Fletcher not allowed to watch his son play

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I understand the point, I don't agree.

The Doctor knew enough to make a half arsed protest and never follow through on it. In my opinion he is as culpable as anyone. Including the designers and implementers of the drug program.

A mature, widely experienced and successful professional who was also a long term football club insider. A man whose primary professional duty ( a duty which nets him large bags of cash) is the welfare of his patients. Which includes every player at the football club.

Once having formed suspicions, for Reid to not act diligently and aggressively to satisfy himself that he knew exactly what was going on is a disgrace. It's not management or flow charts or governance. It is his primary professional duty. Not a duty to the his employer or his Club. The first and foremost duty of his profession.

Within the WADA Code the players took the rap, which they have to if we are to have any kind of drug enforcement. But in the wider world the Doctor is at least as culpable, and quite likely more so, than any player.

you couldn't get Reid on anything, because you can bet your arse he cares more about his medical licence more then he does essendon. essendon was always protecting essendon, not the players.

While I understand the point, I don't agree.

I think we are on the same page. I probably didn't express myself as well as I should have.

My point was, if an experienced player or group of players who knew the drill regarding routine drug testing knew that they could not correctly name the substances they would have to list on their stat decs, then I thought they might go to somebody they trusted so they had the info they needed to avoid supplying incorrect information on the forms.

To me, it appears that they were OK with being ignorant, and they never intended to fill the form honestly.

I was questioning this, but I did make mention that the doc was only vaguely aware of what was going on. Hard to see how that is possible unless there was a deliberate and controlled process in place to keep him in the dark. But that has had plenty of coverage already, so no real point to bring it up over and over.

What you say is logical to me.

Getting back to the players and filling the forms...

I'm unsure how many jabs or potions AFL players get during matches, recovery and training, but it would seem to me that protocols, perhaps even laws would require the doc to keep records of every item administered and that it would be the doc who shares this with each player so that if they got a knock on the door at 2pm Tuesday arvo, they had a list of what they had to declare on hand. That is why I figured the players would be going to the doc to get the exact info they needed. If they wanted to fill the forms accurately.

The title of this thread should be changed. He can watch his son.

Exactly.

Oh and if Ken Fletcher does know that what the players were given wasn't performance enhancing perhaps he can let Hal Hunter know what he was injected with. If he knows what they were injected with wasn't performance enhancing, he must know what the substances were.

Oh and if Ken could explain the purpose of injecting players when they weren't injured, I'd be interested to know. My guess it was to enhance their performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fletcher has wanted to coach tennis as well as take roles in coaching and official in footy.

Breach the requirements, these bans are extended.

Teams, clubs, players etc that allow him to do this are also liable to sanctions for associating with a banned person.

the ban is not an AFL only ban, it is a worldwide sports ban.

essendon was always protecting essendon, not the players.
In hindsight, is this really so? We didn't find out until CAS that the players themselves mislead the ASADA testers and even their own club doc.

EFC must have known that info but suppressed it, drawing heat away from the players?

In hindsight, is this really so? We didn't find out until CAS that the players themselves mislead the ASADA testers and even their own club doc.

EFC must have known that info but suppressed it, drawing heat away from the players?
I doubt that all those players individually decided to not complete all details on doping forms and all ignore the club doc.
I similarly doubt that the players themselves planned this approach as a collective.

*Someone* (or someones) "coached" the players on a "team" play to ensure that black-op secrets didn't get out to those other clubs.

The club was protecting itself and all of it's assets.

That included the meat in the display cabinet - but only up to a point.

Once some of that meat began to look like it was going to spoil, it has been a good damage mitigation strategy to sell it off or otherwise offload it, before getting in as much new stock in as was possible - with making it too obvious.

Is this thread still going? Sheesh. There needs to be a truth and reconciliation commission set up immediately - its pretty tragic...
Perhaps the AFL could just extend the coverage of the "AFL grievance tribunal", to incude supporters and foamers?

Could be a new marketing and revenue stream. Live coverage streamed from the tribunal, full coverage from "accredited journos", special segment for Super-coach comp grievances - it's a potential gold-mine of entertainment!;)

Edit - back on topic, I'm assuming here that old Fletch' has already availed himself of this wondrous, supporting mechanism, with his reported grievance of the impact from his doping ban?

I doubt that all those players individually decided to not complete all details on doping forms and all ignore the club doc.
I similarly doubt that the players themselves planned this approach as a collective.

*Someone* (or someones) "coached" the players on a "team" play to ensure that black-op secrets didn't get out to those other clubs.

The club was protecting itself and all of it's assets.

That included the meat in the display cabinet - but only up to a point.

Once some of that meat began to look like it was going to spoil, it has been a good damage mitigation strategy to sell it off or otherwise offload it, before getting in as much new stock in as was possible - with making it too obvious.

this is your answer, your dealing with 34 individuals, To believe that they all independently decided to keep everything from the club, when these things were being administered by the club is foolish.

all along commentators independent from the club said the players would be found guilty and that this would end up at CAS, this was repeatedly said for 3 years. Yet we're too believe the EFC itself believed this wouldn't be the case?

the result of essendons defence of its systematic doping program? the club avoided being charged with systematic doping despite the undisputed fact that the cub ran a team wide doping program using experimental drugs and the players took all the heat.

hindsight is a wonderful thing, yes. perhaps that's where the players are victims, victims of believing the club ever having their interests at heart.

The club and the players knew that Dank had been employed to find a way around the code.

He screwed up though.

In the meantime, the players and everyone involved kept what they we're doing hush, because the last thing they wanted to happen was that other clubs got the same rewards they were getting, or that ASADA closed the loophole.

Pity for them, the loophole they thought they were working, never really existed, and compounding TB4 didn't make it a safe and permissible drug.

Oh, and Fletcher, says he never intended to cheat, says he grew up knowing not to do the wrong thing.....for a guy who holds the AFL record for guilty verdicts(16) and suspensions, all those swinging legs to opponents running passed over his career, must've just been a misunderstanding.

In any other comp, he'd have been blacklisted in 2013, for surpassing 20 games of suspension.

Wonder if fletch will ever come to the conclusion that he shouldve led younger players better by asking for more information and a non biased opinion on the regime of chemicals that has now bought legal firms millions and is about to ramp up another load of briefs for the Victorian Justice system.
This man and several other "so called club leaders" should be help accountable for their non behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back