Fletcher not allowed to watch his son play

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet he has already retired and has no active involvement that can be in breach of any penalty. That's the most ridiculous part in his punishment. If he was still playing or coaching then fair enough he takes his lumps, but, he has retired..that's where the grey area is.
the fact that he's retired is nobodies problem but his!

And yet he has already retired and has no active involvement that can be in breach of any penalty. That's the most ridiculous part in his punishment. If he was still playing or coaching then fair enough he takes his lumps, but, he has retired..that's where the grey area is.
So you should be free to dope for the last year of your career, because according to you, there can be no possible penalty for it.

Got it.

Wake up..he is a father supporting his son standing with his dad in supporting the grandson.

Promoting families in footy should be a good thing, particularly a footballing family the Fletcher's have proven to be since 1967. We should be encouraging this support, not placing arbitary rules on it.
wake up he's a drug cheat

he got caught and pays the price

And yet he has already retired and has no active involvement that can be in breach of any penalty. That's the most ridiculous part in his punishment. if he was still playing or coaching then fair enough he takes his lumps, but, he has retired..that's where the grey area is.
There is no grey area is there? He was found to have doped, he has been given a penalty.

"Obviously as one of those players we probably tried to tick off [supplements that were] WADA approved, ASADA approved, so we probably did all we could in that sense," he said.

"You think to yourself could I have done anything different? I still feel a little embarrassed when I go out because you probably withdraw just a little bit because you know it's been such a massive scandal over a long period of time."​

He didn't do all he could. He could have checked what was being given and, per the rules, informed the club medical officer. Specially when this seems to have been a regime that was different to any he'd seen before. He did neither.

The only naive people who are anti-Fletcher and his rights.
Dusty decided he should forgo his rights when he used PEDs, he was well aware of the consequences. He would have sat through more drug education classes than any other player.
He has compromised his son, not WADA.
Not saying he is unfit parent but he patently set a poor example for his son.
Actions have consequences , not sure why a convicted PED user should have special dispensation because he has a son who plays in WADA compliant sports. Dusty needs to serve his suspension and stop with the whoa is me I am a victim. Dusty is a perpetrator .

Utterly insane.

Utterly insane that Fletcher is complaining about it. He can still watch his son play. Geez, my parents came into the rooms or onto the ground a grand total of zero times during my playing days. His son will cope without his dad in the rooms (if I was a coach, I'd ban parents in the rooms anyway). If he can't cope without his dad there, he doesn't deserve to be on an AFL list.

No grey area at all, we don't want drug cheats involved in sport. That's why the rules are there.
To say that dusty has retired is again naive. He wants to utilise his sporting knowledge and experience to further his career in sport via coaching.

The only naive people who are anti-Fletcher and his rights.
Lol he has rights and his using them. Not sure who is saying he doesn't have rights? And because his retired doesn't mean shit.

Shall I go do 1mil worth of fraud then tell the judge that I retired so I should be let off?

Your funny

Utterly insane.

Utterly insane that Fletcher is complaining about it. He can still watch his son play. Geez, my parents came into the rooms or onto the ground a grand total of zero times during my playing days. His son will cope without his dad in the rooms (if I was a coach, I'd ban parents in the rooms anyway). If he can't cope without his dad there, he doesn't deserve to be on an AFL list.
My kid is in under 15s and we sure has hell cant go out on to the ground or into the rooms. I imagine the higher up you go the less likely this would be encouraged.

He didn't do all he could. He could have checked what was being given and, per the rules, informed the club medical officer. Specially when this seems to have been a regime that was different to any he'd seen before. He did neither.

Of course you are correct, but he could have done something that to me at least, would be far more natural... He knows from his training that he has to inform the ASADA tester in a stat dec of all substances ingested in the last week. He knows he can't do that coz nobody has told him exactly what's in the needles, lollies or creams. If he's not prepared to inform the doc then why didn't he ask the doc what he was given?

Sure, we know the doc only had a vague idea, but if every player was asking the doc what was that jab I got after the hypo last night, or what is this lolly I have to suck, this cream, those pills??? Wouldn't the doc be better placed to un-disenfranchise himself? Maybe even self report to the AFL or ASADA.

It is completely not understandable why at least one player did not inform or ask the doc who we know was like a father to some of these men. That is, unless there were orders.... Nothing else makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is Fletcher meant to be supportive of his son? That's a key question here.

Standing in the huddle isn't going to have any real positive or negative impact - nor is being int he rooms with him.

Remember he is RETIRED.

the best way to support his son is to explain to his sun why taking Performance enhancing drugs is the antithesis of sport and that's its wrong to cut corners using trying to gain a chemical advantage over the rest of the competition rather then putting in actual hard work and getting the results.

that his kid should go out and do his very best no matter what, rather then cheating.

