Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Link to article

Former Hawthorn coach Peter Schwab is understood to have been targeted by the Lions to be the new footy operations boss - a job he knocked back.

Hmm, was just browsing our football operations staff list and saw the following...

Opposition List Analysis - Marcus Allan

Would be safe to to assume it is former player Marcus Allan, son of Gubby.

Not sure what to make of that.

Perhaps more interesting is that that role is listed as part of the Recruitment division, working under Graeme Hadley. Anyone care to fill me in on what an Opposition List Analyst brings to recruitment? I may be paranoid, but the idea of Gubby's son having access to our recruitment department files during the period when Gubby will be launching poaching raids for GWS worries me a little.

Also of note from that staff list is that it appears we have appointed the replacement strength and conditioning coach.

His name is Alex Clarke.

A quick Google search showed that Hawthorn had an Alex Clarke on their books. He has filled the roles of Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach and Rehabilitation Manager.

I assume it is the same guy.

Cyril's ongoing issues spring to mind...

In Emma Quayle's book about the draft, it sounded like Cyril has battled hamstring issues for a long time. May just be a chronic issue that can't be easily fixed.

I think when judging a strength and conditioning coach, you need to look deeper than mere injury totals.

Link to article

THE BRISBANE Lions have appointed long-time AFL employee Dean Warren to the position of General Manager of Football Operations. Warren will begin working with the Lions on November 15.

He has worked for the AFL for the past 22 years and held a number of positions in that time. Most recently, he was the League's National Community and Participation Manager. Warren is a member of the Queensland Australian Football Hall of Fame, having played 170 games in the Queensland state league

Discussion Thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, if you got offered an extra 100k a year as a welfare manager, you'd have to take it.

Lambert gave us many years of good service, hard to begrudge him but for the fact that he was contracted. That irks me.

To be fair, if you got offered an extra 100k a year as a welfare manager, you'd have to take it.

Lambert gave us many years of good service, hard to begrudge him but for the fact that he was contracted. That irks me.

Can't blame him for taking the money, but I do think less of him for his dishonesty.

Can't blame him for taking the money, but I do think less of him for his dishonesty.

Yeah perhaps, but when news broke that the Lions were willing to pay out the second year of his contract to avoid him taking our IP to another club, I had a hunch this was on the cards.

Lambert is very popular with the Lions playing group. That, combined with Gubby and his salary cap concessions makes me worry considerably about GWS and their 2 year signing window.

Yeah perhaps, but when news broke that the Lions were willing to pay out the second year of his contract to avoid him taking our IP to another club, I had a hunch this was on the cards.

Lambert is very popular with the Lions playing group. That, combined with Gubby and his salary cap concessions makes me worry considerably about GWS and their 2 year signing window.

Oh, it was hardly a shock, but disappointing nonetheless.

Shock... horror... :rolleyes:
Indeed Mr R… freddie puts on a pseudo journo hat [and awaits John to get out the baseball bat ;)]

Sources believe discussions may have occurred in Canberra between Sheedy, Lamby and Gubby, although it is unknown if a Ménage à trois meeting on Sunday Feb 14 2010 was anything more than an in principal, gentleman’s handshake agreement...

sheeds.jpg

manuka2010lambygubby.jpg

^^ Two of the afore mentioned three on said Sunday, 14th Feb 2010 – Manuka.

Yeah, I agree with you WBB and I'm really disappointed :thumbsdown: Very poor form to feed us all that crap then take off to join Sheeds and Gubby at GWS.

Completely agree, very poor form and reflects what sort of bloke he was. I have no problem when someone openly and honestly comes out admits why they are leaving. For Lambert, that could have been any one of wanting a new challenge, being part of a foundation club etc etc, but to just blatanly lie reflects the character of the man...similar traits to Mal Michael. Same for Jared Brennan for mine, what was his real reason for leaving? Would have a lot more respect for these guys if they openly admitted I am leaving for the money, too good an opportunity to pass up etc.

Completely agree, very poor form and reflects what sort of bloke he was.

I personally think this is going too far. He was a very much loved person around the club and to make wide spread aspertions on his character based on this one situation is a big leap.

I reckon every player on the Brisbane list would vehemently leap to Lambert's defense if they heard such a comment including a certain big burly CHF who absolutely adores him.

We don't know the full reasons... maybe there was a personality clash with Voss... who knows. Maybe the way he announced he was leaving for family reasons was to spare the club some additional bad publicity as a time when we were getting hammered from all directions.

At the B&F it was plainly obvious how much the players loved him. Every player who made a speech/won an award that night had a Lambert story about how much he had gone above and beyond for all of them at some stage.

We all love the club, but sometimes in the real world someone moving on from the Brisbane Lions isn't the ultimate act of betrayal. He's given a hell of a lot to the club over the duration of his stay, and it would be disappointing to see that forgotten.

We all love the club, but sometimes in the real world someone moving on from the Brisbane Lions isn't the ultimate act of betrayal. He's given a hell of a lot to the club over the duration of his stay, and it would be disappointing to see that forgotten.

Fair call BD, in hindsight my comments were a bit over the top, but either way it looks poor nonetheless, especially to those like us who are literally up to date on every skerrick of information that is reported.

I personally think this is going too far. He was a very much loved person around the club and to make wide spread aspertions on his character based on this one situation is a big leap.

I reckon every player on the Brisbane list would vehemently leap to Lambert's defense if they heard such a comment including a certain big burly CHF who absolutely adores him.

We don't know the full reasons... maybe there was a personality clash with Voss... who knows. Maybe the way he announced he was leaving for family reasons was to spare the club some additional bad publicity as a time when we were getting hammered from all directions.

At the B&F it was plainly obvious how much the players loved him. Every player who made a speech/won an award that night had a Lambert story about how much he had gone above and beyond for all of them at some stage.

:thumbsu: He has been a loyal and long serving servant of our club. He deserves our thanks.

:thumbsu: He has been a loyal and long serving servant of our club. He deserves our thanks.

I don't know how you reacted to Mal Michael's actions, but I know I was pretty pissed. Personally I don't see this all that differently - both leave a bad taste in my mouth, regardless of how good a bloke they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back