Numpty Tiger

Senior List
Sep 13, 2003
canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
richmond
Taking 7 year old Numpty junior on his first ever trip to Melbourne (from Canberra) to see the Mighty Tiges for his first time (V Lions at the G). Appreciate any suggestions as to which stand we should sit in to maximize his experience...

Ground level, somewhere behind the cheer squad. And if junior can handle a bit of language, near the grog squad as well. Punt Road end of the ground behind the goals.

the old blue member seats right next to the richmond race on the ground level of the Olympic stand.

Yeah a lot depends on whether you are more interested in a great view and giving junior the opportunity to get as close to the action as possible, or putting him into the heart of passionate supporters and letting him experience the atmosphere. He'll get a bit of both no matter where you sit, but different areas offer different experiences.

My kids (girls 8 and 11 now but 5 and 8 when we started going regularly as a family) have always loved that area behind the goals surrounded by the noisiest Tiger fans. When we're playing well, it's a great thrill for little kids just being in the midst of that. They're only just now starting to recognise a lot more of the players but they don't really hero worship them or anything. They'll point guys out but it's mostly about the team as a whole (including the fans) than it is the individual players. If Numpty Jr would get more of a thrill seeing a certain player or players up close, then near the race or somewhere on the fence might be the go.

Olympic stand ground level might be the go then. Junior has become a huge JAck fan, so getting close to the race to watch him run out would be a thrill...

Id go for ground level, right on the fence if its not raining, near the cheer squad at the Punt Road end (M2). Its general admission, just get there early enough and you will have no worries getting a seat, enter at gate 4.

Taking 7 year old Numpty junior on his first ever trip to Melbourne (from Canberra) to see the Mighty Tiges for his first time (V Lions at the G). Appreciate any suggestions as to which stand we should sit in to maximize his experience...

If you go a bit early, a trip to the National Sports Museum would be well worth it ;) It's around the Olympic Stand and cheaper on event days.

Not sure why level 1 is so popular you cant see the play even unfold, sure it has more atmosphere but i personally dont mind sitting on level 4. Level 2 or 3 is good if your willing to pay the extra.

Yeah it definitely comes down to what you think your tiger cub would enjoy more.

If he's a real student of the game and wants to see the play unfolding through seeing where the spaces are, and how the pattern of the game plays out over the whole field then sit on a higher level than ground level somewhere near the wing.

If you think he'll enjoy getting up close and personal with the play and players and be right in the middle of the atmosphere of tiger army then ground level near the cheer squad is a good option.

This is why the level 1 seats are the most expensive, because you get the best of both worlds.

Maybe ask him to have a good think about what he'd enjoy more, and go that way to begin with. It won't be that big a crowd, so don't be scared about trying somewhere different and not getting a seat. That might a good way to give you both a taste of the different perspectives on the game, and decide on what you enjoy best moving forward.

Have a great day/night, definitely hope he gets to sing the song on his first trip!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can swing it try and get level 2 behind the goals at the Punt Rd end section N2-N4, that way junior will get to experience the crowd cheer squad sits right in front of them, while also getting a good view of what is happening on the ground. Probably best to ring Ticketek and ask about getting seats up there.

When I take the kids, especially when they're a bit younger (it's hard to follow the play at ground level until you're 10ish IMO) I like to enter gate 1, go upstairs, and sit as far to the Punt Road end as you can in the Northern stand. You get to be close to the goals and hence to Jack for 2Q's, you get a great view of the play, and you're close enough to the Army to hear to the roar.
Go Tigers!!!

For god's sake, don't take him anywhere near the grog squad.
GS used to be witty and fun, but now it's just full of pissed up kids who don't know what they are doing.
If I take the kids, I usually try and score seats around the 50m line on the bottom level of the Olympic Stand as high up as you can get.

For god's sake, don't take him anywhere near the grog squad.
GS used to be witty and fun, but now it's just full of pissed up kids who don't know what they are doing.
If I take the kids, I usually try and score seats around the 50m line on the bottom level of the Olympic Stand as high up as you can get.
Well I think the statement on the Grog Squad is a bit harsh. Yeah there are a few words that get thrown about but you hear that everywhere, Atmosphere is great and havent seen any violence unless its started by an opposition supporter who gets pissed off because where to loud. 9/10 very well behaved group i'd say.

Id go for ground level, right on the fence if its not raining, near the cheer squad at the Punt Road end (M2). Its general admission, just get there early enough and you will have no worries getting a seat, enter at gate 4.
Thats what I'd suggest for a young bloke, right on the fence And you can always move upstairs in the second half if he wants to check out the nosebleed territory.

Under lights on a saturday night, weather permitting, front row N Section Southern Stand dude..for max effect N section in the pocket closest to the Punt Rd end. Let him wave his flag and hang out just above the madness and feel the vibe and be able to see everything thats going on. ;)

Not sure why level 1 is so popular you cant see the play even unfold, sure it has more atmosphere but i personally dont mind sitting on level 4. Level 2 or 3 is good if your willing to pay the extra.

I always it on the top level so I can see the whole ground better, but for a 7 year old they would enjoy being down the bottom better I would say.

Definitely sit Punt Road End near the cheer squad! General Admission tickets get you into that area on level one this weekend so you can sit right on the fence if you want. Good atmosphere down there :) Have fun!

Just want to say thanks to all who have responded to my request for help in deciding where to sit. Your comments have been very helpful. I'll definitely be getting seats near the cheer squad as suggested, and am leaning toward sitting one level above. I see the Club is putting on another Before The Pounce too. Perfect!
Go Tiges!!!

Just want to say thanks to all who have responded to my request for help in deciding where to sit. Your comments have been very helpful. I'll definitely be getting seats near the cheer squad as suggested, and am leaning toward sitting one level above. I see the Club is putting on another Before The Pounce too. Perfect!
Go Tiges!!!

well how did the numpties fare?

Go Tiges!!!

No probs dude..stick with the experts and you cant go wrong. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

First ever game - where to sit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back