Team Mgmt. Footballers and glandular fever

Remove this Banner Ad

But the is it prevalent with unhealthy people or those with lower immune?

These footy kids are supposed to be at the peak of their physical powers health wise
Like anything, some people are more likely to be affected than others. I'm sure fitness helps you fight it but it is only one variable.

Apparently up to 95% of people have had it, but symptoms can range between a sore throat to dehabilitating tiredness.

But the is it prevalent with unhealthy people or those with lower immune?

These footy kids are supposed to be at the peak of their physical powers health wise

I suffered a pretty severe bout of GF at the end of a massive (physically) pre-season training regime in the TAC Cup environment as an 18 year old years ago. Knocked me about, so much so I couldn't swallow any solids or liquid for a number of days and glands the size of golf balls. Ended up spending a 24 hours in hospital on the drip just to get my body hydrated. At the time I was smashing all my personal bests in testings (beep, 2km, agility, repeats etc) was eating clean and generally never felt healthier.

The club physios/medics etc. and also doctors at the hospital told me it is extremely common for young athletes when they are drastically increasing their normal workloads. TAC Cup have high levels of GF through their players, but naturally it only gets reported once the players are relevant and in the AFL system.

I suffered a pretty severe bout of GF at the end of a massive (physically) pre-season training regime in the TAC Cup environment as an 18 year old years ago. Knocked me about, so much so I couldn't swallow any solids or liquid for a number of days and glands the size of golf balls. Ended up spending a 24 hours in hospital on the drip just to get my body hydrated. At the time I was smashing all my personal bests in testings (beep, 2km, agility, repeats etc) was eating clean and generally never felt healthier.

The club physios/medics etc. and also doctors at the hospital told me it is extremely common for young athletes when they are drastically increasing their normal workloads. TAC Cup have high levels of GF through their players, but naturally it only gets reported once the players are relevant and in the AFL system.

Cheers for posting that!

Reckon it's probably a pretty Interesting debate they need to have somewhere in the league physio channels...

Do you think it affected your chances of a lasting career? Seems not many come back from it to be genuine a graders

Cheers for posting that!

Reckon it's probably a pretty Interesting debate they need to have somewhere in the league physio channels...

Do you think it affected your chances of a lasting career? Seems not many come back from it to be genuine a graders

Personally no as I was never going to make the big time, but it certainly stuffed my year up. By the time I made it back at club level I went from being one of the fittest to barely being able to string 10 minutes of non-stop playing time together before having to rest on the bench. The lasting effects of fatigue is real too, can effect your whole life (I was starting year 12, horrible time to fall behind).

Depending on the severity, I have no doubts that AFL club doctors hold these young players back and take it easy on them when returning to health. Nothing suspect when you see a player out for 4-6 months with GF as although the actual symptoms of the illness might have worn off, the follow-on effects can be just as debilitating.

Hoping Heeney has a full recovery and gets back to his best, the signs were so positive for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back