For Lindsay's own good....

Remove this Banner Ad

send him home for a few weeks, back to his family in sa, re-connect with his people and just relax, forget about footy.

I was thinking the same Scottroo when reading all the posts......Yes I've defended him to the hilt this season but its time for a spell. Send him barra fishing up the top end for a week. Anything away from footy. I might add the "the monster from Collingwood" had the yips not so long ago.....and he was their number 1 focus. He worked through it and LT has to do the same. Hard work and perseverence plain and simple.

If it is true and he was in tears at 3/4 time then thats just about it for him.

What happens if he goes into the 2's and does the same thing there? Does he then think he can't play AFL?

He obviously has a football mental issue and a fair percentage of football is mental.

I say rest him for a week. No games just relax and come out for the blues. He should have some confidence playing with them he killed them last year.

I know where you're coming from H2H but if you're going to drop him it'll be that one.

Seriously, it shouldn't have gotten to the stage that he's basically falling apart in the middle of the MCG. He should've been dropped weeks ago. Sh*t like this is contagious within the playing group.

If you can't handle the heat ...

For those of you who think that my comments may sound harsh, ask yourselves in what other profession or occupation does someone who is clearly not up to the task get carried for so long. Certainly not the one that I'm in.

So you're saying that the substandard games from 90% of the team is LT's fault?? Mate yes its time for a tap on the shoulder for LT but **** me we had no on field leadership out there today none what so ever. Not One player apart from Goldstein can hold his head high today.

In my opinion he should be moved up the ground, on to a wing where he can be told to use his pace to create and make the play. Give him a free reign and let him off the leash from the responsibility of being a goal kicker.

Nothing is better for the spirit than to get hold of the pill and do something with it and then do the same again and again.

Conversely as a forward if you are not getting the ball too often and then when you do you can't convert shots into goals, all confidence disappears in your ability to play the game.

I don't think that dropping him is the answer. I think the answer is to take away the current pressure, which is to kick goals.

I really hope he can turn this around. No doubt it is all in his head. In his current state I really feel and fear for him.

bugger me, whats with this crap from many posters here about playing LT in the middle or in defence or simply keeping him in the side because "he's trying his arse off"
the biggest lot of complete crap I have read here since joining.

LT is a forward and a very average one at that
ask yourself honestly, if not playing for us who would he get a game with?

should have been dropped weeks ago, o'k so we have no one to bring in, ****ing milky offers way more than this staging hack, at least Adrian McAdam gave us one awesome season

This crying shit:mad:, **** me he does not deserve a place on our list crying during a game, for gods sake, imagine what Arch,Stevo or Schimma would have throught????????

drop him and unless he can produce at biblical proportions he stays in the magoos until seasons end.

pathetic excuses nothing more.:mad:

Just watching vision of LT on After the Bounce and just from past games... he's actually hooking his kick, rather than his leg swinging straight hes swinging his leg round like you would with a rugby drop kick.

I personally used to kick this way playing in the backyard/school footy etc and its a pretty reliable kick if done right (body turned away from straight on) (although not ideal) the problem is hes lining up as if hes going to kick it with a traditional kicking motion (i.e straight ahead) this means hes hooking them 45 degrees+ to the right.

Theres a guy that kicks this way (effectively) playing for freo or GC i think, and also Daniel Rich sort of does it when kicking from 50.

Just my 2c worth, observations nothing else.

So you're saying that the substandard games from 90% of the team is LT's fault?? Mate yes its time for a tap on the shoulder for LT but **** me we had no on field leadership out there today none what so ever. Not One player apart from Goldstein can hold his head high today.

No, I'm not actually. We were rubbish today, but LT's antics transcend that. P*ss-weak, teary prima donnas in the three quarter time huddle aren't doing anyone any good. Save that crap for Auskick.

Can't believe that people are on here defending this guy and offering their condolences because he put on the waterworks as he obviously came to the crushing realisation that he is currently in no fit mental state to play AFL football. Clubs wouldn't spend sh*tloads of time and money on psychometric testing, pre-draft interviews, screenings etc if they didn't put a high value on mental toughness. Something that LT is currently lacking.

Gee I had great fears opening this thread that we would see Big Footy degenerate into Facebook standard childishness. Thank **** we are above that. Well, most of us. A member of the North Melbourne family is clearly battling some demons and like a true family, it is reassuring to see so many people expressing concern and support.

As others have suggested, I hope Lindsay is given time away from football and that family and friends can get around him and remind him that there is more to life than kicking inflated animal skin through big sticks. It's just a game after all.

Seriously, it shouldn't have gotten to the stage that he's basically falling apart in the middle of the MCG. He should've been dropped weeks ago. Sh*t like this is contagious within the playing group.

If you can't handle the heat ...

