Fly’s values - can you relate?

How relatable do you find Fly?

• Love the bloke, but he is a freak and an alien amongst us. Cannot relate. At all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Love the bloke, but he is like my sister’s latest lover who drinks sour beer. Struggle to relate

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Love the bloke, I kinda get where he’s coming from. Moderately relatable

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Love the bloke, I get his vibes. Can relate

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Love the bloke, he is my brother. He and I are one. Totally relatable

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We all love Fly. It’s easy to love a senior coach who has turned Collingwood around so effectively.

But how much can you relate to his values in your own life?

(a) No booing in the Fly household
(b) Taking the stairs (choosing the hard option)
(c) Behave like a winner (even if you’re losing)
(d) Setting up those around you to succeed
(e) Embrace story telling
(f) Generally embracing optimism and positivity
(g) ‘Playing the minutes’ (in your job / life)
(h) Wipe away failures like a windscreen wiper
(i) Others I’ve missed?

Poll above

Last edited:
We all love Fly. It’s easy to love a senior coach who has turned Collingwood around so effectively.

Can generally relate. I don’t boo and never have. Ever. But I don‘t feel strongly about people who do.

100% relate to this one. Literally and figuratively. I always take the stairs when I can.

If given two options I always take the hard option. I find that so much more rewarding. Struggle to relate to people who take shortcuts or only go with the low hanging fruit.

Nah, I struggle a bit with this one.

Sorta, kinda. I’m probably a bit more of a “Throw people in the deep end ..” kind of a person. Give people opportunities and let them learn from their mistakes.

Yeah, that’s me.

I go through phases on this one. I can be optimistic (but it’s never blind optimism). When something looks to be doomed for failure that can fuel me to strive to succeed (fits into the ‘hard path’ stuff). But I can sometimes be pulled down as well, especially when those around me can’t be assed.

This is an interesting one. Haven’t exerted that level of control over my life. Food for thought.

I find this one profound. It hasn’t been me at all, but I like it. A lot.

Last edited:

This is an interesting one. Haven’t exerted that level of control over my life. Food for thought.

My take on this one is that it’s not about high level or absolute control, more along the lines of focus on the immediate task, situation or issue and not worry about the subsequent 2 or 3 steps. The idea of “don’t get ahead of yourself” and do what needs to be done immediately, and focus on the here and now. No point dropping your bundle and freaking out about a future possibility that may not eventuate if actions are taken now to avoid or mitigate. Of course, things may not go your way or turn out as you’d hoped but you will have done what you could.

It’s a well known technique for managing stress and anxiety.

Before my kids played team sport, I reminded them there was no ‘I’ in ‘team’ but there was in ‘win’

If I had driven to some God-forsaken steppes, I wanted to see them hog the ball and go for glory

Unfortunately, most of the time, neither had the talent to deliver on my instructions

My take on this one is that it’s not about high level or absolute control, more along the lines of focus on the immediate task, situation or issue and not worry about the subsequent 2 or 3 steps. The idea of “don’t get ahead of yourself” and do what needs to be done immediately, and focus on the here and now. No point dropping your bundle and freaking out about a future possibility that may not eventuate if actions are taken now to avoid or mitigate. Of course, things may not go your way or turn out as you’d hoped but you will have done what you could.

It’s a well known technique for managing stress and anxiety.
'Do what you need to do but remain unattached any outcome'

It's an ancient principle for mitigating suffering and anguish. Bang on the mark.

I can relate to them all except ‘C’.

I recall in Fly’s first pre-season there was footage of the players running somewhere - might have been around the Tan - and the coaching assistants were holding up signs that read ‘winners’.

I remember thinking - is that all you’ve got, new coach, silly ‘winners’ signs?

VP was once again on the mark.🙃

I was once joking with my partner, telling her that I intend to write my own eulogy, that I'd include that 'JB was a happy-go-lucky man, never failing to see the brighter side of life'.

Oh how we laughed.

