Remove this Banner Ad

red bean

Debutant
Dec 1, 2007
Westernport Peninsula
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi All;

I've never started a thread before but have been on here all morning waiting for someone to post any sort of argument for Nathan Foley's omission. Does anyone have an explanation for this? Did not see this coming at all.

1. Axel hasn't been super in recent weeks
  2. He is NOT in competition for Ricky Petterds position
  3. Finals are hard contested games and therefore have chosen bigger bodies
  4. Shane Edwards may play through the midfield
  5. If Carlton tag Cotchin, Martin and Ellis Dimma may do what he did for the Freo game and put those guys in the centre square bounces. Thus Axels greatest strength (centre square stoppages) is taken away and he is not as good in the forward line as other mids, Ie Cotchin, Martin, Edwards, Deledio
  6. He pulled up sore from last week or got a niggle at training
  7. Is actually playing but is a late change
All of those are reasons why I would explain why Nathan Foley is not selected...yet

I am not at all surprised by this omission. I barely seen Foley have any significant impact this season - he's been mostly ok, pretty good in some games but he seems to have lost a yard and his disposal has been very ragged.
Some will also question Tuck's disposal but he is a bull and definitely is a must for this crucial game...

1. Axel hasn't been super in recent weeks
  2. He is NOT in competition for Ricky Petterds position
  3. Finals are hard contested games and therefore have chosen bigger bodies
  4. Shane Edwards may play through the midfield
  5. If Carlton tag Cotchin, Martin and Ellis Dimma may do what he did for the Freo game and put those guys in the centre square bounces. Thus Axels greatest strength (centre square stoppages) is taken away and he is not as good in the forward line as other mids, Ie Cotchin, Martin, Edwards, Deledio
  6. He pulled up sore from last week or got a niggle at training
  7. Is actually playing but is a late change
All of those are reasons why I would explain why Nathan Foley is not selected...yet

Yes, I noted he is an emergency. I wonder if he will take his place after all.

I am not at all surprised by this omission. I barely seen Foley have any significant impact this season - he's been mostly ok, pretty good in some games but he seems to have lost a yard and his disposal has been very ragged.
Some will also question Tuck's disposal but he is a bull and definitely is a must for this crucial game...

Might be a bit of horses for courses to who knows. Not a massive surprise to me, likewise if we progress no surprise if he comes in for someone else either

Well people around here love petterd so wouldn't try and find any sense of it here not going to happen the same people probably write Foley off for good. don't know where this lack of pace has come from seemed to me he still has shitloads of pace imagine he will have a great year next year with a full pre season as long as the petterd lovers don't trade him for a 4th rounder.

Well people around here love petterd so wouldn't try and find any sense of it here not going to happen the same people probably write Foley off for good. don't know where this lack of pace has come from seemed to me he still has shitloads of pace imagine he will have a great year next year with a full pre season as long as the petterd lovers don't trade him for a 4th rounder.

Yer Petterd has been absolutely useless through the midfield this year! I seriously haven't seen him win 1 centre clearance!

Astonishing that Axel didn't get selected as a medium sized backman!

Unfortunately Foley has never come back from his severe injuries suffered in 2009. While he's still a useful ball winner, he doesn't seem to have that explosiveness he possessed back then, which made him one of the best centre clearance players in the comp.
Without that, he's just in the mix of small midfielders who can get the ball, chip it around etc - but he has no outstanding attribute. His kicking is marginal, and he's a small body. Not a goal kicker either.

I really, really hope he can get 100% fit and recapture that speed he used to have. But right now, he's marginal best 22. Depends on opponents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't

he has been shit simple, but he has been injured a lot lately so it will take him a long time to get back to his best, probs mid next year or near the start after a solid pre-season. he sustained a torn achillies which can be seriously detrimentel to a players performance for quiet some time.

you're asking the wrong question.

we have competition for spots now, plenty of reason why guys miss

be it Foley, Tuck, Vlas, White, etc the correct question is what is his CURRENT form delivering that our side needs

people keep talking about his run and breaking the lines, but he is only doing this 1-2 times a game lately (understandable given return from injury and pre-season preoccupied by rehab)

all players have to justify their spot by answering "what have you done for me lately?"

In dimmas dissection this week I remember him saying Foley has been coughing the ball up and he is working hard on rectifying it. Or something along those lines

In dimmas dissection this week I remember him saying Foley has been coughing the ball up and he is working hard on rectifying it. Or something along those lines

He's been butchering it for about a month now. Can't have guys like that in finals. Seems as though they were happy to give him as long as possible to rectify but he ran out of time. Good move I think:thumbsu:

Hi All;

I've never started a thread before but have been on here all morning waiting for someone to post any sort of argument for Nathan Foley's omission. Does anyone have an explanation for this? Did not see this coming at all.
Hooray, someone that wants an answer about this, I'm trying to figure out how to get an official explanation for this disgusting decision, petered has been injured 3 or 4 times this year and always goes straight back into the seniors, some big favouritism going down.

So y
ou are saying that petered deserve his spot

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Foley out; please explain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back