Play Nice First transgender player in the AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Hannah has played women's handball already and fits within the IOC's rules for transgender athletes which the AFL abide by.

I don't see how Hannah can be denied from playing AFLW.
He played men’s handball

Hypothetically if Shane Mumford declared that he identified himself as a woman, would they let him play AFLW?

Probably as they would be petrified of the blow back.

I think it's disgusting it's even considered, no problem with the transition, go play men's football, born a man spent 25 years as a man play in a men's league, simple.

People need to actually take away all the bullshit testosterone talk and think about it.

Probably as they would be petrified of the blow back.

I think it's disgusting it's even considered, no problem with the transition, go play men's football, born a man spent 25 years as a man play in a men's league, simple.

People need to actually take away all the bullshit testosterone talk and think about it.
How is the mere consideration disgusting?

Personally, I find the utter dismissal of such a move perplexing. Assuming a fair & reasoned eligibility criteria can be realised, what is the problem?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because someone merely saying 'I am a female' does not equate to the state recognising them as such.

It is a false correlarry to the issue being discussed, and a reductionist one at that.
If Shane came out and said he now identified as a women and his testosterone levels were low enough what is the difference.

How is the mere consideration disgusting?

Personally, I find the utter dismissal of such a move perplexing. Assuming a fair & reasoned eligibility criteria can be realised, what is the problem?

Problem is he was born a man, went through puberty, played sport at an Olympic level for our country and at the age of 25 wanted to become a women, I find it perplexing that people can see past all this and look just at a one criteria which to be honest is just laughable.

If Shane came out and said he now identified as a women and his testosterone levels were low enough what is the difference.
IOC guidelines which are considered the baseline standard required you to be post-op.

If you're going to go that far, taking HRT for over 2 years which drops both muscle and bone density to levels similar to that of a 'natural born' woman then all the power to you. Gunna find it's actually alot harder if not impossible to maintain the fitness that top-level female athletes are able to achieve because of the Testosterone blockers lowering levels to below that of equivalent female athletes

Problem is he was born a man, went through puberty, played sport at an Olympic level for our country and at the age of 25 wanted to become a women, I find it perplexing that people can see past all this and look just at a one criteria which to be honest is just laughable.
kirsti , the OP, has transitioned. She believes that the current criteria is inadequate, and liable to manipulation.

If a fair and reasoned criteria for eligibility could be reached, would you still have an issue?

I suppose what I am asking is if you disagree with it 'in principle' or just logistically

A ruck kicking 15 goals in 3 games not convincing enough for you?
No, there is a history of AFLW quality players monstering lesser quality comps. One of the Lions (Lutkins I think) kicked a ridiculous amount of goals in a defence force game, something like 10 in a half. 15 goals in 3 games just means she is much better than the not very strong Canberra comp. Doesn't mean she could do the same in the VFLW, let alone the AFLW.

kirsti , the OP, has transitioned. She believes that the current criteria is inadequate, and liable to manipulation.

If a fair and reasoned criteria for eligibility could be reached, would you still have an issue?

I suppose what I am asking is if you disagree with it 'in principle' or just logistically

Not going to lie as I couldn't care less what people think of me it's both, I have the biggest issue with the criteria it's an absolute joke, feels like the IOC have made it relatively easy as they don't want any issues.

Not going to lie as I couldn't care less what people think of me it's both, I have the biggest issue with the criteria it's an absolute joke, feels like the IOC have made it relatively easy as they don't want any issues.
I empathise regarding the current criteria. It is the antithesis of stringent.

I think (presume?) that we differ on the 'in principle' side of things though. If someone biologically male undergoes transition, and fulfills a fair and rigorous criteria to ensure that no unfair advantage is maintained due to their biological sex, I cannot see why they should be precluded from competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back