Fitzroy Stars 2009 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Fitzroy Stars 2008 Season

Epping players, supporters and committee were disappointed in the non attendance of the Stars entourage in the rooms after the game.

Tonight I have heard that the reason why Stars players did not come into Eppings rooms after the match was they were paying Epping back for not voting in favour of having them enter the NFL.

Is this true?

The ballot was without Stars people in attendance so where did they hear it from?

Why not face the committee and ask them to their face......you will find that your information was seriously misguided if this is what you believe. The Epping representative voted in favour and also congratulated your president and coach on the night.
progress.gif
This is very untrue and not our style, GIG, you will hear this and I’m sure other clubs would say the same, most of the stars players haven’t stayed back after the game but some do like to have a couple of beers after the game, We have a policy at our home games that no alcohol is to be served during the game, but note that some supporters do bring their own alcohol to the ground, at the beginning I’ve stated that the old Fitzroy Stars isn’t what they are of today. Just stating the facts and would point out that, your away club rooms are so far away from your social club it really isn’t that inviting. Today we have a very young family orientated people, although the club culture will need time to grow, we really haven’t got a social club as yet, nor do we have club rooms, so give it a couple of years for the young stars to understand about what makes the coin tick over at the clubs social level. No excuses:thumbsu:

Good work so far boys one game out of the 6 in our first season, 3 games left and finals can be achieved if we realy put our heads down and concentrate on the coming opponents, its a mighty big hurdle, but give it a shake boys.

Yeah, an interesting yet quick insight into the Stars NFL application process, history and importance to the aboriginal people. Some star players from the past.. Joey Bell, Mick Edwards, with that hairdo :thumbsu:

What a grand final that was for the carnival yesterday. West Vic Eels leading all day till D.T puts the Stars in front with probably less than 2 minutes on the clock. After the Young Guns lost the granny i was pretty scared that we wer'nt going to be taking any trophie home, but after being 36 points down only a few minutes prior to 3/4 time the STARS fought back hard to win by 2 points. Well done STARS 4 state championship's in a row, looking forward to Geelong in 2009.

Played my first carnival this year, and to play for the Young Guns (Stars 2nd's) was the biggest honour of my life so far. To play with all them blokes was absolutly amazing, and after we lost it i did shead a tear or 2, but there is always next year boys.

Thank you to VAYSAR and the Fitzroy Stars Football Club for making this carnival so great and so memorable.

P.S. Choice of venue was great, atmosphere was awesome having everyone together like that.

Division 1 awards:
Jock Austin Best Finals Player: Darren Turner JNR (D.T) (Fitzroy Stars)
Ron Edwards Best Overall Player: Kaelun Brown (K.B) (Fitzroy Stars)
Darren Turner Most Goals In Carnival: Rohan Best (Fitzroy Stars)

What a grand final that was for the carnival yesterday. West Vic Eels leading all day till D.T puts the Stars in front with probably less than 2 minutes on the clock. After the Young Guns lost the granny i was pretty scared that we wer'nt going to be taking any trophie home, but after being 36 points down only a few minutes prior to 3/4 time the STARS fought back hard to win by 2 points. Well done STARS 4 state championship's in a row, looking forward to Geelong in 2009.

Played my first carnival this year, and to play for the Young Guns (Stars 2nd's) was the biggest honour of my life so far. To play with all them blokes was absolutly amazing, and after we lost it i did shead a tear or 2, but there is always next year boys.

Thank you to VAYSAR and the Fitzroy Stars Football Club for making this carnival so great and so memorable.

P.S. Choice of venue was great, atmosphere was awesome having everyone together like that.

Division 1 awards:
Jock Austin Best Finals Player: Darren Turner JNR (D.T) (Fitzroy Stars)
Ron Edwards Best Overall Player: Kaelun Brown (K.B) (Fitzroy Stars)
Darren Turner Most Goals In Carnival: Rohan Best (Fitzroy Stars)

Is it true that Lovett and Jetta both played in the carnival?

Is it true that Lovett and Jetta both played in the carnival?

Yes, both played for the West Vic Eels, Nathan Lovett-Murray and Jarrod Atkinson we're also planing to play for the Eels but when they asked Matthew Knights he said no, where Andrew and Leroy didnt ask. Andrew didnt play in the final, rumour is he had a big Saturday night and was in no condition for football. Chris Egan also played for Cummeragunja.

Congratulations to Troy Austin (President), Alan Thorpe (Vice-President), Phil Cooper (Treasurer) and Frank Hytten (Secretary) on being re-elected and to Afl Bamblett and Lisa R. Thorpe for joining as ordinary members.

Heard though the grape vine stars could be playing homes games at Victoria Park, any news on this FS?

As a past player, i just wanna say that its great to see that the Fitzroy Stars are back playing footy again.
I was there when the MNFL comp folded so its fantastic to see Stars running around again, even thou the jumper has slightly changed:)

I believe this to be the case, i'm not sure if its 100% confirmed, but it looks like we will be there.

Considering that Victoria Park's a bit run down ATM, I was wondering how come Cramer St wasn't put up as a option for you blokes to play home games ?.

The Bullants play a few games at Princes Park, and for what it has to offer, the ground is under used, and also, will the ground near the tram depot at Thornbury be used for your home games in the coming years ? or isn't that feasible ?.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering that Victoria Park's a bit run down ATM, I was wondering how come Cramer St wasn't put up as a option for you blokes to play home games ?.

The Bullants play a few games at Princes Park, and for what it has to offer, the ground is under used, and also, will the ground near the tram depot at Thornbury be used for your home games in the coming years ? or isn't that feasible ?.

