Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

The other thing with the amount of the likely loss can we really afford to pay him out. Personally I would rather have the extra live body doing a job and worry about the IP when we are back at the top of the table.

PS looks like another great management move by Bowers. This type of thing is why we are losing money hand over fist.

PS looks like another great management move by Bowers. This type of thing is why we are losing money hand over fist.

Seems to me that Bowers may have learned from the Mal Michael fiasco.

Personally I would rather have the extra live body doing a job and worry about the IP when we are back at the top of the table.
Part of the reason Jade Rawlings was given a job here was because he promised to deliver Richmond IP.

On his first day on the job at the Gabba, he was asked to hand it over; and he duly produced a manilla folder with one torn-out exercise book page contained therein.

And on it was written...

:)

Ping

[216.108.277.145]
Bad destination
Bad destination
Bad destination
Bad destination
Bad destination
Bad destination
Bad destination
Bad destination
Bad destination
Bad destination
Average time over 10 pings: 0 ms

Link

The Brisbane Lions AFC is pleased to announce that Manny Lynch has filled the critical role of Club Welfare Development Manager made vacant following the recent departure of Craig Lambert.

mannylynch.jpg

Link

Long-serving Team Manager Barry Lowe has advised the Lions that he will be moving on after 22 years as a valuable member of the Club's support staff.

Lowe started with the Club back in 1989 as the Team Manager of the then Brisbane Bears' reserves side before being elevated to Team Manager of the senior team after just one pre-season practice match.

lowe.jpg

Tribute Thread

So is Lynch now filling two spots? development coach and welfare manager?

Which is basically what Lambert did anyway. Player welfare manager + pitched in with some coaching.

I suspect there will be a new development coaching appointment to fill the Lambert gap though.

Right - that's great news if that's the case :thumbsu:.

I'd hate to think with all the talk this season about our budget cuts & Collins dual roles etc that we are now having to multitask our football dept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im baffled by this.

If he wants to break his contract to go elsewhere shouldnt he, or the club that will be picking him up, be compensating us.... not vice versa :cool:

Almost any contract has a "retirement" clause where you can leave after giving a certain amount of notice. It's how you can give four weeks notice before going to another job. I assume Lambert would be no different. If, however, we want him to make him sit out a year before taking up another team's offer we need to effectively maintain a contract over that period - which generally means continuing to pay him.

Incidently, that's why non-compete clauses are generally ruled invalid in Australia unless your previous employer continues to pay you - because once a contract has been ceased (by retirement or other), any other clauses in the contract no longer apply.

Its a fair bit more complicated than that dlanod and the non-compete clauses can easily be expressed to continue after termination. It generally comes down to public policy and the courts weigh someone's right to earn a living more highly than the protection of the employer.

A non-compete clause preventing Lambert from working for an AFL club in Qld probably has a very good chance of getting up. He could still go elsewhere and earn his living. You would struggle if you tried to prevent him from going to any other AFL club because there is commonly a lot of movement between clubs coaching wise and stopping him going to another club would unfairly fetter his ability to earn a living in his chosen profession.

Certainly you would have the right to protect the Lions intellectual property and technically a coach shouldn't take any materials with them when they leave a club. All systems etc that they develop whilst at a club are the property of the club not the individual. In practice though it is virtually impossible to enforce these types of provisions.

In the business world it is very common to pay someone who has a lot of information about an organisation for a time after they leave a club. The courts will usually uphold these types of clauses as it protects the company whilst allowing the individual to earn a living at the same time. This is often referred to as "gardening leave". I took a redundency after my last job which had a four month gardening leave component. It co-incided with the birth of my son and ended up being a great arrangement. You will find most CEOs, COOs, CFO etc in major companies would have these types of provisions in their contracts.

It is very odd to have some many people moving around in such a short amount of time. Clearly something isn't, or hasn't been right behind the scenes. I really do hope the club can make some key hiring of staff during the off season. We need to not only fill or replace moving or leaving staff, but fill the voids that were there before hand, like our footy department manager.

I am a lot more interested in our staffing signings rather than our player signings this year.

Link

Others are said to be considering their futures, among them Josh Drummond, with a swag of off-field departures also in train. Craig Lambert (welfare), Lachlan Penfold (strength and conditioning) and Barry Lowe (team manager) have already left, in the case of Lowe, for Gold Coast, and several of coach Michael Voss's assistants are likely to make way.

Where did you get that from CB?
As a fitness man or assistant or perhaps even both ?

Was announced on 5AA and SEN Radio yesterday. Fitness man.

Port offered him a strength and conditioning role but fitness is his area of expertise. So the Birdman is Brisbane bound.

So yeah, doubt it will also comprise an assistants role. Will be primarily fitness, maybe with the occassional "speccy clinic" :D.

Was announced on 5AA and SEN Radio yesterday. Fitness man.

Port offered him a strength and conditioning role but fitness is his area of expertise. So the Birdman is Brisbane bound.

So what number will he wear, & how will he go on a forward line with Fev & Brown. ;)

Thats some good news.
I have been happy with all of todays announcements, lets hope we get on a roll.

They posted the announcement too

The Brisbane Lions are pleased to announce that former Adelaide Crows forward Brett Burton has been appointed as the Club's new Physical Performance Manager.

He will commence his duties with the Club when some of the Lions players return on Monday 4 October to prepare for the 2010 World Expo AFL exhibition match in Shanghai before returning to the Gabba on Monday 1 November - the eve of the team's pre-season training.

"I've pretty much started working already and I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty straight away," Burton said.

"I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible so that I can hit the ground running and make sure the players are ready for China."

"The off-season is a critical period to get injuries sorted out and start working on our deficiencies as well."

The birdman might be able to help some players with their vertical leap he'll have his work cut out with Simon Black I'm not sure I've ever seen him get off the ground. He might be good to help Callum Bartlett out with getting over his knee recos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back