Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to back what Browndog said:

RECENTLY retired Adelaide Crow Brett Burton has knocked back an offer to join arch-enemy Port Adelaide as strength and conditioning coach.

Burton is said to favour a position in Victoria and is talking to a host of clubs.

"I'm not sure whether the role suits me," Burton said.

"Port Adelaide is looking for a person with strength and conditioning experience whereas my expertise is in fitness."

No room for happiness on this forum, please move along ;):p

If thats how you want to be.

Arrgghh great a guy that had his own career cut short by injuries is going to be the fitness man at the most injury prone club in the League. Can only end up in more injuries!!!

Hows that?

Rumour - JB2 left as he was scared the fitness man was going to be using him as a step ladder at training.

If thats how you want to be.

Sorry. Was being very tongue in cheek and sarcastic there. Please feel free to post happiness on here as much as you like. I, for one, am getting sick of the negativity around here which is why I poked fun at you for saying you were upbeat.

This is the critical thing which we have been missing from our strength and conditioning group:

The 32 year-old has an intimate knowledge of the game and knows first-hand what is required physically from athletes to compete at a consistent level.

Sorry. Was being very tongue in cheek and sarcastic there. Please feel free to post happiness on here as much as you like. I, for one, am getting sick of the negativity around here which is why I poked fun at you for saying you were upbeat.

No, sorry back Jorgo.
I meant to place a ;) with that post.
My bad. :D

This is the critical thing which we have been missing from our strength and conditioning group:

The 32 year-old has an intimate knowledge of the game and knows first-hand what is required physically from athletes to compete at a consistent level.

Also seems to have good methods to recovery from injuries. Came back a couple of times in his career from serious injury and never really lost his leap.

Link

"The role pretty much starts straight away," Manny Lynch said. "It's got a lot to do with the transition stuff with the players relocating up here to play football.
Lynch will have a hand in almost everything to do with the new players to the club from organising host families, cooking classes and educational courses.
Lynch will still play a part on match day and will most likely look after the rotations.

If we lose 3 (or more) senior players due to salary cap pressure then it would seem that Gubby has done a serious number on us. We have been fed to the wolves and it is becoming evident that he jumped ship before the shit hit the fan. For someone with his experience and reputation, and considering the degree of mismanagement, I can't help but wonder whether this has been an act of sabotage.

We are probably very lucky we've got some great looking young players who will hopefully see us through this dark period. If not for the 08 draft, we would be on very shakey ground right now. We would have very little coming through, and would be looking at a rebuild with no players left and no cap space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we lose 3 (or more) senior players due to salary cap pressure then it would seem that Gubby has done a serious number on us. We have been fed to the wolves and it is becoming evident that he jumped ship before the shit hit the fan. For someone with his experience and reputation, and considering the degree of mismanagement, I can't help but wonder whether this has been an act of sabotage.

Gubby cannot be held solely responsible IMO.

I'm still struggling with the notion that this is all due to the Fevola trade. Surely if we do lose the players reported, it has to come down to medium to long term mismanagement by the club.

What do you think his motive would be for undertaking this sort of action?

Personal reasons?

Surely it would not be all that advantageous to his role at GWS (assuming that he was intending on going there at the time of his involvement in the deals that have lead us to salary cap issues)?

What do you think his motive would be for undertaking this sort of action?

Personal reasons?

Surely it would not be all that advantageous to his role at GWS (assuming that he was intending on going there at the time of his involvement in the deals that have lead us to salary cap issues)?

I don't know. Perhaps he was setting us up so that GWS could raid us?

I just can't see how he wouldn't have realised the impending train wreck he put us on course for when he was organising the contracts.

I reckon it'd be a fairly low-percentage strategy, if he was indeed thinking this way.

Yeah, I think the more likely explanation is pure, unadulterated incompetence.

Yeah, I think the more likely explanation is pure, unadulterated incompetence.

Gubby is highly regarded and has plenty of experience. Leigh is gone and all of a sudden he can't do maths? Losing 3 experienced players (over a million dollars worth of payments) would be by far the biggest salary cap exodus in a single year any club has ever seen. I'm just not sure you can be that far out with your figures by accident.

Gubby is highly regarded and has plenty of experience. Leigh is gone and all of a sudden he can't do maths? Losing 3 experienced players (over a million dollars worth of payments) would be by far the biggest salary cap exodus in a single year any club has ever seen. I'm just not sure you can be that far out with your figures by accident.

I suspect it was more a matter of Gubby juggling chainsaws (aka rolling back-ended contracts) then bolting for the door with them in midair.

...and I'm still not convinced that the salary cap issue is *as* bad as has been made out (ie we may well have room for Shermo's contract and a small increase for the likes of Brennan).

Link

THE Brisbane Lions have snared veteran football boss John Reid as part-time mentor to coach Michael Voss as it continues to search for a full-time general manager overseeing the club's troubled football department.

Reid, who recently oversaw a review of the Lions' football operation, will return to the Gabba in coming days as the club continues to plot the rebuilding of its off-field structure. Although Reid's position will remain short-term for the time being, he is understood to be relishing the challenge of playing an advisory role helping Voss and the club's new physical-performance manager, Brett Burton.

johnreid.jpg

If there is truth in the proposition that we are trying to cut our salary spend to 92.5% of the cap for 2011, then Gubby is hardly to blame if he does the maths in 2009 based on 100% of the cap.

"If"

Edit: That amounts to a spending decrease of about $610,000 - or one very good player.

It woudl make sense, this is the year we are losing a few of our players to the new team, so it makes sense to make the cuts this year, otherwise that room left by departing players will get chewed up easy. We are also going for youth, so in a few years we are going to need that 7.5% to start resigning the playes we want to keep.

Remove this Banner Ad

Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back