VANDA

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 31, 2004
Kizmiaz
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
BOMBERS & Newton Heath!
Have just endured the first episode of this supposed football show & needless to say am completely underwhelmed. Why i hear u ask?

1) 0% of the time is spent talking about the game of football played ON THE FIELD

2) The makeup of the panel is deliberately inflammatory in an attempt to manufacture 'controversy' - unfortunately it remains far from convincing.

3) Gary - supposed host - is the 'limpest' person in football media - pretending to be 'balanced' but suffering to many splinters for anyone's good particularly his own. Still yearning for the credibility that will equate with his profile & pay-packet.

4) Caro - supposed hard hitter from The Age - will give her credit for having perhaps the most 'credibility' on the show - an experienced journo who knows her stuff - BUT - she should leave the politics of football to her written pieces not inundate the show with mindless minutia of every AFL decision that she is apparently 'privy to'. Boring. Yawn.

5) Grant Thomas - potential for some interest this year but suffers the reputation of a 'loudmouth dial-a-quote' whose own failings as a coach have turned him into a bitter commentator interested in only one thing - his own self interest.

6) Hutchy - supposed newsbreaker (lol) - is by far & away the most unconvincing media person in football - his lust for controversy & continuing innacurrate story-spinning is just oh so painful. He longs for acceptance into the football mediaworld as a credible 'journo' - unfortunately his try-hard approach leaves most viewers reaching for the nearest bucket. His 'good head for radio' & irritating manufactured desire for being sensationalist is just embarrassing for himself & dare i say his fellow panellists. Drop the facade Hutchy you are a joke in the eyes of the football world.

To the programmers of Channel 9 my advice is to have a footaball show that talks about ON THE FIELD happenings - clearly this has not been the realm of The Footy Show or Footy Classifieds - when you do you may just find more people including me tuning in - but for now i will gladly be getting an extra hours sleep of a Monday nite - rather than sit up to watch a show that is so overly contrived & lacking in 'watchability' . :thumbsdown:

Footy Classified is about off-field issues; everything regarding footy except what matters most. Never been any different and some people like that.

Before the Bounce on Foxtel and Ten's new ONEHD sports show with Walls (cringe) focus on the "on-field" issues in footy. Seven might be planning a new show too?

Footy Classified is about off-field issues; everything regarding footy except what matters most. Never been any different and some people like that.

Therein lies the problem..........Channel 9 has never promoted it as a purely 'off-filed issues' program - it is supposed to encapsulate that yes but not at the expense of the on-field happenings i would have thought.

Programs like On The Couch & the sunday footy panel on 7 are really the only ones that give considered discussion to THE GAMES being played.

channel 9 is so far up its own backside in attempting to manufacture headlines that it has forgotten what is most important to viewers & supporters........THE ON-FIELD GAME!

Yeah completely agree. Why the **** would I want to watch a show about 2 media hanger-ons aguing about football stories. Especially when the stories they argue about are completely manufactured by the two media people themselves. If you are going to make a show out of those two arguing, at least make it about real football stories, not ones Caro dreamed up to justify her newspaper spot.

Agree with most of the OP. This is the first time I've watched FC (lived in Canberra last year and they didn't show it) and I was underwhelmed.

I did like Grant Thomas though. The times that Hutchy or Caro were trying to bait him, he just calmly put them back in their box.

The only problem is that it started a week early.

Hard to discuss on field issues when the season is yet to commence.

We have just had a pre-season competition played...........why not discuss which teams looked good/bad, what players we can look forward to watching etc etc.....................this is what supporters are MOST interested in.

Rather we were dished up inane stories like the one where some 'work-experience journalist' approached Nathan Buckley coming out of a meeting at Princes Park with his angle of questioning suggesting/hoping he may be there to begin his coaching career. Utter twaddle.

We have just had a pre-season competition played...........why not discuss which teams looked good/bad, what players we can look forward to watching etc etc.....................this is what supporters are MOST interested in.

Rather we were dished up inane stories like the one where some 'work-experience journalist' approached Nathan Buckley coming out of a meeting at Princes Park with his angle of questioning suggesting/hoping he may be there to begin his coaching career. Utter twaddle.

The NAB cup is largely irrelevant considering only a handful of clubs actually take it seriously, there is very little point in analysing it.

I'll be reserving my judgment on the show until the real action begins.

The NAB cup is largely irrelevant considering only a handful of clubs actually take it seriously, there is very little point in analysing it.