I'm happy for a coach to impart whatever wisdom he thinks will work, especially if it works, but I'd rather not dwell upon it myself.

This one's more controversial: (e) embrace storytelling in drag. I'd really rather that our players don't risk ankle injuries from high heels.

Last edited:
Love what he is doing at the club but have never loved catch crys and the like

Reckon if I was in a footy team with him, imagine for a moment Fly with a big talent drain to make that happen, I would like him and be impressed by his continued positivity but would be secretly wishing he would just shut up in team meetings.

Excellant thread 76WS. These are values for an institution, for individuals in a particular place and time. I find (f) embracing positivity a challenge having been raised in a glass half empty world, but one of the most important truths in my work as an educator of young people. (b) taking the stairs is relevant to youth. No pain no gain is not a truth. There is a sweet spot, to find joy in life and sniff the roses. Its not only about struggle. Wiping away failures? Failures are the ground rock of success, wiping away comes across to me as missing the truth of:
“If you can meet success and failure and treat them both as impostors, then you are a balanced man, my son.” — Rudyard Kipling

(i) Others I’ve missed?

Poll above
Sounds good in theory.

Sounds good in theory.

You don’t think it’s working well in practice?

A recap: 18 months ago we’d finished 17
on the ladder. Today we’re Premiership favorites. And we’ve become the darling team of the comp that everybody wants to watch.

How did that happen!?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don’t think it’s working well in practice?

A recap: 18 months ago we’d finished 17
on the ladder. Today we’re Premiership favorites. And we’ve become the darling team of the comp that everybody wants to watch.

How did that happen!?!
It’s working fantastically well, and I’m enjoying the results.

Let’s just say I wouldn’t make the cut in Fly’s value system.

The most significant part of your analysis for me is the lack of club, jumper, teammates, sacrifice. My point is not that these don't exist in the Fly repertoire but that they are not the ones we go too. Its an indication of a modern set of values that sit with professional football. On the other hand I think supporters largely still come from the past set of values.

(a) As I've gotten older I dislike booing but it never used to bother me. It's a change.

(b) Sometimes the stairs sometimes the elevators. Sometimes its enough just having a shower in the day.

(c) Fake it til' you make it? Hate the concept. I'm pretty honest about it if I feel I'm not delivering. If i'm not it drives me.

(d) Yep. I like to build someone up and give them faith and responsibility.

(e) Love a good yarn!

(f) I try real hard at this but often fail. I always try to be concious of the effect negativity can have on others and do my best to avoid it if it isn't constructive in some way. I'm not sure I alway's achieve that.

(g) What minutes? I feel like an over worked Vishnu in the Simpsons these days. Need to work on this.

(h) Terrible at this and wish I were better at it. I think the idea is spot on.

I love the guy , the general philosophy he brings and think he's the perfect coach for the current generation...........and that's all I care about. If I had to work under him and deliver his message to the group I think my cringe-ometer would be bursting and I'd struggle :)

Not taking the stairs in my building. I live 15 floors up lol

There are a lot of people in this world who spend decent money on gym memberships to get access to that kind of exercise 🤣

I love the guy , the general philosophy he brings and think he's the perfect coach for the current generation...........and that's all I care about. If I had to work under him and deliver his message to the group I think my cringe-ometer would be bursting and I'd struggle :)

I know what you are talking about, but there are a few things I struggle with …

(1) Exactly where are those forces of ‘cringe’ coming from? What’s driving them? Why isn’t it enough to simply justify it with “If I get all happy clappy with my team mates then we’re improving our chances of winning, and that’s a good thing?”. Why are there the elements of society that shoot themselves in the foot? Are there really footy clubs out there that full of people who would rather be the cool kids than be winners?

(2) Curious to ponder how Fly would be overcoming those forces? I guess having been a three time Premiership player and the lad who organised Mad Mondays and end-of-season trips, he’d have a bit of cred behind him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fly’s values - can you relate?

Back