Expansion Forget GC and WSYD. AFL should he supporting overseas leagues.

Remove this Banner Ad

garygee

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Rugby Sucks
http://www.afl.com.au/*****/Development/InternationalCup/tabid/10241/default.aspx

The money that the AFL are going to waste on GC and WSyd would be way better spent on promoting and supporting Aussie Rules overseas. We have one of the most spectacular sports in the world and the AFL do almost nothing to promote it outside of Aus. Check the link, these teams are so keen they've financed they're visit to Aus themselves. How much promotion have the AFL given this here? Practically zero. How much assistance does the AFL give the various leagues and teams OS? Almost zero. The future is OS. Imagine Aussie Rules at the Olympics. Geez if a lame duck like European Handball can be an Olympic sport.........

Hey Cos, I just tried to open your link and 'bad request', appeared on my screen, hope that isnt prophetic. I would certainly support more investment in os development but not at the expense of development in this country.

I've been saying it since 2004 and I'd consider myself a Queenslander.

Despite the big heads at AFL house, our game will never "conquer" or gain any significant marketshare in these states unless they are given premierships on a plate. At the same time, the NRL and union poses no threat to Aussie Rules in its heartland.

If the AFL gets closed in, then soccer will eventually squash it. We have an awesome chance to carve a niche worldwide.

So why not ?

It is disappointing that the AFL treats the International Cup as a development competition, sort of like the junior championships or the TAC Cup and holds games during weekdays. It has the potential to be every bit an event as some of the amateur events the rugby codes and soccer codes put on and I have no doubt that, eventually, the crowds will come. The average fan in Australia would have absolutely no clue that our game is even played overseas. The AFL just have to stop condescending and start promoting.

Mind you, don't underestimate the power that the International Cup gives the AFL in NSW and QLD. It is the key to these markets, much more so than some hollow unsupported national competition franchise. Your average rugby nuff nuff prides themselves on their game's "universal appeal" and international status. It is much easier to can our game and these new teams if they see it as a Victorian throwback. For our game to get any sort of international validation helps them to realise that it is worth watching and one day they'll jump on board in droves. Why do you think international threads get so many trolls. They know the potential is real and they are shitting themselves.

Oh and does Tasmania count as overseas. ;)

Despite the big heads at AFL house, our game will never "conquer" or gain any significant marketshare in these states unless they are given premierships on a plate. At the same time, the NRL and union poses no threat to Aussie Rules in its heartland.

If the AFL gets closed in, then soccer will eventually squash it. We have an awesome chance to carve a niche worldwide.

So why not ?

It is disappointing that the AFL treats the International Cup as a development competition, sort of like the junior championships or the TAC Cup and holds games during weekdays. It has the potential to be every bit an event as some of the amateur events the rugby codes and soccer codes put on and I have no doubt that, eventually, the crowds will come. The average fan in Australia would have absolutely no clue that our game is even played overseas. The AFL just have to stop condescending and start promoting.

Mind you, don't underestimate the power that the International Cup gives the AFL in NSW and QLD. It is the key to these markets, much more so than some hollow unsupported national competition franchise. Your average rugby nuff nuff prides themselves on their game's "universal appeal" and international status. It is much easier to can our game and these new teams if they see it as a Victorian throwback. For our game to get any sort of international validation helps them to realise that it is worth watching and one day they'll jump on board in droves. Why do you think international threads get so many trolls. They know the potential is real and they are shitting themselves.

Fishfingers and garyglitter
0005.gif

So why not ?

I think the AFL has given the 2008 IC far more coverage than the 2005 event. I reckon it has got it about right this time. Just nurture it along and not make any outlandish claims, dont let Australia or Australians play, at least not yet.

Given PNG and South Africa are developing along with Irish talent these are the real countries with potential in the medium term. We are talking 5 to 10 years before there is a noticable difference.

I reckon the growth is great and it will continue, do we even care what other codes have got, I think not. This is our game in Australia where we live. :D

Redb

I'd really support the expansion of footy into foriegn countires as long as wasn't done by the AFL. There needs to be another organistaion which is in charge of football, expanding it and keeping the grassroots footy going. The AFL has too much on its plate. They try to run a league, try to expand, try to get involved with footy at grassrots level. It too much. This new organisation would have little involvement with the AFL. Then when expanding, we wouldn't have the AFL brand imprinted in the minds of people who are new to the game. Wouldn't you hate it if Australian footy got known worldwide as 'AFL'. Some people in Australia have already caught this disease and we don't want it to spread anymore.

This new organisation would take heaps of pressure off the AFL, they would't have to look after everything to do with football. They would just have to look after the league. The league might be run a bit better if the setup of football was like this. It would be like soccer, they have the FFA and then the A-League as the premeir comp. Lets say this new organisation was called the AFA (Australian Football Association) it would do what the FFA does with soccer and then have the AFL as the premier footy comp in Australia.

But I wouldn't support footy at the olympics. It would be horrible. Australia would always win and the medals wouldn't mean anything to the players because they know winning a premiership is way better.

Yes.

That must be it.

10 nations whose airfares were paid for by the RLWF. Only one winner beside Australia and one Australian captain who sold out to another code

worldCupCaptains_s3.jpg

16 nations whose airfares were paid for by their own wallets won by two countries besides Australia.

