VFL Footscray 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

A shame to finish the season like it did today but an excellent effort from the VFL group to get to where they did after a really tough start to the year when they seemed to be only 3 or 4 AFL listed players available at times.

We had a great run to the finals but were clearly out-played today. Khamis and Garcia were outstanding. A few others tried hard but some who had been good for a very long time were a bit disappointing. Even Sullivan, Sweet and MacPherson found it hard going.
West today reminded me of what I saw a year ago when he couldn't break into the team. Getting caught and not quick enough to match it with faster opponents. OK, it was just one game and a congested one at times but overall, I expected more from him.
Busslinger struggled with the pace, Clarke was OK in cameos but needs to find a yard. Gallagher looked good in patches, needs a long, consistent pre-season.
There are a few that should not be offered contract extentions.
Overall, a very good season for the team but changes need to be made.

If anyone who watched the game has the time or inclination I would appreciate a post summarising the performance of each of the AFL listed players. Some players like West and Crozier seemed to do worse than I expected and others TOB and Gardner did better. ( being unnecessarily sarcastic there)

Can someone who has followed the VFL season closely comment on Jedd Busslinger? The few games I've seen him play this year haven't filled me with massive confidence.

Injuries aside, after 20-odd games in the VFL, I would expect any first-round draftee to have found his niche and be heading into the off-season with enough form to start the conversation about senior team prospects.

In a big game, Jedd looked like he was giving away a lot of athleticism, competitiveness, and positioning. Someone please tell me I'm wrong. We really need this kid to come good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a great run to the finals but were clearly out-played today. Khamis and Garcia were outstanding. A few others tried hard but some who had been good for a very long time were a bit disappointing. Even Sullivan, Sweet and MacPherson found it hard going.
West today reminded me of what I saw a year ago when he couldn't break into the team. Getting caught and not quick enough to match it with faster opponents. OK, it was just one game and a congested one at times but overall, I expected more from him.
Busslinger struggled with the pace, Clarke was OK in cameos but needs to find a yard. Gallagher looked good in patches, needs a long, consistent pre-season.
There are a few that should not be offered contract extentions.
Overall, a very good season for the team but changes need to be made.

Gallagher may well end up being the best of our 2022 crop of draftees. He possesses some breakaway speed, and does some creative things with the ball. Today was a small, exciting glimpse of what he could become.

Notice how many similar size players on list.McComb,Sullvan,Garcia,McPherson,McLean,Craig Peter's and probably more.
None can kick well apart from McLean.
Although Gallagher seems to be the exception. And is exciting and not one dimensional.l would also rookie McPherson as he has something we lack.Mongrel.
But we get out marked.Need taller players like Ling Jong types.
Recruiting needs to be more diverse.
I remember we used to recruit players who could kick back in the Eade era.

Kamis and Cleary stood out for me today. They should have gotten a lot more games in the seniors. Cleary to replace Doc, and Kamis into the forward line with Naughton going back.

Clarke hasn't had more than 10 possessions much this year worried about his pace to and Buslinger pushed aside to easy turns it over a lot, hopefully they can show improvement.

Its a little concerning that there isn't a lot of polish just waiting its opportunity at Footscray.

Gallagher not a high volume possession winner but is probably the stand out in this regard. Looks a neat player, good skills and reads the play well. But his role looks a little undefined. Not sure where his spot is, perhaps as a running half back or wing.

Cleary is probably next skill wise. He's pretty sound with ball in hand and understands how to find and use space. Im just a little concerned about his size and physicality.

Garcia was good, and was responsible for pulling the side back into game a couple of times as he worked his guts out, but jeez his kicking is very, very flawed.

Sweet dominated as expected. It'll be interesting watching over the coming days how much interest he gets, where he lands and how he goes when he gets there. I still dont think his game will translate, but we'll see...