For those of you who think that my comments may sound harsh, ask yourselves in what other profession or occupation does someone who is clearly not up to the task get carried for so long. Certainly not the one that I'm in.

What other occupations have people going onto the internet and calling for you to be fired?

Gee I had great fears opening this thread that we would see Big Footy degenerate into Facebook standard childishness. Thank **** we are above that. Well, most of us. A member of the North Melbourne family is clearly battling some demons and like a true family, it is reassuring to see so many people expressing concern and support.

As others have suggested, I hope Lindsay is given time away from football and that family and friends can get around him and remind him that there is more to life than kicking inflated animal skin through big sticks. It's just a game after all.

This :thumbsu:
End thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just a game after all.

So why is he crying then? Why can't he kick a ball straight 10 metres? As paid up members, we have every right to voice an opinion and if that means being critical of a player who has consistantly let us down for nearly three years with his inept tackling, chasing and kicking then so be it. Even when he has kicked two bags last year he kicked a bag od points too.

So he has a little cry did he? Grow some balls you woose, after all it's just a game, right?.

The club has mismanaged him.
Its obvious noone in the team, the coaching staff or the club has been able to help him through this.
Where its gone wrong has got me stumped but gee LTs in a bad way at the moment.
The fact he didnt want to go to the huddle at 3 quarter time, and after the game the coaching staff were trying to get him to stretch when his head was in his hands. The room was described the same as after a grand final loss.
And then when BON called everyone in to the team meeting Lindsay had to be dragged by teammates in so he could listen.
Sad sad day for the club in general.

Its obvious noone in the team, the coaching staff or the club has been able to help him through this.
Where its gone wrong has got me stumped but gee LTs in a bad way at the moment.
The fact he didnt want to go to the huddle at 3 quarter time, and after the game the coaching staff were trying to get him to stretch when his head was in his hands. The room was described the same as after a grand final loss.
And then when BON called everyone in to the team meeting Lindsay had to be dragged by teammates in so he could listen.
Sad sad day for the club in general.

Yes it's sad but unfortunately we need players in the team that are made of sterner stuff. If true what you say that is just pathetic.

This may be really serious. I mentioned in another thread that was locked that I've had some contact with Linday's family and friends over at Mallee Park, and seeing them and how proud they are and how supportive they are of him has given me a little soft spot.

Has he ever shown signs of homesickness before? I hope the club really looks after him because it's so easy for a young man to go off the rails. It's happened so many times, particularly with young indigenous men who have played footy and suddenly had it taken from them.

I was a journo at the paper over there and at the time was covering a story about two young indigenous men who had broken out of jail and stolen a car. One of those young men was a footballer with a fairly well-known name in AFL circles. Turns out he had been through a lot of trouble after having his shot at AFL taken away. Would hate for Lindsay Thomas to turn into someone like that, or even someone like Ashley Sampi.

Really worried for LT's mental state. I just hope that the club is giving him as much off-field support as possible.

Can't say I'd agree with that tazza.

The one point that may hold some weight is that LT should have gotten a rest earlier in the season. Nobody would argue with that, but just to provide some balance to that view, it's fair to say that the coaching staff have done everything in their power to get a bloke up with clear mental issues on the field.

For starters they have shown great faith in his ability, kept him in his preferred position and given him every opportunity to turn it around. He was clearly given indicators to meet in his performance (in regards to tackling, endeavour, etc) and while he was meeting those they backed him in.

At some point in time though the player has to take some responsibility for their own performance.

Really worried for LT's mental state. I just hope that the club is giving him as much off-field support as possible.

Based purely on this arvo's press conference with Brad Scott, it appears they've been well aware of whatever it is going on with him, and it's definitely above his shoulders. I can only presume that the club, in knowing whatever it is for so long, has been doing all it can to assist him. Unfortunately we only see him exposed on the footy field and it's like witnessing a car crash at times lately.

Some of the crap posted here is way over the top, as per usual.

Yeah, I hope posters that can't find some empathy, can at least excercise some restraint from sticking the boots into one of our own who is doing it tough ATM.

Fricken oath, Davo. Our club has had 2 high profile instances of depression and another serious mental health issue, and we haven't always covered ourselves in glory in the ways these have been handled. Wondering what the likes of Arch or Stevo would think of LT today is quite inappropriate given that they both played alongside Schwatta, Thommo and Jon Hay. I would like to think neither of them told these blokes to grow a pair, as a Moderator (FFS) had the gall to post in this thread. People really need to think through the repercussions of the comments they choose to publish. Some things are more important than football.

If only more of his team mates cared as much about the NMFC as Lindsay clearly does. Wouldn't drop him at this stage as it's clearly a mental thing. He slots them at training, match day it just isn't happening for him atm. Try him on a wing, regain some confidence and then ease him back into the forward line where his defensive pressure is as good as anyones when his on.

Remove this Banner Ad

For Lindsay's own good....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back