Opinion Flag or flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps, or hopefully, we haven't sprinted, but are just that much better of a runner than anyone else in the field.
We will know in hindsight I suppose.

and in a marathon .. its in game , its in race ..in footy we have a game and rest and study ..and we have 17 other groups of eyes looking at it. Some of this is brought on by such a poor finals record since 2011 ..so to a degree its self inflicted for the club. It has a chance however to change the discussion.
Love them , hate them , respect them .. when Haw get in this position they seem to make the most of it..

Perhaps, or hopefully, we haven't sprinted, but are just that much better of a runner than anyone else in the field.
We will know in hindsight I suppose.

and talking of ..."them" ..they are celebrating the 30th anniversary of the 89 gf this week.. I'm glad they are not around the mark this year..that would be too much sauce on the steak..

Listened to the same discussion. Was an interesting theory indeed.

They also speculated about how long it could last.........
It'll last as long as we have the players who are willing to do it, I'd say.
If Miers, Rohan, Dahlhaus Atkins slacken off for whatever reason, we need JJ, Narkle, Parsons, Constable or whoever to have the same hunger and come in to fill the breach. I'm sure they are itching for the chance to join in the fun.

It'll last as long as we have the players who are willing to do it, I'd say.
If Miers, Rohan, Dahlhaus Atkins slacken off for whatever reason, we need JJ, Narkle, Parsons, Constable or whoever to have the same hunger and come in to fill the breach. I'm sure they are itching for the chance to join in the fun.

They were wondering, in particular, how long it would take opposing sides to analyse and break down the way we play

They were wondering, in particular, how long it would take opposing sides to analyse and break down the way we play
More than 12 rounds.

I don't think that there is any secret to how we are playing - the difference to other teams ( and the Cats the last few years) is to have the personnel and the ability to implement and maintain the pressure. Richmond could do it for a quarter, but couldn't maintain it.

More than 12 rounds.

I don't think that there is any secret to how we are playing - the difference to other teams ( and the Cats the last few years) is to have the personnel and the ability to implement and maintain the pressure. Richmond could do it for a quarter, but couldn't maintain it.

I'm glad we play the Hawks again as Clarko will throw something different at us which could be useful finals preparation :thumbsu:

Listened to the same discussion. Was an interesting theory indeed.

They also speculated about how long it could last.........

It will need a stage 2 or stage 3 ... to make it last but one thing I do like is its utilising the double team tactic the defenders use. To combat it ..id say they will either stop trying to spoil and mark it.. or stop double teaming it.. Still as much as its current getting accolades.. its still looking effective because we are actually converting.

As I said.. if they do start going one on one ..then it opens it up to having a third marking option..like Krueger getting a game. He looks impressive in his 1o1 marking.

I'm glad we play the Hawks again as Clarko will throw something different at us which could be useful finals preparation :thumbsu:
It would have been good to play the Pies & Eagles again, not much we can do about it.

Turning an AFL club around is like trying to turn back a super tanker.
You can't just totally change your game plan to try and counter one team's.
Well, you can, but it will go badly for you.
Everything you've been drumming into those young mens' empty heads for months?
Sure, let's just change it.
It's why nobody had an answer to Richmond in their ONE good year.
Clubs have probably figured out what we're doing by now.
But there is bugger all they can do except press on with what they have planned to do. Try to execute it better.
And they can only hope our system isn't sustainable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I say every year that I don't have that many expectations but once we make it to the final four, I am disappointed if we lose.

There is no doubt we are the best team in the league, the ladder reflects that. If you believe in analytics, Champion Data have said for years that beyond win-loss, a team's percentage actually gives a better indicator of how a team is travelling.

Out of interest, we are currently at 11-1 with a percentage of 151. The all-conquering 2000 Essendon team went 21-1 with a percentage of 159. Our 2008 team had a percentage of over 160 - EEEEEK - which is the best since 2000.

Interesting if you want to look at different years, say again, take 2000. If you look at the outlier on the ladder, it is Brisbane, as their percentage is really high but their win / loss tally modest. We all know what happened after that. There is actually another outlier that year, Geelong, who has a poor percentage. Annnnddddd we all know what happened after that!

I say every year that I don't have that many expectations but once we make it to the final four, I am disappointed if we lose.

There is no doubt we are the best team in the league, the ladder reflects that. If you believe in analytics, Champion Data have said for years that beyond win-loss, a team's percentage actually gives a better indicator of how a team is travelling.

Out of interest, we are currently at 11-1 with a percentage of 151. The all-conquering 2000 Essendon team went 21-1 with a percentage of 159. Our 2008 team had a percentage of over 160 - EEEEEK - which is the best since 2000.

Interesting if you want to look at different years, say again, take 2000. If you look at the outlier on the ladder, it is Brisbane, as their percentage is really high but their win / loss tally modest. We all know what happened after that. There is actually another outlier that year, Geelong, who has a poor percentage. Annnnddddd we all know what happened after that!
And like Brisbane, last year we had one if the best % but a modest win/loss. Lets hope history repeats!

If we drop out of the top 4 we have NO chance.

The team has to regain confidence if not we are shot.
If we go straight out for the umpteenth time we must make changes.

If we drop out of the top 4 we have NO chance.

The team has to regain confidence if not we are shot.
If we go straight out for the umpteenth time we must make changes.

Let the season play out .. it all we can do. But ... "must" .. we have made changes each year...haven't you heard our coach. Its never the same side that takes the field.

History does repeat itself.
The so called leaders at Geelong fail when the other team comes with grunt.
We need to change this or are destined for failure.
Sure it is hard to change some of your so called cream players but the reality is they are not as good as we think they are.
Most of these play midfield and that is where we get smashed week in week out.

As for our coach we are locked in for a further 3 years unfortunately.

Strange we are top of the ladder and it feels like we will not play finals

It’s that time again. Cats march into top 4 with back to back 10 goal drubbings . I think west coast and tigers are the two challengers yet we’ve signed Hendo, Harry and Ablett for another year and topped up with Jenkins and Steven for this very tilt. We are one out and one back and looking good. The depth looks more solid, less reliance on dangerwood, best defence again and Tommy firing. Add to all this is the fact we won’t play MCG finals, Scott on top of his game and thus far a fit list to choose from with a fresh Ablett to come back.
Yes things change even in a week of football , but if we finish top 4 (should be likely from here) and win a final we are in a prelim again for the 5th time in 8 years!
And that for me will be flag or flop time! Go cats!

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Flag or flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back