullify their main strength- the midfield.

How about they clear out the forward line & only have three isolated forwards in there.
DeKoening
McKay
Curnow

You isolate each forward so the backs have no support.

That way you potentially get your strength -key forwards- winning one out

& you crowd in and nullify their main strength- the midfield.
Then, we'll just have TDK jumping on H.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pittonet should only be on the list a last choice backup and tdk has talent but is still a couple yrs away we seriously need to get a top line ruckman or we simply dont improve

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Pittonet was excellent this year, give or take the game he was injured and his return game from Adelaide (where he clearly wasn't right).

Look back at the matches Pitto played when fit:
  • Rd 1 vs Richmond - won the clearances 40-22
  • Rd 2 vs Bulldogs - won the clearances 39-32
  • Rd 3 vs Hawthorn - won the clearances 37-32
  • Rd 5 vs Port - won the clearances 39-33
  • Rd 22 vs Melbourne - won the clearances 47-44
  • Rd 23 vs Collingwood - won clearances 47-33

4-2 with the only two losses coming in horrific chokes against top 4 teams (and in matches where we were 3x starting midfielders down). In 5 of those 6 games we also had a patch where we put the hammer down and steam-rolled the other team for 6-7 goals to build up a winning lead (obviously we blew that vs Collingwood).

Compare that to some of other games this year:
  • Rd 4 vs Gold Coast - lost clearances 43-27
  • Rd 14 vs Richmond- lost clearances 41-27
-Rd 16 vs St Kilda - lost clearances 37-33
- Rd 21 vs Brisbane - lost clearances 47-38

Pittonet may not be a superstar but he brings a lot to the table. He reminds me a lot of Ben McEvoy in that he's a solid 7 out of 10 (with room to grow to be an 8/10) in almost every category, while also bringing a bit of X-factor. He's a bruiser: able to crash and bash opposing ruckmen and wear them down. That works very well against the mobile guys, but is also useful against the big guys. When the ball hits the deck he tackles hard and provides a physical presence who can bustle the ball forward.

Significantly, he's got room for improvement at 25, and if he comes on even a little bit and stays fit, he's a ruckman who can compete with anyone while ALSO being really cheap. That's a huge boost for list management - the ruck is a spot where you really don't want to tie up cap space if you can avoid it (because ruckmen are so injury prone: see B. Grundy this year and the success Collingwood have had despite that).

The question for me is more whether TDK can be the backup in a forward line that also has Curnow and McKay... and ultimately, if it is worth paying TDK to stick around. TDK might be flashier but Pitto brings a heap to the table. If TDK ends up being the backup ruck and third tall forward, then hmmm... that's actually going to be a big question.

Sadly, the decision to move on Casboult ended up costing us badly this year. No third ruckman, and he was so perfect to fill in for Pitto (and McKay when he was injured... any maybe even go into defence when Weitering was out and we were playing Kemp at full back... and...).

Pitto no star, but he’s our #1 for now. Not convinced you NEED a star ruckman, either. Nice to have but not essential. See… welol MOST of the top 8. Gawn the obvious stand out.

Don’t need a star but our rucks rank very very low. We are only asking for a middle of the road competitive ruck.

Pitto every day of the week for now and I’d imagine for the duration of 2023 and then from 2024 onwards I would think / hope that TDK could take the mantle. Whilst TDK is exciting and has some elite traits his core role is to ruck and right now Pitto is significantly better as a pure play ruck. If Tom can learn how to better use his frame and improve his tap work he will become an absolute weapon, but on exposed form he’s still 12-24 months off this in my opinion. And if I’m wrong and TDK goes past Pitto next year it’s happy days. As it currently stands for me, Pitto is underrated and TDK overated (at least externally).

I would ruck TDK and Young

Pitto in the VFL, playing mostly forward while Mirkov develops as the lead ruckman

If not this year (some raw developing types in this draft), definitely next, take a forward/ruck option through the draft
Agree 100%.

TDK and Young can ruck, are more agile and can play more effectively in other positions (fwd or back) compared to Pitto.

TDK really hurt us overall this year but for some reason I keep thinking of Corey mckernans 1 awesome year.

When TDK puts it all together in one season and everything goes right for him. Watch out.

In the meantime Pitto is boring but safer.

In all seriousness, if McEvoy or someone like a Goldstein would taake the bait and the cash I would sign them for a one year deal to fill the void till we find a genuine young ruck. I don't see TDK filling the role, sorry to say. Maybe he is our CHB option, like his brother? See ball, get ball.

Who would be available, big bodied and experienced that we could tempt for the lure of $$$ and a potential flag?

TDK really hurt us overall this year but for some reason I keep thinking of Corey mckernans 1 awesome year.

When TDK puts it all together in one season and everything goes right for him. Watch out.

In the meantime Pitto is boring but safer.
It was a disgrace to give Corey the #2. An affront to the great Big Nick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion First Choice Ruck - Pitto vs TDK

Remove this Banner Ad

Back