20080825193945312_4.JPG

I know which is going to have more passion regardless of whether Australia fields a team or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your not seriously trying to compare the two are you? The RLWC with the Footy International Cup? Pay their own way? the RLWC will primarily be made up of Pros and Semi pro players actually playing infront of people. No it is no FIFA World Cup or even Rugby WC but the winner of the RLWC will play in front of a packed Suncorp stadium and likely a couple million across Australia and beyond. (and yes it is likely to be australia)

How about the 'won by two countries besides Australia'' You have got to be kidding, surely. You mean the Footy International Cup WHICH DOES NOT HAVE AUSTRALIA IN IT BECAUSE IT WOULD WIN BY TWO HUNDRED PLUS POINTS WITH A VFL RESERVE TEAM?

10 nations whose airfares were paid for by the RLWF. Only one winner beside Australia and one Australian captain who sold out to another code

worldCupCaptains_s3.jpg

16 nations whose airfares were paid for by their own wallets won by two countries besides Australia.

20080825193945312_4.JPG

I know which is going to have more passion regardless of whether Australia fields a team or not.

LOL Fishman.

Can you point out the Australian captain who has gone to another code please?

And as for the rest of your post about passion and past winners, pull your head in for gods sake, you sound pathetic and jealous. :rolleyes:

Your not seriously trying to compare the two are you? The RLWC with the Footy International Cup? Pay their own way? the RLWC will primarily be made up of Pros and Semi pro players actually playing infront of people. No it is no FIFA World Cup or even Rugby WC but the winner of the RLWC will play in front of a packed Suncorp stadium and likely a couple million across Australia and beyond. (and yes it is likely to be australia)

It will be played in front of people. I have no doubt that the matches in Warrnambool will probably get similar crowds to some of the league matches in the big stadiums.

As for the other rounds, well I think if the AFL properly promoted the thing, they could probably fill Manuka Oval ... which would attendance wise be similar to an international rugby league crowd.

How about the 'won by two countries besides Australia'' You have got to be kidding, surely. You mean the Footy International Cup WHICH DOES NOT HAVE AUSTRALIA IN IT BECAUSE IT WOULD WIN BY TWO HUNDRED PLUS POINTS WITH A VFL RESERVE TEAM?

Then maybe the RLIF should consider not letting Australia qualify for the RLWC until someone else can win the thing. :rolleyes:

LOL Fishman.

Can you point out the Australian captain who has gone to another code please?

And as for the rest of your post about passion and past winners, pull your head in for gods sake, you sound pathetic and jealous. :rolleyes:

I thought the guy holding the cup's name was Mark Gasnier who signed with Stade Francais.

Maybe I'm wrong.

But regardless, that's what I call passion for the jumper.

I thought the guy holding the cup's name was Mark Gasnier who signed with Stade Francais.

Maybe I'm wrong.

But regardless, that's what I call passion for the jumper.

And when has he ever been captain of his country Fishmonger?

He was put in there as when the ad was made, he was in the right place at the right time, Lockyer and Smith were unavailable so for some reason he was used.

Gas would've been in the team if he didn't sign with the French club, but that was his option as Firepower went broke and didn't pay him like they didn't pay the western Forces players whom many since have gone to france as well.

He lost out on lots of money and if he didn't switch for the start of their season later this year, he would've missed out on all that money, these guys playing Pro sports have to make as much as possible in a short time, i'm sure if he had the chance to make what he is worth and stay in the NRL, players like him would stay.

As for passion, what would you know about passion, if anyone offered you 2/3 times what you make in a season, you'd do it.

Those guys in the AFL's International cup would do the same, as I said before, you sound petty and jealous, so pull your head in.

If Big Bad Barry Hall got offered 3/4 times what he makes at Sydney to go to America to kick the ball 4 times a match, he'd do it too, would it make him less passionate about AFL, or would it make him smart?

Now please stop degenerating the RLWC and its players as you clearly don't understand what is actually going on.

There needs to be a compromise between them.

Perhaps all money gained from TV rights outside of Australia should be put back into the International game. That is a fair compromise.

soccer is the sport played overseas.
no point in afl/league even trying to expand.

i include rugby because there really is only 2 countries that care about it and NZ really is just another state of australia.

I'm not sure about WSYD but the gold coast is going to be sucessful. AFL is growing a
lot in south-east queensland and the club should do reasonably for itself so i'm not sure what all this fuss is about.

It will be a lot easier to convert GC to AFL rather than parts of America or something. But I do agree they should help foreign leagues a bit. Like give them footies and guerseys maybe.

soccer is the sport played overseas.
no point in afl/league even trying to expand.

i include rugby because there really is only 2 countries that care about it and NZ really is just another state of australia.
Soccer is not the only sport played overseas. There are plenty of healthy minority sports with a world wide following, eg Lacrosse, which is holding its own World Cup about now. You don't hear much about it in the news, but it has quite an organised and devoted following here in Australia.
No-one is crazy enough to suggest that Australian Football compete with soccer overseas, but if we could establish it as a viable minority sport overseas that would be fantastic for the future of our game. The fact that there is a professional league for players to aspire to is a big plus in promoting our game, as most minority sports are amateur and the prospects of a career in their chosen sport are limited. A future Gary Ablett may come from the US or South Africa .

There needs to be a compromise between them.

Perhaps all money gained from TV rights outside of Australia should be put back into the International game. That is a fair compromise.
Is there any money from the TV rights outside Australia? I thought it was largely a case of who promised to show the most at the best times got it for free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Forget GC and WSYD. AFL should he supporting overseas leagues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back