I agree with you that many clubs do not seek to win the NAB Cup but they all still have their regular players & new draftees participate & in my opinion this is what supporters want to hear about.

Fair enough to reserve your judgement but i'll be amazed to hear that it has become a relevant discussion of the game of football.

They did and GT said it was just a Joke

I did like Grant Thomas though. The times that Hutchy or Caro were trying to bait him, he just calmly put them back in their box.

Good god, anyone would be better than Glenn "deer caught in headlights" Archer.

Unless he could relate a topic to the Kangaroos he'd have nothing to say. There were whole episodes where he barely said a word.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

richard_reid223x148.jpg

They should add Richard Reid to the panel from Channel 9's Today show.
He would probably make more sense than the rest of them and dig up far better dirt.

A few years ago, Garry Lyon was next big thing in the football media.
But with Footy Classified he has committed professional suicide

I dont think you have what the show is about.

There are plenty of other shows discussing the games and the players, this one I think is to look more at the behind the scenes stuff. Not so much the players, but the stories behind decisions, the backroom manouverings etc etc.

If that stuff is not your cup of tea VVANDA, because it may be a bit too cerebral for you;), then you should watch your reruns of Desperate Housewives.

Footy Classified isn't about the on field issues or the off field issues. It's about fake, scripted arguments between the panelists to create 'controversy'.

It's kind of like The O'Reilly Factor. You hear yelling and attempts at being 'controversial' but at the end of it you haven't gained anything.

That was a pathetic door-stop from that journalist. An absolute embarrassment that could have been avoided if a bit of research had been done.

Who really gives a crap about off field issues about presidents and the boards anyway? And pretty much the whole show is just Caroline Wilson interrupting Gary Lyon every 5 seconds...I'd rather just watch Gary lyon & Grant Thomas talk about footy, piss the other 2 fools off and get some people who know what they're talkin about!

Hutchy just can't accept that he wasn't good enough to call games on 3AW or write for The Age (the no1 footy paper in town). He spends alll his time trying to drag down a successful footy journo (Caroline Wilson, who regardless of our opionions of her is still a powerful figure in AFL circles).

In the end he's just the jealous kid in the playground who wants what others have but isn't good enough to get it. He's stuck with the crappy Sports gossip column in the Herald Sun and supposedly "breaking the big stories" on the footy show.

To the programmers of Channel 9 my advice is to have a footaball show that talks about ON THE FIELD happenings - clearly this has not been the realm of The Footy Show or Footy Classifieds

So little happens ON the field these days, that's why they have these shows, to try and manufacture some sort of interest in the game.

We didn't need these shows in the 70s because the game spoke for itself. We never needed a bunch of journalists telling us what we should think.

I dont think you have what the show is about.

There are plenty of other shows discussing the games and the players, this one I think is to look more at the behind the scenes stuff. Not so much the players, but the stories behind decisions, the backroom manouverings etc etc.

If that stuff is not your cup of tea VVANDA, because it may be a bit too cerebral for you;), then you should watch your reruns of Desperate Housewives.

hehehe.......good old Fu.......fouling up another thread ;)

...............a bit too 'cerebral' for a Magpie feral like your good self.

My point Fu..........if you were unable to grasp it...........& as echoed by the sentiments of other posters in this thread thus far...........is that more supporters are interested in the on-field happenings than they are the off-field 'manouverings'. Whilst it may be a difficult concept for your tiny mind to digest............stick with it son.........am sure the penny will drop for you soon.

Oh & btw..........mmmmmmm...............Desperate Housewives. :)

Footy Classified........ Or the Caro Hour?....

Fair dinkum.... she interupts, talks over, hijacks and butts in on every conversation happening. I personally can't believe that not one of the blokes on that show told that pig in make up to shut her pie hole and wait her turn, she is a deadset disgrace. I agree she sometimes has a valid opinion, but FFS woman wait your turn to talk and stop butting in......

I can't believe that any of you would've expected anything else but CRAP on Channel 9.

Footy Classified........ Or the Caro Hour?....

Fair dinkum.... she interupts, talks over, hijacks and butts in on every conversation happening. I personally can't believe that not one of the blokes on that show told that pig in make up to shut her pie hole and wait her turn, she is a deadset disgrace. I agree she sometimes has a valid opinion, but FFS woman wait your turn to talk and stop butting in......

Hear Hear!!:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Classified = Utter Pigswill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back