Khamis was very good and of course has a pretty good skill set. You just have to wonder where he fits into a side with Naughton, JUH, Lobb and Darcy waiting in the wings. One would hope that with a more settled forward structure at Footscray next year that he would be sent back to answer the question of his role in the side once and for all. However that probably depends on where the club seesDarcy and Croft fitting in.

Darcy showed glimpses, looked like a guy who hasn't played much for about 6 weeks.

West. Looked like a guy who would rather be drinking a can of coke and sharing a joke with his mates on the hill. Looked checked out and disinterested, when it was a game that he should've slapped the salami on the table and saying look at me boys.

Busslinger, as a defender of his, it pains me to say this but he's getting shifted to the players of concern list. A big preseason for him.

Gardner just looks shaky as hell when he has the ball in hand. 3 years I hear you say.

O'Brien I prefer him over Gardner.

McComb tries hard, but he just lacks peripheral vision and skills. That was very evident today.

Crozier, still good enough to remain on the list as depth. Probably won't want that and probably won't be offered it.

Poulter still a bit one sided.

Clarke didn't get a lot of it, not sure he has the pace or tricks to cut it as a small forward at the next level.

Busslinger has slowly improved all year. He was poor today though. Give him a preaseason and he should improve his strength. Speed and agility is a real worry though.

I have been critical of Clarke’s fitness - which isn’t his fault given he had a interupted preseason. He needs to build his tank and strength significantly. From what I have seen he looks a lot more like Gryan Meyer’s type rather than Tom Papley. He seems to be a creative link up player. You don’t need to be super quick for this role. I hope the coaches put it on him about his tank because this is a area of need, he will get a game if he has a big pre-season.

Gallagher should’ve got a taste this year. I hope he lines up on a wing round 1 next year. One thing that’s hard to tell watching vfl without being there is

Its a little concerning that there isn't a lot of polish just waiting its opportunity at Footscray.

Gallagher not a high volume possession winner but is probably the stand out in this regard. Looks a neat player, good skills and reads the play well. But his role looks a little undefined. Not sure where his spot is, perhaps as a running half back or wing.

Cleary is probably next skill wise. He's pretty sound with ball in hand and understands how to find and use space. Im just a little concerned about his size and physicality.

Garcia was good, and was responsible for pulling the side back into game a couple of times as he worked his guts out, but jeez his kicking is very, very flawed.

Sweet dominated as expected. It'll be interesting watching over the coming days how much interest he gets, where he lands and how he goes when he gets there. I still dont think his game will translate, but we'll see...

Khamis was very good and of course has a pretty good skill set. You just have to wonder where he fits into a side with Naughton, JUH, Lobb and Darcy waiting in the wings. One would hope that with a more settled forward structure at Footscray next year that he would be sent back to answer the question of his role in the side once and for all. However that probably depends on where the club seesDarcy and Croft fitting in.

Darcy showed glimpses, looked like a guy who hasn't played much for about 6 weeks.

West. Looked like a guy who would rather be drinking a can of coke and sharing a joke with his mates on the hill. Looked checked out and disinterested, when it was a game that he should've slapped the salami on the table and saying look at me boys.

Busslinger, as a defender of his, it pains me to say this but he's getting shifted to the players of concern list. A big preseason for him.

Gardner just looks shaky as hell when he has the ball in hand. 3 years I hear you say.

O'Brien I prefer him over Gardner.

McComb tries hard, but he just lacks peripheral vision and skills. That was very evident today.

Crozier, still good enough to remain on the list as depth. Probably won't want that and probably won't be offered it.

Poulter still a bit one sided.

Clarke didn't get a lot of it, not sure he has the pace or tricks to cut it as a small forward at the next level.
Good analysis.
What do you think of trying Naughton as a KPD? (opens up a slot for another marking forward such as Karmis)

Khamis pushed his value up from a 4th rounder to a 3rd today.

Unfortunately I don't think he has a future with us. Any other decade he would be a walk up start in our forward line. But now that we have been kissed on the dick with key forwards, he misses out.
Maybe if he had Schache's tank we could use him as a roaming link up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Footscray 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back