Coach Football department changes going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Out: Nepotism
In: Hiring based on merit/credentials

Bev has to go. He's not going to let us sack his mates and install our own line coaches. He's got too much power at the club. It'd be like asking Putin to step back and relinquish some of his authority.
You're going to be disappointed if Leon Cameron as rumoured comes on board then.

Given Leon is close to our Senior coach. Football director and a Member of the board.

Thankfully on AFL Access All Areas this morning, Lloydy said the dogs problems are poor coaching and structure, not personnel. He said that even if we bring Lobb and Jones into the club, if the structure and game plan aren't fixed, we'll still be s***. Need more people in the media to start talking about this and putting pressure on the club to make changes.

Thankfully on AFL Access All Areas this morning, Lloydy said the dogs problems are poor coaching and structure, not personnel. He said that even if we bring Lobb and Jones into the club, if the structure and game plan aren't fixed, we'll still be s***. Need more people in the media to start talking about this and putting pressure on the club to make changes.

He’s right. Personnel won’t do a thing unless we fix our structures

You're going to be disappointed if Leon Cameron as rumoured comes on board then.

Given Leon is close to our Senior coach. Football director and a Member of the board.
Would still be hired on merit & credentials though, no way Leon would come onboard and be a yes man to Bevo - too proud & experienced for that shit

The sudden departure of Hansen did not help us at all and resulted in us making last minute appointments to people with little experience and/or lack of balls to challenge Bevos thinking. Keep Beveridge on for the remainder of his contract but next year we need a major restructure of our assistant coaching panel and beyond.

I think Leon Cameron would be a good pick for a senior role of some kind.

Would still be hired on merit & credentials though, no way Leon would come onboard and be a yes man to Bevo - too proud & experienced for that s**t
Yeah I don't see Leon as a yes man at all.

I remembering hearing from someone who use to work at GWS that he is a complete hard ass no nonsense type, hopefully that mixes well with Bevo and his motivating type personality.

Yeah I don't see Leon as a yes man at all.

I remembering hearing from someone who use to work at GWS that he is a complete hard ass no nonsense type, hopefully that mixes well with Bevo and his motivating type personality.
You only need to watch that Amazon doco to see he’s not a yes man. The doco highlights other issues with him though.

First we need to have a thorough and fearless review - and a strategy.

A purge without doing that will in all probability condemn us to cycles of aimless floundering for the next decade.
At the end of ‘aimless floundering’ you then have…North Melbourne! Unlike many on here I respect North a lot but they have ‘floundered’ for over a decade because of a number of things. And it never just ‘turns around’, you need the right people with the right vision in most of the key roles within a club. No nepotism and godfather figures ruling beyond their role.

Would still be hired on merit & credentials though, no way Leon would come onboard and be a yes man to Bevo - too proud & experienced for that s**t
Im in no way saying that Cameron would be a yes man. What I am say is that his close relationship with 3 of the clubs most influential people would make any move against Beveridges alleged dogmatic approach somewhat... problematic.

Ive got nothing against Cameron coming aboard per say, if we are to go down the senior assistant route. God knows we could do with some quality assistants. Its just that I'd prefer to bring in somebody from outside of the clubs insular culture and without the potential personal conflicts that Cameron would inevitably bring with him. And lets be honest, whoever that is will in all likelihood be next in line for the day that Beveridge either pulls the pin or has it pulled for him.

Personally, Id rather that wasnt the guy that couldn't get the best out of a gilt edged squad that was given ever possible chance of success by the powers that be yet failed.

Troy Chaplin please.

Leppitsch to provide a bit of ballast in the box.

And one of the McVeighs (Jarrad preferably)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Along with a couple of new experienced assistants who aren't bottom dollar yes men, We need a Neil Balm, Mark Williams type head of football that Bev needs to answer too and pulls him up on the ridiculous team selections and lack of game day tactics.
+1 This. Love Grant for all his done for the club but we need someone outside of the Footscray fraternity in this job.

Im in no way saying that Cameron would be a yes man. What I am say is that his close relationship with 3 of the clubs most influential people would make any move against Beveridges alleged dogmatic approach somewhat... problematic.

Ive got nothing against Cameron coming aboard per say, if we are to go down the senior assistant route. God knows we could do with some quality assistants. Its just that I'd prefer to bring in somebody from outside of the clubs insular culture and without the potential personal conflicts that Cameron would inevitably bring with him. And lets be honest, whoever that is will in all likelihood be next in line for the day that Beveridge either pulls the pin or has it pulled for him.

Personally, Id rather that wasnt the guy that couldn't get the best out of a gilt edged squad that was given ever possible chance of success by the powers that be yet failed.
I get what you’re saying, but I’d be looking at them as two completely seperate positions. I wouldn’t be recruiting for our senior assistant role with someone who has senior ambitions, fraught with danger and a conflict of interest really.

Look at the success Melbourne has had with Choco & Richo, Tigs with Leppitsch, Pies now with Bolton & Leppitsch. (We’ve got Sphanger 😂)

These are all guys who realistically know their shot at a senior role is now finished, at least in the short term maybe they can work their way back over years but for now they’re focussed on their current roles at their clubs, and all are really failed senior coaches due to certain weaknesses, but who bring huge experience and a wealth of AFL knowledge with them.

That’s what we’d be trying to replicate, hiring someone who is busting at the seams for a senior opportunity under Bev in the hope that he can take over in the case Bev leaves isn’t really ideal.

Cameron had weaknesses, by the sounds of things it was possibly his player management, communication, motivational side of things in trying to get the best out of a supremely talented, albeit flaky and ‘manufactured’ list. But he’s a hardass and you can’t question his previous football knowledge, he’s had extremely successful lines under him for years - he’d compliment Bev well. I think he’d take one look at what we’re doing defensively right now and tell Bev he’s a ****ing idiot tbh

Leon was very close to getting the gig over Beveridge and was a very highly rated assistant to Clarkson.
I'd actually prefer Cameron to any assistant we have at the club at the moment.

I saw Leon Cameron in action as an assistant years ago (2004) when I got a pass (through BF!) into the rooms pre-match - was the Peter Rohde era, and the game in question we got spanked by Freo. Our assistants included Cameron and Alan Richardson. Leon was right near us when he was giving a few players a bit of a quiet chat before they ran out. Seemed measured and engaged, not sure what happened to him between that and his lack of empathy at GWS.

On the other hand, senior coach Rohde gave them the equivalent of a suburban league rev up: "we owe these blokes, we owe these blokes" - because at the WB v Freo game at Docklands in 2003 they pumped us by 83 under his stewardship, but Rohde masterminded an improvement in in 2004 to only lose by 41!

Would love to welcome Leon Cameron back as the senior assistant coach. Exactly what we need, some experience.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Unsure if this has been answered already but aren’t assistant coaches usually made aware whether they’ll be at the club the following year at this time? Is this usually public information or is it not normally known until post season? I genuinely can’t remember.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Football department changes going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back