First Year Breakout Stars

Remove this Banner Ad

Not Biased but McCluggage is killing it at training Fagan even said himself how impressed he was with how he was going for a first year player
Top three players go that high for a reason. If they are not under any injury clouds, they normally impress quite early on. So not really surprised to hear this, as I'm sure similar things are being said about McGrath, Taranto and probably a few other high picks.

Jack Graham, from Richmond, could have the best season of all the new draftees based on his strength and size plus his leadership (Captain of SA U18). He claimed the Larke Medal as the best player at the under-18 championships in 2016 after an outstanding campaign for South Australia too. While there are many other draftees from other clubs that will probably surpass him in the future, due to natural skills and potential, Graham is ready made to make an immediate impact as an inside midfielder in his first year.

Keep him in mind for your SuperCoach teams too :D

Jack Graham, from Richmond, could have the best season of all the new draftees based on his strength and size plus his leadership (Captain of SA U18). He claimed the Larke Medal as the best player at the under-18 championships in 2016 after an outstanding campaign for South Australia too. While there are many other draftees from other clubs that will probably surpass him in the future, due to natural skills and potential, Graham is ready made to make an immediate impact as an inside midfielder in his first year.

Keep him in mind for your SuperCoach teams too :D

So did Sam Power

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So did Sam Power

Previous Larke Medial winners include -
2016: Jack Graham
2015: Josh Schache (Pick 2)
2014: Christian Petracca (Pick 3
2013: Dom Sheed (Pick 11)
2012: Lachie Whitfield (Pick 1)
2011: Stephen Coniglio (Pick 2)
2010: Harley Bennell (Pick 2)
2009: David Swallow (Pick 1)
Andrew Hooper (Pick 35 in Rookie draft) - Was also 172 cm tall

Throw in Marc Murphy and Tom Hawkins in previous years too. Isn't a guarantee of success by any means but I do like the company he is in all the same.

Previous Larke Medial winners include -
2016: Jack Graham
2015: Josh Schache (Pick 2)
2014: Christian Petracca (Pick 3
2013: Dom Sheed (Pick 11)
2012: Lachie Whitfield (Pick 1)
2011: Stephen Coniglio (Pick 2)
2010: Harley Bennell (Pick 2)
2009: David Swallow (Pick 1)
Andrew Hooper (Pick 35 in Rookie draft) - Was also 172 cm tall

Throw in Marc Murphy and Tom Hawkins in previous years too. Isn't a guarantee of success by any means but I do like the company he is in all the same.

No I just remember Power being Vic skipper and winning the medal. Dogs drafted him and he was horrible

Ains
Which players do u think will have a breakout first year
Powell-Pepper, McGrath, Petrevski Seton all come to mind, heck even Tom Stewart from Geelong can become the new Ruggles
Can't see Taranto playing much, don't reckon Ainsworth is that good IMO

Anyone who do you think might have a breakout year
Ainsworth has been training well but i would think will play deep fwd this year, hopefully high impact but not so great for fantasy if that's what you're looking at. I think bowes will will be the one for us to break out in his first year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll have a ping at each club's best first year performer.

Adelaide: Myles Poholke
Brisbane: Hugh McCluggage
Carlton: Sam Petrevski-Seton
Collingwood: Callum Brown
Essendon: Andrew McGrath
Fremantle: Luke Ryan
Geelong: Brandan Parfitt
Gold Coast: Will Brodie
GWS Giants: Will Setterfield
Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis (for the lols)
Melbourne: Dion Johnstone
North Melbourne: Jy Simpkin
Port Adelaide: Sam Powell-Pepper
St Kilda: Ben Long
Sydney Swans: Ollie Florent
West Coast: Willie Rioli Jr
Western Bulldogs: Patrick Lipinski
Not Tom Stewart for Geelong?

Too slow will get found out at AFL level, very little upside, nice kid, gives 110% ... but does not have enough strings to his bow.
Agreed. It's a lot easier to smash through packs when your playing against 70kg kids. It won't be as easy to be a contested beast playing against grown men.

Too slow will get found out at AFL level, very little upside, nice kid, gives 110% ... but does not have enough strings to his bow.
Never quite understand the no upside comment just because his body matured early there are so many other areas that improvement can be made, his stamina will increase and his body will harden and still be a big body.

Having good leadership ability has given many an average player a good successful career, great pick imo only reason he didnt go a lot earlier in the draft was some injury issues.

Agreed. It's a lot easier to smash through packs when your playing against 70kg kids. It won't be as easy to be a contested beast playing against grown men.
This goes for all players though, fast players suddenly face teams full of fast players, big marks suddenly run into Rance or Hurley, all recruits are talented orthey wouldnt be picked, its how they deal with the step up in quality that is required in all areas that counts.

Never quite understand the no upside comment just because his body matured early there are so many other areas that improvement can be made, his stamina will increase and his body will harden and still be a big body.

Having good leadership ability has given many an average player a good successful career, great pick imo only reason he didnt go a lot earlier in the draft was some injury issues.

Spoken like a true Tiger ... :D

In the week before the draft all the media phantom drafts suddenly had Graham coming to the Lions. I ran it past an acquaintance at the club who works in close proximity to our recruitment staff. He spoke to them came back with "yeah, they're scratching their heads at that one... they said Graham simply can't cover the ground. Rookie list at best as a big bodied reserves mid".

True story.

Remove this Banner Ad

First Year Breakout Stars

Remove this Banner Ad

Back