Fletcher not allowed to watch his son play

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the dim dark ages, some racing clubs banned racecallers from their tracks because they thought it would cause people to stay home. Cyril Angles called Sydney races from a variety of positions - the laundry of a flat overlooking Kensington; the branches of a Moreton Bay fig flanking Warwick Farm; a chair perched upon a table on the back of a lorry parked next to Rosehill; a platform atop some rickety scaffolding at Ascot. The legendary Ken Howard once called the races from a hot air balloon, and on one occasion had to abandon his call from a tree overlooking Pakenham after a committeeman appeared with an axe.

Ah, the good old days. Wonder what the old battleaxe committeeman would have made of smart phones and live betting apps.

Exactly my point. How do we know this is true?

Also neither pazza nor Garlic muncher nor anyone else has yet answered if Fletcher rang ASADA to ask for an exemption if indeed he was not allowed to go to the ground.

Still awaiting their replies.
Why don't you ring ASADA if you're so interested?

Why don't you ring ASADA if you're so interested?
They are the ones saying that ASADA has created a situation a father cannot watch his own son, not me. So, it's up to them to see if it occurred the way they are saying.

I would have thought that was painfully obvious to anyone with any semblance of intelligence.......

WADA getting soft :thumbsdown:
WADA was trying to get this punishment through but it missed out by a single vote!

drawn-and-quartered.jpg

Blackcat's sig- Goldman dilemma lite?

hypothetical:
time-machine back to 2012, Fletch sits in Dank's office.
Dank: I'll level with you mate, this Thymo stuff has incredible anti-inflammatory properties, turbo-boosts recovery, but it's right on the edge of legal, if you know what I mean.
Fletch: On the edge? sounds risky..
Dank: Think about it mate, this could prolong your career by 20 games. You could join the most elite club in footy, hell there's been more triple Brownlow medallists than there's been blokes play 400! Look, 99% chance this Thymo stuff will never be an issue, and if it ever is you'll be retired anyway, the worst that could happen is you have to miss one of your boys praccy matches.
Fletch: Hmmm...

what would you answer if it were you?

Professional footballer - Uber A type personality - chance to become an immortal within a sport code. You are surrounded by players from all clubs who dabble - indeed your coach, a then icon of the game had used Charter's skill in the past. Of course you take the drugs - total no brainer really.

Should drug cheats be allowed to return to there workplace while suspended?
Fletcher has retired and is no longer employed by the EFC. So while you can take the view he is suspended, he has also retired.
So its surprising he wouldn't be allowed near the club. What possible advantage would he get given he isn't going to be playing this year, next year or any year after that?
Seems a stupid and petty call. I get why the 12 on our list are not allowed near the club. Or those who are taking up coaching careers.
But for a guy who has stepped away from the game, its staggering.

Holier than thou attitude from a melbourne supporter, thank your lucky stars the shitfight around the bombers has let melbournes dealings with dank fly under the radar. On a secondary note, what if fletch ignores wada? What are they going to do to a retired player? Does anyone know the ramifications?

Wouldn't his penalty be extended? Maybe the organisation he works for might be penalised as well.

Would be a classless act of him to pursue that path and he's not the type to make embarrass himself and others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are the ones saying that ASADA has created a situation a father cannot watch his own son, not me. So, it's up to them to see if it occurred the way they are saying.

I would have thought that was painfully obvious to anyone with any semblance of intelligence.......
They're just relaying what Lloydy said, you are the one that wants to know if they rang ASADA.
Why don't you find out for sure and regale us with your knowledge?

Seems stupid to me.

I mean, if his son was 'playing' daily/weekly at Essendons training HQ, you'd be suspicious...:p

Also, what's the punishment if Fletch hops around the back of the ground, puts on a wig and moustache, jumps the fence, and watches his son? Are ASADA going to suspend him from the AFL? Or are they going to suspend the guy on the gate who let him in?
I don't really understand how the AFL/ASADA whoever is in charge could have applied sanctions if Fletcher had snuck in...

And also interested in question posed by Ancient Tiger - if they didn't seek out an available window of opportunity to be allowed to watch his son play, then is this story just around to drum up sympathy?

Fletcher has retired and is no longer employed by the EFC. So while you can take the view he is suspended, he has also retired.
So its surprising he wouldn't be allowed near the club. What possible advantage would he get given he isn't going to be playing this year, next year or any year after that?
Seems a stupid and petty call. I get why the 12 on our list are not allowed near the club. Or those who are taking up coaching careers.
But for a guy who has stepped away from the game, its staggering.

I would imagine that if an athlete retires after getting hit with a ban, then the rules would still apply equally.

Nothing stopping someone from coming out of retirement once the ban has expired.

I would imagine that if an athlete retires after getting hit with a ban, then the rules would still apply equally.

Nothing stopping someone from coming out of retirement once the ban has expired.
I can see that being the case with with anyone who hasn't retired prior to the outcome, but Fletch effectively retired mid-season, and officially retired prior to the case being settled.
There is a common sense approach to this that should be taken.

I can see that being the case with with anyone who hasn't retired prior to the outcome, but Fletch effectively retired mid-season, and officially retired prior to the case being settled.
So someone too old to drive shouldn't get a 12 month drive whilst disqualified order in the court after driving at 0.12?

We apply this and Nek minit he starts driving again due to his dementia and smashes into the Tulla oval

Put yourself in the kids shoes: Your isn't allowed to watch you play because he's banned and even from his point of view I don't care what happened but if you weren't allowed to watch your son play footy or your daughter play netball you would be pretty flat

Put yourself in the kids shoes: Your isn't allowed to watch you play because he's banned and even from his point of view I don't care what happened but if you weren't allowed to watch your son play footy or your daughter play netball you would be pretty flat
One game. And it's actually your fault that you can't. Sad for him. Sad for his kid. Good for the game. Bad luck

It's sad for a kid not to watch your dad play in a GF if you snipe someone in the prelim - it's GOOD for kids to know that there are rules and consequences.

Otherwise we are dumb c$&@& giving them Macas for breakfast every day

Fine, back date it 2 years from then. 371 games played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back