Perhaps he might even have the courage to explain to his son that he did the wrong thing and that he's being punished for it, just like when fletch junior does the wrong thing and fletch senior has to punish him, when he does the wrong thing.

its a great life lesson: he learns his dads a took PED's and retired in disgrace and now its his job to restore the family name.

Fletch could always get onto the positive{no pun}side of the outrage and tell his kid and others that he was injected by a spivv in a shiny suit and is now paying the price for that.
He could also explain the good school exam results dont prepare you for the real life and one should learn to ask questions before letting somebody else interfere with your life.
All in all,a good lesson for him to take through the rest of his life and hopefully teach his son to be a better human.
Alternative of course is to take the easy way out and complain "why me".

Perhaps he might even have the courage to explain to his son that he did the wrong thing and that he's being punished for it, just like when fletch junior does the wrong thing and fletch senior has to punish him, when he does the wrong thing.

its a great life lesson: he learns his dads a took PED's and retired in disgrace and now its his job to restore the family name.
Even 400-game players might not have the clout we think they do. If you're in a position where you are earning good coin but are too afraid to risk that money even to the point of letting people inject you with unknown substances... really do you have anything to blame but your own greed and fear?

Dank probably is super-spiv. But spivs operate best with greedy and dishonest people. They even say that themselves.

Wake up..he is a father supporting his son standing with his dad in supporting the grandson.

Promoting families in footy should be a good thing, particularly a footballing family the Fletcher's have proven to be since 1967.

Well then, Dustin really let his family down didn't he.

Last edited:
How is Fletcher meant to be supportive of his son? That's a key question here.

Standing in the huddle isn't going to have any real positive or negative impact - nor is being int he rooms with him.

Remember he is RETIRED.

If he had've check his substances, like ASADA kept drumming in to them, then he wouldn't have a problem.

Actually, there's nothing stopping him being in the rooms now he's retired but if he does his full 2 year penalty will restart. That's no problems if he has no plans on coaching or doing any more in football but is if he plans to then it is a problem.

Think too it might be against the WADA rules for the footy club to associate with a convicted doper in a sporting context, not a social context, hence may open that club up to penalties.

If he had've check his substances, like ASADA kept drumming in to them, then he wouldn't have a problem.

Actually, there's nothing stopping him being in the rooms now he's retired but if he does his full 2 year penalty will restart. That's no problems if he has no plans on coaching or doing any more in football but is if he plans to then it is a problem.

Think too it might be against the WADA rules for the footy club to associate with a convicted doper in a sporting context, not a social context, hence may open that club up to penalties.
10. Anti-Doping Rule Violations
10.11 Prohibited Association
(a) Association by a Player or other Person subject to the authority of an Anti-Doping Organisation in a professional or sport-related capacity with any Athlete Support Person who:
(i) If subject to the authority of an Anti-Doping Organisation, is serving a period of ineligibility.

The only people who should be allowed in the rooms are people who are in a professional or sport-related capacity. Fletcher being in the rooms would therefore make every player, coach and other official in the rooms commit an anti-doping violation under the AFL Anti-Doping Code.

10. Anti-Doping Rule Violations
10.11 Prohibited Association
(a) Association by a Player or other Person subject to the authority of an Anti-Doping Organisation in a professional or sport-related capacity with any Athlete Support Person who:
(i) If subject to the authority of an Anti-Doping Organisation, is serving a period of ineligibility.

The only people who should be allowed in the rooms are people who are in a professional or sport-related capacity. Fletcher being in the rooms would therefore make every player, coach and other official in the rooms commit an anti-doping violation under the AFL Anti-Doping Code.

Thought that was the case hence referred to that as well in the my last paragraph. Thanks.

It is completely not understandable why at least one player did not inform or ask the doc who we know was like a father to some of these men. That is, unless there were orders.... Nothing else makes sense.

While I understand the point, I don't agree.

The Doctor knew enough to make a half arsed protest and never follow through on it. In my opinion he is as culpable as anyone. Including the designers and implementers of the drug program.

A mature, widely experienced and successful professional who was also a long term football club insider. A man whose primary professional duty ( a duty which nets him large bags of cash) is the welfare of his patients. Which includes every player at the football club.

Once having formed suspicions, for Reid to not act diligently and aggressively to satisfy himself that he knew exactly what was going on is a disgrace. It's not management or flow charts or governance. It is his primary professional duty. Not a duty to the his employer or his Club. The first and foremost duty of his profession.

Within the WADA Code the players took the rap, which they have to if we are to have any kind of drug enforcement. But in the wider world the Doctor is at least as culpable, and quite likely more so, than any player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back