VFL Footscray 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Sweet is a monster at this level, 20 hitouts to advantage is outrageous 😮

Not to downplay him because he is a very good tap ruckman, and 20 hitouts to advantage is still very impressive, but he was going up against Ben Miller who is a 198 CM key defender / backup ruck (with Soldo out and Nank + Ryan in the 1s).

Six disposals for my boy McNeil !!!!!!!
Either he was injured early or his development has stalled big time. Is he being played as a wing?
He seemed to spend a lot of time off the ground. Not sure whether that was due to a minor injury or poor form. He was listed as an emergency for the seniors though. Perhaps he was managed as a break glass extra. My take is I think he may struggle to get senior games this season; he's a bit too outside and doesn't get enough ball to be that small, damaging forward we need.

He seemed to spend a lot of time off the ground. Not sure whether that was due to a minor injury or poor form. He was listed as an emergency for the seniors though. Perhaps he was managed as a break glass extra. My take is I think he may struggle to get senior games this season; he's a bit too outside and doesn't get enough ball to be that small, damaging forward we need.
He was one of our bests against Brisbane last week I thought

Surprised Collingwood got rid of Poulter (surely he ain’t 193cm, though?). Still very much developing and filling out, but has class and a great leg. There’s a lot to like there.

I don’t know anything prior about Goater, but a smart & clean fwd that seemingly plays tall & small.

Late maturer?

Surprised Collingwood got rid of Poulter (surely he ain’t 193cm, though?). Still very much developing and filling out, but has class and a great leg. There’s a lot to like there.

I don’t know anything prior about Goater, but a smart & clean fwd that seemingly plays tall & small.

Late maturer?
Late matuer on Goater, plays a lot of positions and fades in and out of games imo
Would be great to see him put a string of matches together

There's a few boys in our VFL side who, if we were a rebuilding side, I'd love to pick up. Sullivan, Garner and Poulter would all get games at some clubs, but we already have too many battlers on our list. Still hope we grab one of Garner or Poulter in the MSD though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With 25 players on the road this week it's probably a good thing that we have a bye. However they'll still be on the way back for the following Saturday game at noon, so it seems two of our best VFL players will miss the game against the Sharks. Unless the club flies them back on the red eye special after Friday night's game against Freo.

Does anyone know which of the four emergencies did NOT travel with the squad? My guess is Sweet.

With 25 players on the road this week it's probably a good thing that we have a bye. However they'll still be on the way back for the following Saturday game at noon, so it seems two of our best VFL players will miss the game against the Sharks. Unless the club flies them back on the red eye special after Friday night's game against Freo.

Does anyone know which of the four emergencies did NOT travel with the squad? My guess is Sweet.
I would imagine they fly back the Thursday, once selection is done. Gives then Friday to loosen up back here then play Saturday.

I would imagine they fly back the Thursday, once selection is done. Gives then Friday to loosen up back here then play Saturday.
I doubt it. Players get injured in warm up sometimes so you need at least two extras up to the first bounce - the nominated sub/23rd man plus an emergency in case of a mishap during the warmup.

If there’s an early evening flight on Friday they could pack 2 of them off to the airport once the game has started.

I’ve definitely seen McNeil & Buku there, surely McLean sub so you’d think Sweet but in saying that you’d think he’d be one to take considering he’s ruck back up.

Maybe McLeans not locked in as sub as we expect, if any were to benefit from a couple of weeks off playing it’d probably be him.

Save him from the travelling and put a big 2 week block of work into him to try and get him right

I have a silly question which I am hoping someone can answer! I have the VFL add on to my membership but I have no idea on how to access tickets (pretty sure I received a plastic membership card but it said doesn't allow access to matches? plus i can't find it at the moment to confirm) I should have called the club today but was too busy at work!

I have a silly question which I am hoping someone can answer! I have the VFL add on to my membership but I have no idea on how to access tickets (pretty sure I received a plastic membership card but it said doesn't allow access to matches? plus i can't find it at the moment to confirm) I should have called the club today but was too busy at work!
The app on your mobile should have the vfl option on it

James O’Donnell named for his first game.

Joel Garner left out of the side, seems like a strange decision?

Interesting to see O'Donnel named in the forward pocket, I would have thought he would be more defender. But I assume he will be rotated back and forth like Darcy as part of his development.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Footscray 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back