Footy Personalities: Forced Upon Us

Remove this Banner Ad

The old boys network in footy causes a lot of irrational decision making. People sticking by mates in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. It's a mystery.
As we have seen with the Essendon saga

It was really only those outside the bubble who took a stance on it. The rest were essentially apologists

Interesting that on radio, most callers do a great job because they call the game. Whereas on telly we are subjected to everyone's opinion on why this or that is doing one thing or the other while the game is in progress.
Why do we need so many commentators on the telly anyway?
Have said it before but the interviews with players and coaches walking off the ground or to their huddles are so pathetic and a waste of oxygen. What is the benefit of asking stupid rhetorical questions at EVERY break in EVERY game. Also had enough of player interviews from the winning team post game say "credit to them" (the opposition). Seriously? What a crock.

Such as? My eyes and ears work just fine. During a game, I'm not really interested in what some long retired ex-player thinks might be going on, I just want someone to call it simply and clearly. All the analysis etc I'm happy to sit and digest from a program sometime post game.
That's my point. When Tony Shaw provides special comments what are we as viewers getting out of it?

There is nothing new. Same old special comments each year, with maybe a newly retired star given a go every now and then.

Two blokes on SEN, two so called club power brokers who couldn't pick a coach to save themselves. Lyon had two cracks at it, failed miserably. Tim Watson, or The Architect as I like to call him did more backroom dealing in shafting M.Knights and getting his boy hird in than anyone and also failed miserably .
But yes, some sort of football gurus . They both annoy by trying to pick the latest young guns coming through. Lyons fawning over Judd just one example. Blind Freddie could see how good Judd was, but oh no, Lyon knew before anyone. So annoying.

Campbell Brown!
Someone please save me.
He was a relatively good player (not a great one), but given that a huge number of AFL players have had better careers and were better players...why is he festooned upon us?
He was on that failure of a show "The Verdict". He tried to swim the English Channel (but failed). He somehow was the Kabbadi (sport from India) captain of Australia in the last Kabbadi World Cup - we were rubbish at it. He's on betting ads. During the Melbourne Cup carnival he turns up and gets interviewed.
Ahhh, can he just go away. Go get a job Campbell - sell shoes, open a cafe...anything! Just stay out of the media please.

One name, one person started the AFL boys club in 1994. AFL has not been the same since. Eddie McChins. The rest fade into insignificance.
Absolutely spot ****ing on. The greatest sycophant Australia has produced

What I have no time for in the media, and avoid it like the plague, are panels of people sitting around BEFORE the game trying to pretend they know what's going to happen. It goes on for hours and is ever so boring and pointless. They've already played out the game in their minds, so why bother having the match at all?

All we need before a match is any injury news or updates to selection, then get straight into the game.

During the finals series of 2013-14 Gerard did not once predict a Hawthorn win in any of the preceding finals or GF's in each premiership year. He was zero from 6 finals, and followed up with a similar strike rate in 2015.

So he's either dumb or biased, I'm not sure which.

I used to enjoy Gerard

I don't know if he's changed or I've changed

Now I can't stand him

I won't watch games if he's doing special comments

Dwayne, I don't mind. Don't get the hate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I note with interest that the latest radio survey ratings are in, and they don't paint a pretty picture for SEN, and specifically, the much publicized return of Garry Lyon to broadcasting in their morning team.

I'm sure you can find a news service of your choice to give you the figures (SEN share dropped from 3.8 to 2.5) - but it got me thinking about the complete inability of the fourth estate to realise that what they say is a valid opinion, doesn't make it a valid opinion.

Specifically in this case, that of Garry Lyon.

I'm not really interested in the drama that caused his sabbatical in the first place, but his return was heralded as some sort of massive homecoming for one of the best voices in football.

Hang on - when did that happen? At what point did Garry Lyon become some sort of ultimate football authority? His crowning achievement post a decent (if not great) playing career is hosting a show more about buffoonery and entertainment than footy.

And yet we're told by the greater rumblings of the industry that this is a voice to be listened to.

The problem as I see it though, is that your serious football fans tend to reject those that don't really deserve such accolades.

When Matthew Lloyd talks about a forwards craft, leading, goal kicking technique - I listen.

When Brian Lake talks about the subtleties of team defense, playing in front of an opponent - I listen.

When a man who never seemed to have the proverbial stones to coach himself attempts to analyse the errors made by actual coaches, well...

So my question I suppose is, why does the industry insist on pushing people who clearly don't have the support of the wider football public?

Craig Hutchison is one of the most thoroughly dislikable people in football, and yet is hosting The Footy Show.

Hamish McLachlan is, well Rompingwins.

Is it just a lack of talent in broadcasting today? Or are media outlets convinced they can simply push what they like under our noses?

The old boys network with a shared love of cash money, whores and pharmaceuticals.

I've never understood the hate for Gerard Healey and Dwayne Russell. They are both intelligent (compared to the vast majority of other football personalities), both unbiased (compared to the vast majority of other football personalities) and both good at their job. Dwayno's been calling the NBL games and doesn't miss a beat. They don't deserve the hate in my opinion.

Craig Hutchinson AKA "Jabba the Hut" on the other hand, is a joke. I've said it before, whomever was the first to decide to put him in front of a camera is an absolute idiot.

Correct on all three counts

If you can correctly categorise Basil Zempilas and "Broken Glass" Carey then you can play for the showcase

Also, it completely baffles me regarding King. When did he win the title of most brilliant analytical brain when it comes to the sport. Was there a MENSA meeting about it? Is he a member of the Crocmedia Freemasons?

He's that bloke that was just smart enough to realise no one else was paying much attention to the new wave of stats that were available. Babbles about them endlessly and the other chimps proclaim he's a genius.

Last edited:
One of the best reasons to enjoy Collingwood's struggles under Buckley (pulling your legs here Pies supporters), is that it ought to mean the return of Buckley to the commentary box

My favourite special comments man, with daylight second

The glory years of a more restrained Bruce, Dennis, Matthews in his prime and Buckley nailing the tactical and football skill analysis on a Friday night coinciding with the Saints run in 2009 made football the best

I get that it's fun to heap shit on everyone we don't like (see: forums generally), but who on the periphery of footy media do you like and think deserves a bigger spotlight?

Who do you want to see elevated to hosting/commentating on TV?

Give me Charlie King

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During the finals series of 2013-14 Gerard did not once predict a Hawthorn win in any of the preceding finals or GF's in each premiership year. He was zero from 6 finals, and followed up with a similar strike rate in 2015.

So he's either dumb or biased, I'm not sure which.

Out of our 3peat seasons he only tipped us to beat Adelaide in 2015.

And to answer your question - he's both.

He copped a royal tongue-whipping after 2015 on his way out of the G after the match. His wife had to defend him.

One of the best reasons to enjoy Collingwood's struggles under Buckley (pulling your legs here Pies supporters), is that it ought to mean the return of Buckley to the commentary box

My favourite special comments man, with daylight second

The glory years of a more restrained Bruce, Dennis, Matthews in his prime and Buckley nailing the tactical and football skill analysis on a Friday night coinciding with the Saints run in 2009 made football the best

Buckley is better served in the commentary box definitely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Personalities: Forced Upon Us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back