Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Sam Sheldon

Preseason Update

High performance manager Brett Burton rates Sam Sheldon and impressive youngster Tom Rockliff as two of the early stars on the track. After missing most of 2010 through injury, Sheldon has enjoyed a clean run at his 2011 campaign so date.

I like the mobile cross training setup they have established near the old AFLQ offices.

There is a stationary bike station of about 8 or 10 bikes then one player at a time does some boxing drills. Another station consists of work with an exercise ball, working the core.

New fitness coach Brett Burton has Brisbane Lions flying

BRISBANE great Simon Black has hailed the impact new fitness guru Brett Burton has made to help the Lions regain lost respect on the field.

The retired Crows forward knocked back an approach by NRL club Melbourne Storm to link with the Lions and has quickly made his mark at the Gabba, the Lions confident his repeat-effort training focus will pay off.

"He's been fantastic," Brisbane's vice-captain said today. "The game these days is all about repeat speed and Burts has brought that with his training style.

Birdman not winged by Lions injury storm

• Andrew Capel
  • May 27, 2011 11:00PM
Burton - who is living at Coorparoo, "about eight minutes" drive from the Lions' Gabba home ground - could have taken on a fitness assistant's role at Adelaide behind Stephen Schwerdt. But the opportunity to run his program - after eight years of study in sports science - was too good to reject. Burton has signed a two-year deal with Brisbane.

"I'll come home one day because I have a connection with the Adelaide footy club and my family and friend are back there but at the moment I'm enjoying what I'm doing with Brisbane," said Burton, who admitted to "feeling awkward" about plotting his former club's downfall for the first time at AAMI Stadium tomorrow.

burtoni.jpg

Not sure where to post this, but Happy Birthday for yesterday to Lions Life Member and Brisbane match day doorman Leo Coyne.

Had a really great chat to him last night, and he is a true champion of the club:thumbsu:

Glad the boys produced the goods for his 80th:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Link ....

Craig's arrival in Brisbane would almost certainly force Rawlings' departure, while out-of-contract assistant Adrian Fletcher could also depart. Popular ruck coach Beau McDonald's future also remains clouded because of a family illness that may force him to step down.

Hamilton and Rucci - the two worst AFL journalists out there teaming up. My god the ZZZZ team in action.

If true (massive qualifier with those two writers) how many assistants will that be now for Vossy? Entirely too many is the answer.

In all honesty, I think our coaching group has improved a lot over the course of this year. I would be perfectly happy for them to remain as is, but will be happy to see change, provided it improves the group.

The article states that Jade Rawlings is the head assistant, pretty sure it's Adrian Fletcher, Rawlings is in-charge of the back-line, Woey midfield, GOD forward-line and McDonald ruck and structure. Rawlings leaving wouldn't be because Craig would come in, but Fletch being out-of-contract and Craig coming is as mentor/head assistant, he might go. Not sure what Fletchers job actually is at the club besides being head assistant, but on game day, from what I've seen, he hasn't done that match, besides being Voss' shadow.

The article states that Jade Rawlings is the head assistant, pretty sure it's Adrian Fletcher, Rawlings is in-charge of the back-line, Woey midfield, GOD forward-line and McDonald ruck and structure. Rawlings leaving wouldn't be because Craig would come in, but Fletch being out-of-contract and Craig coming is as mentor/head assistant, he might go. Not sure what Fletchers job actually is at the club besides being head assistant, but on game day, from what I've seen, he hasn't done that match, besides being Voss' shadow.

Rawlings is definitely Vossy's 2ic from what I recall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could Charman end up the ruck coach?

When I was down in Launceston the vibe certainly was that he was running that side of things. He even alluded to sometime ago in his Den Diary or somewhere.

If Beau goes I'm sure Charmo will be seriously considered as he's been almost relieving in a way in that position for a bit this year by the sounds.

Why would the arrival of Craig affect Rawlings???

Because if Craig gets appointed his role will encompass a lot of what Rawlings has been doing. Either Rawlings will be demoted down to a general assistant (both in terms of role and pay I would assume) or have to move on. I could imagine Rawlings would easily get another 2ic job elsewhere and thus the latter option would be more attractive.

Beau has done a fantastic job with our rucks. When each of them has gotten an extended run they have bloomed and I think Beau has certainly had a significant part in that. It would be a real shame to lose him.

My thoughts exactly...I will be very sorry to see the big fella go.

Disappointed to see both of them go, I think they were great assets to the club. But sometimes change is the way to go, and I guess it means Craig would be odds on to be a Lion next year now. Keating, McDonald... Charman?

Link ....

The Lions are finalising their two vacant assistant coaching positions after the departures of Jade Rawlings and Beau McDonald. The Lions are expected to announce the two successful applicants by the end of the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back