Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
So there's been over eleventy gazillion posts and threads on #VICBIAS

There are some questions I have for non vic fans. Questions I've asked many many times and have never received an answer.

If you hold so much disdain for this league why do you still follow?

The following points are good reasons why you should stop following our inequitable league.

• For starters you can take away the vic bias conspiracy (theory)
  • For those in WA and SA you have your AFL teams in your local state leagues, so no 'my afl team isn't in it'
  • You can passionately follow your state league club without the inequities of the v/afl. Even if it's not your afl club.
  • If you all voted with your feet and remotes and followed your state leagues they would once again flourish.
  • Don't worry about the vic clubs there's enough public interest for all of them to sustain them, would even be confident of a return of public interest for South Melbourne and Fitzroy. The whatever the vfl would be would flourish just as much as the other state leagues.
  • No more travel, particularly fruitful for the WA clubs.
  • No more sleeping in hotels instead for your players and coaches instead of their own bed.
  • No more paying eleventy gazillion dollars to see your team in a GF for flights, hotels etc (which is obviously gouging on those airlines, hotels etc).
  • No more disparity in inequity in a GF against an MCG tenant.
So what are the reasons you still follow this league? Why is it so important yet so abhorrent?

Please explain your disdain at the same time of your unbridled following of your club in this league, why continue the misery?

Please answer.

There are some questions I have for non vic fans. Questions I've asked many many times and have never received an answer.

The following points are good reasons why you should stop following our inequitable league.

• For those in WA and SA you have your AFL teams in your local state leagues, so no 'my afl team isn't in it'
  • You can passionately follow your state league club without the inequities of the v/afl. Even if it's not your afl club.
  • If you all voted with your feet and remotes and followed your state leagues they would once again flourish.
  • Don't worry about the vic clubs there's enough public interest for all of them to sustain them, would even be confident of a return of public interest for South Melbourne and Fitzroy. The whatever the vfl would be would flourish just as much as the other state leagues.
  • No more sleeping in hotels instead for your players and coaches instead of their own bed.
  • No more paying eleventy gazillion dollars to see your team in a GF for flights, hotels etc (which is obviously gouging on those airlines, hotels etc).
So what are the reasons you still follow this league? Why is it so important yet so abhorrent?

Please explain your disdain at the same time of your unbridled following of your club in this league, why continue the misery?

Please answer.

h62Fo6kjh8E0t8mbHKw8s_8ndkQ=.gif

They knew the rules (esp where the grand final was always hosted) when their clubs joined the league, so I don't get many of their petty grievances tbh

The AFL has gone above and beyond to make this a fair and equitable national competition.

h62Fo6kjh8E0t8mbHKw8s_8ndkQ=.gif

They knew the rules (esp where the grand final was always hosted) when their clubs joined the league, so I don't get many of their petty grievances tbh

The AFL has gone above and beyond to make this a fair and equitable national competition.
Well they could do more, the question is what?

And if that what is detrimental to vic clubs i:e merging or culling and by extension losing paying fans and members, then what?

Over to you non vic fans.

Please answer.
1 reason to stay, CB2010.

KICKAVIC!

Nothing personal comrade :)

Please answer.
We're all masochists M7

You as Wobbler watching so many of your teams make the GF .. yet fail so consistently should understand that as much or more so than anyone else

But "oh the premierships a cakewalk' .. except when it's not .. about the same number of times St Kilda have 'won' the spoon .. and that's just another level of masochism that deserves it own book

We're all masochists M7

You as Wobbler watching so many of your teams make the GF .. yet fail so consistently should understand that as much or more so than anyone else

But "oh the premierships a cakewalk' .. except when it's not .. about the same number of times St Kilda have 'won' the spoon .. and that's just another level of masochism that deserves it own book
the-simpson-krusty.gif

Because people love to be disingenuous. Because people love nothing more than to have an easy scapegoat for why they, or a personal interest such as their football team, isn't successful. Despite the fact that the competition is incredibly equitable (relative to most leagues around the world), people love to point out the tiny advantages that each club has as a reason to put them down and feel justified for it.

