Footy Personalities: Forced Upon Us

Remove this Banner Ad

I note with interest that the latest radio survey ratings are in, and they don't paint a pretty picture for SEN, and specifically, the much publicized return of Garry Lyon to broadcasting in their morning team.

I'm sure you can find a news service of your choice to give you the figures (SEN share dropped from 3.8 to 2.5) - but it got me thinking about the complete inability of the fourth estate to realise that what they say is a valid opinion, doesn't make it a valid opinion.

Specifically in this case, that of Garry Lyon.

I'm not really interested in the drama that caused his sabbatical in the first place, but his return was heralded as some sort of massive homecoming for one of the best voices in football.

Hang on - when did that happen? At what point did Garry Lyon become some sort of ultimate football authority? His crowning achievement post a decent (if not great) playing career is hosting a show more about buffoonery and entertainment than footy.

And yet we're told by the greater rumblings of the industry that this is a voice to be listened to.

The problem as I see it though, is that your serious football fans tend to reject those that don't really deserve such accolades.

When Matthew Lloyd talks about a forwards craft, leading, goal kicking technique - I listen.

When Brian Lake talks about the subtleties of team defense, playing in front of an opponent - I listen.

When a man who never seemed to have the proverbial stones to coach himself attempts to analyse the errors made by actual coaches, well...

So my question I suppose is, why does the industry insist on pushing people who clearly don't have the support of the wider football public?

Craig Hutchison is one of the most thoroughly dislikable people in football, and yet is hosting The Footy Show.

Hamish McLachlan is, well Rompingwins.

Is it just a lack of talent in broadcasting today? Or are media outlets convinced they can simply push what they like under our noses?
I stopped reading when you stated you listen to Brian lakes commentary

I've never understood the hate for Gerard Healey and Dwayne Russell. They are both intelligent (compared to the vast majority of other football personalities), both unbiased (compared to the vast majority of other football personalities) and both good at their job. Dwayno's been calling the NBL games and doesn't miss a beat. They don't deserve the hate in my opinion.

Craig Hutchinson AKA "Jabba the Hut" on the other hand, is a joke. I've said it before, whomever was the first to decide to put him in front of a camera is an absolute idiot.

I have loved listening to SEN but the Garry Lyin appointment has really disappointed me. I really cannot stand him and hate the fact that some of the Footy Show cancer has spread to SEN.
Give me an Andy Maher anyday.
Hutchy is the captain of a sinking ship which will hopefully just disappear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wayne Carey is the face of the boys club.

Awful commentator and drag queen tv make up, awkward silences from other hosts after his gags, you know what he's going to say as soon as he starts talking and he takes an eternity to actually say it, has an extensive shame file but still sits front and centre in a media gig. Made me cringe seeing him smiling away with a white ribbon pinned to his chest during a broadcast.

Not to mention his terrible, grade 3 standard newspaper column.

Sheesh.

I disliked Garry Lyon way before it was cool.
Me too. In fact I totally agree with the OP's summation of him:

At what point did Garry Lyon become some sort of ultimate football authority? His crowning achievement post a decent (if not great) playing career is hosting a show more about buffoonery and entertainment than footy.

And yet we're told by the greater rumblings of the industry that this is a voice to be listened to.

The problem as I see it though, is that your serious football fans tend to reject those that don't really deserve such accolades.

When a man who never seemed to have the proverbial stones to coach himself attempts to analyse the errors made by actual coaches, well...

But would also like to add that as well as not having the balls to coach himself he was heavily involved of the appointment of 2 of the most diabolical coaching appointments I've ever seen with Dean Bailey and Mark Neeld (although in hindsight and fairness maybe Bailey wasn't as bad as some would want us to think).

I've never understood the hate for Gerard Healey and Dwayne Russell. They are both intelligent (compared to the vast majority of other football personalities), both unbiased (compared to the vast majority of other football personalities) and both good at their job. Dwayno's been calling the NBL games and doesn't miss a beat. They don't deserve the hate in my opinion.

Craig Hutchinson AKA "Jabba the Hut" on the other hand, is a joke. I've said it before, whomever was the first to decide to put him in front of a camera is an absolute idiot.
Good to hear a different opinion.

Dwayne is painful someof the time but agree that he's unbiased and at least he does his best to ramp up the excitement. (He often has to commentate horrible games because they don't give him the prime time gigs).

The problem is Crocmedia, They basically run the footy media landscape and its a massive boys club. Honestly one of the most insightful people I listen to is Cameron Ling but he doesn't really have a larger media presence, whether that's due to him not wanting to be prominent or his 'look' I don't know but people like that need to have more of a presence imo.

Also Dermie needs to stop being a condescending prick when he talks about anything footy related.

Wait. Derm talks about footy? When?

Normally he rambles on about crap which is completely unrelated to the game.

I do really like Ling though. Always gives sensible opinions on the game and never comes across as a douche.

I note with interest that the latest radio survey ratings are in, and they don't paint a pretty picture for SEN, and specifically, the much publicized return of Garry Lyon to broadcasting in their morning team.

I'm sure you can find a news service of your choice to give you the figures (SEN share dropped from 3.8 to 2.5) - but it got me thinking about the complete inability of the fourth estate to realise that what they say is a valid opinion, doesn't make it a valid opinion.

Specifically in this case, that of Garry Lyon.

I'm not really interested in the drama that caused his sabbatical in the first place, but his return was heralded as some sort of massive homecoming for one of the best voices in football.

Hang on - when did that happen? At what point did Garry Lyon become some sort of ultimate football authority? His crowning achievement post a decent (if not great) playing career is hosting a show more about buffoonery and entertainment than footy.

When Matthew Lloyd talks about a forwards craft, leading, goal kicking technique - I listen.

When Brian Lake talks about the subtleties of team defense, playing in front of an opponent - I listen.

So my question I suppose is, why does the industry insist on pushing people who clearly don't have the support of the wider football public?

Craig Hutchison is one of the most thoroughly dislikable people in football, and yet is hosting The Footy Show.

Hamish McLachlan is, well Rompingwins.

Is it just a lack of talent in broadcasting today? Or are media outlets convinced they can simply push what they like under our noses?
Mate that is a great post

The ones who actually watch the games don't bother me, even if their opinions are crap.

You can tell that so many don't even watch every game. I'm sorry, but if you aren't watching 9 games a week, gtfo! It's haardly deep seam mining.

Yeah I don't mind disagreeing with a commentator if they are enthusiastic about the game. There are come commentators and industry hangers on (looking at you Caro) who genuinely have no love for the game - and it really shows.

To be fair, I'm not having a crack at Lyon. I don't have any real dislike for his work - but he's a fairly average analyst and a fairly average commentator - it's this 'push' by the industry to try and make me think he's some sort of great authority - he's not.

I stopped reading when you stated you listen to Brian lakes commentary

Serious? Not saying he's a great, or even good commentator. What I am saying is the bloke is a phenomenal defender, and if he wants to talk about that I'd certainly listen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Personalities: Forced Upon Us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back