Im pretty sure the board did attempt to play games at Cramer street, but i think the ground is under used to keep it in the condition its in. Also, Victoria Park is a great venue, the only group (that i know of) that has complained about Victoria Park is Macleod.

The ground in Thornbury is where we want to eventually end up, but the ground needs to be redeveloped before it is usable.

Im pretty sure the board did attempt to play games at Cramer street, but i think the ground is under used to keep it in the condition its in. Also, Victoria Park is a great venue, the only group (that i know of) that has complained about Victoria Park is Macleod.

The ground in Thornbury is where we want to eventually end up, but the ground needs to be redeveloped before it is usable.

Is that the ground on high street behind the large aboriginal mural? I thought it was currently being redeveloped.

Vic Park was a great surface, just had zero atmosphere.

I don't know about you, but I like watching a game of footy on the wing, not from behind the goals.

I don't know about you, but I like watching a game of footy on the wing, not from behind the goals.

Was you at the macleod game:confused: yes the wing is the best position 2 level get a great view:thumbsu:

Was you at the macleod game:confused: yes the wing is the best position 2 level get a great view:thumbsu:

Yep - I was at that game and If it's played there again under the viewing conditions, I can assure you that I wont go.
At least ask the council to open up the forward pocket to the wing on the Southern side of the ground - is that asking too much ?

Wow, i thought the atmosphere was amazing, dunno what the atmosphere is usualy like at Macleod games, but i think that would be hard to top.

Wow, i thought the atmosphere was amazing, dunno what the atmosphere is usualy like at Macleod games, but i think that would be hard to top.

The atmosphere - yeah - was good behind the goals, but I guess I would
prefer to have it right around the ground as opposed to 1 section.

Imagine if they played a final there and the crowd was sectioned off behind the goals - it would be stupid.

Is that the ground on high street behind the large aboriginal mural? I thought it was currently being redeveloped.

Well is on St. Georges road but yeah, behind the mural, no work has commenced on the oval, nobody knows when the work will start or be completed. The oval belongs to the Aborigines Advancement League inc. and i understand its their resposibility to get the oval redeveloped so the Stars can only wait and try push them into action.

I have never heard a noise like it on the ground as I did when running around during the Stars v Macleod game, especially when the game intensity lifted during the 3rd quarter. My only downer on the venue was the lack of an after match to have a yarn with everyone after a game like that...

Just a reminder that! Training tonight is with some of the Richmond players who will be taking training as part of the partnership agreement with the Richmond Football Club and Fitzroy Stars Football Club......players include Richard Tambling, Jake King, and another big name player....... i am told that most of our community will be turning up specially the ladies to see this player gathered a few possessions on the weekend... Don't miss out on this opportunity guys:):thumbsu:

Yep - I was at that game and If it's played there again under the viewing conditions, I can assure you that I wont go.
At least ask the council to open up the forward pocket to the wing on the Southern side of the ground - is that asking too much ?
Confirmed last night, that Fitzroy Stars Football Club will being play football at Victoria Park sharing it with Collingwood Football Club. The stars will be their from 2010 till 2012.

Pies return to Victoria Park

22 Jul 09 @ 10:16am by Suzanne Robson
18b7a4821e1b619bd03067b34e931cf4_resized.JPG

Victoria Park has 'gone to the dogs' since Collingwood Football Club left, says a Yarra councillor.

COLLINGWOOD Football Club will return home to Victoria Park, after an impassioned plea by club president Eddie McGuire to Yarra Council last night.
The council voted unanimously to allow the Magpies to return to their iconic former home ground for nine VFL matches next year.

A beaming McGuire said the decision to let the club return to the park on a three-year contract was “wonderful”.
“It is a great time for not only the football club but for the community,” he said.
“The Magpies are back in town.”
In a speech to the council and a packed room in Richmond’s Town Hall last night, McGuire said the club would provide for the Yarra community through junior football clinics before VFL matches, taking young players to MCG and hosting programs for public housing tenants.
“Collingwood Football Club is a powerhouse of Australian sport - it is literally the battler’s dream that became a sporting and social phenomenon,” he said.
McGuire said the club aimed to “breathe life back into the famous stadium”.
“We want to pay tribute to our history at Victoria Park and we are determined to take on a role of social responsibility to the local community,” he said.
“Yes, we left Victoria Park - but to grow as an elite football club we had no choice.”
“We now have the opportunity, with the council, to create something that will be meaningful; that will bring great benefits; that will make a difference.”
McGuire responded to residents’ concerns about fencing, by saying the club had no intention of charging for games and would continue discussions with VFL to not put up temporary fencing on match days.
The club will employee a full-time staffer to work with the council on developing community programs for local groups in Yarra.
Yarra councillor Jane Garrett said it was “terrific to be welcoming Collingwood Football Club back to Victoria Park”.
“For far too long, (Yarra Council) has been sitting around watching this place go to the dogs,” Cr Garrett said

Confirmed last night, that Fitzroy Stars Football Club will being play football at Victoria Park sharing it with Collingwood Football Club. The stars will be their from 2010 till 2012.

Pies return to Victoria Park
Will you get the use off all the grand stands or just behind the goals? and will you get the use of one of the rooms to hold lunches or after the games to have a few drinks with the opposition?
if it is the same set up as this year it would be a bad out come for your club but if you get the use of the facilities then well done.
shit thats both Collingwood and Richmond looking after you, no excuse for not making a big impact next year then is there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitzroy Stars 2009 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back