There's two things that have an element of '#VICBIAS'. One is the location of the Grand Final. This isn't even necessarily VICBIAS. This is just a tradition that heavily favours Collingwood, Carlton, Hawthorn, Essendon, Richmond, Melbourne. But in reality, you'd be silly to have the game anywhere else in the interests of equity when the stadium holds 40,000 more people than the next largest and holds so much historical significance to the game. The other aspect of the AFL that holds an element of VICBIAS is the media. Not sure why this is really a talking point though, as Victoria holds 10 AFL teams, so of course the media will be heavily VIC-centric. I wouldn't say The Advertiser and The West Australian really stray away from their respective states.

Firstly, some really dumb dot points there, you know they are not realistic, and its not a theory, even if it might be more media based than actual AFL based.

The biggest thing in my opinion, is that 95% of media/commentators are from vic, and they all support vic teams, which does show in what they do. Foxfooty, SEN, etc being biased puts the rest of the stuff in a bigger light, its easy to ignore the other issues if we dont have to listen about the vic teams so much more than the rest.
Some commentators are good at hiding it, but its still there, nothing can stop this outside hiring more people who arent victorian in media roles. There are a few but it feels like its mostly just the odd former player as boundary commentator in interstate games, which isnt enough imo.

I still watch because I want to see Vic lose, and ive been following for so long that its too late to stop now. The only 2 vic teams I have any time for at all are Saints and Carlton(Would like to see Cripps have some reward) but this changes all the time depending on my mood, outside that I cheer for every interstate team vs victorian teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please answer.
Because you can still love and follow your club and have so-called disdain for the league at the same time.

You are making them out to be mutually exclusive concepts. They aren't.

Last edited:
Firstly, some really dumb dot points there, you know they are not realistic, and its not a theory, even if it might be more media based than actual AFL based.

The biggest thing in my opinion, is that 95% of media/commentators are from vic, and they all support vic teams, which does show in what they do. Foxfooty, SEN, etc being biased puts the rest of the stuff in a bigger light, its easy to ignore the other issues if we dont have to listen about the vic teams so much more than the rest.
Some commentators are good at hiding it, but its still there, nothing can stop this outside hiring more people who arent victorian in media roles. There are a few but it feels like its mostly just the odd former player as boundary commentator in interstate games, which isnt enough imo.

I still watch because I want to see Vic lose, and ive been following for so long that its too late to stop now. The only 2 vic teams I have any time for at all are Saints and Carlton(Would like to see Cripps have some reward) but this changes all the time depending on my mood, outside that I cheer for every interstate team vs victorian teams

I have to admit you are absolutely 100 % correct about the commentary bias

I have observed it mostly is biased towards Vic clubs (esp Collingwood or Essendon) when they play non Vic Clubs. A real annoying clique

It's gonna be a 100 pages of reflection upon the OP'S stupidity for putting up sch a VICBIAS post.
FMD spare me.
It's based on a false premise anyway, as I've pointed out.

Because you can still love and follow your club and have so-called disdain for the league at the same time.

You are making them out to be mutually exclusive concepts. They aren't.
OP may also believe that if something about Australian society annoys you, don't complain about it, go live somewhere else.

It’s not just clubs of non Vic supporters who believe in conspiracies against their clubs, happens to all supporters.

You could make an argument for all clubs getting a leg up and unfair advantage really in some way.

Below is a list of grievances people have with each club, some real some imagined:

Adelaide - power of the state behind them. And the old 11-12 (this year 13) home game thing. Rich club. Also tried to cheat to keep Tippett
Brisbane - afl funded, used to have cola

Carlton - too many early draft picks, tanked and cheated salary cap

Collingwood - tribunal favours them, media favours them, play every game at the MCG

Essendon - drug cheats, salary cap cheats, media love in.

Fremantle - home games make it easy to make finals. Aside from that truly ethical, they just seem angry at everyone else.

GWS - AFL trust fund baby. No one goes for them or cares, yet will continue to exist and propped up.

Geelong - unfair weird shaped home ground guarantees them finals (until it doesn’t), Steven Hocking, being regional gives them unfair advantage as cheaper housing, whinge about home finals

I’m done for now, someone else can do the rest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread For non vic fans who disdain the AFL competition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back