Forget the doom and gloom!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2007
Echuca
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Cycling, all Aussie Golfers
I watched the game last night with 3 mates who are all Collingwood supporters.
One of them made a really interesting comment about 5 mins into the third quarter.
He said that to him it looked like Richmond was in cruise mode and that they seemed to be playing more to keep themselves fit for the season proper and less about last night
After this comment i watched very carefully and amazingly he was spot on.
Deledio, Foley, Brown, Morton, Edwards, McMahon, Moore, and even Newman, seemed to have a dip when the ball was in their area but the followup was non existent.
The overall intesnity from the Tiges was good in the first half but it dropped of significantly in the second half.
Listening to SEN after the game I noticed that Dermie said that after half time Richmond seemed to content to let the game run its course without really exerting themselves and he thought that we had nothing to worry about at all based on that performance.
I'm inclined to agree.
It is interesting to look at the players that didnt really rip into it and you would notice that all are players that would be definate starters in our round 1 clash.
This is not saying that they did not have a go more that they worked at only about 70-80%.
If you have the chance to see the game again have a good look at Deledio Brown and Morton in particular......It really stands out in the second half.
I for one am happy to be out of the NAB cup. The further you go in that competition the more intense the games get and the more chance of players suffering serious injuries.

:thumbsu: well said mate, apart from our poor kicking skills. deledio hardly played in the middle, we missed like 6 set shots in that 3rd quarter and could have easily been 4 goals up.

fitness was a major key and we just stopped midway through 3rd quarter.

with the likes of, Tuck, Cotchin, McGuane, Patterson, Bowden, Coughlan, Schulz, Hughes, there is some upside

give cousins another 3 or 4 games throughout the pre season he will be much better for it. STOP bagging the boys they know who played shit and that hard work is still to come.

i agree, I thought we took our foot off the peddle after we missed a few of those easy shots on goal. I dont think we have anything to worry about a lot of positives frm the match, Deledio is going to be a real handfull for other teams this year if he can float forward and take grabs like that. Raines looked fantastic and continually ran the lines last night. Hislop and thomson showed enough too, Jackson and White ran hard all night and had a big presence. Jack was fantastic

I think also the effect of having cousins cannot be understated he is effectively a 30 plus possession a game midfielder. You put someone like that in any teams midfield and you are going to get benefits all over the ground and we got him for free

I watched the game last night with 3 mates who are all Collingwood supporters.
One of them made a really interesting comment about 5 mins into the third quarter.
He said that to him it looked like Richmond was in cruise mode and that they seemed to be playing more to keep themselves fit for the season proper and less about last night
After this comment i watched very carefully and amazingly he was spot on.
Deledio, Foley, Brown, Morton, Edwards, McMahon, Moore, and even Newman, seemed to have a dip when the ball was in their area but the followup was non existent.
The overall intesnity from the Tiges was good in the first half but it dropped of significantly in the second half.
Listening to SEN after the game I noticed that Dermie said that after half time Richmond seemed to content to let the game run its course without really exerting themselves and he thought that we had nothing to worry about at all based on that performance.
I'm inclined to agree.
It is interesting to look at the players that didnt really rip into it and you would notice that all are players that would be definate starters in our round 1 clash.
This is not saying that they did not have a go more that they worked at only about 70-80%.
If you have the chance to see the game again have a good look at Deledio Brown and Morton in particular......It really stands out in the second half.
I for one am happy to be out of the NAB cup. The further you go in that competition the more intense the games get and the more chance of players suffering serious injuries.

The more games we would've played in the nab cup,the more the hype and pressure on Cousins and the more tired the players would be mid way into the real stuff.

Wallace did say "we're trying new things this week".

Don't read anything on Bay 13 by known Richmond haters.

:thumbsu: well said mate, apart from our poor kicking skills. deledio hardly played in the middle, we missed like 6 set shots in that 3rd quarter and could have easily been 4 goals up.

fitness was a major key and we just stopped midway through 3rd quarter.

with the likes of, Tuck, Cotchin, McGuane, Patterson, Bowden, Coughlan, Schulz, Hughes, there is some upside

give cousins another 3 or 4 games throughout the pre season he will be much better for it. STOP bagging the boys they know who played shit and that hard work is still to come.

I totally agree. Half the side where youngsters and the nab cup does'nt really matter. But Thomson really impressed me with work rate. In the 2nd quater i think , he made the tackle but collingwood got it back but he then chased again and caused a turnover. We really missed Tuck in the middle. What are peoples thoughts on Vickery???

Vickery looks a fair way off, but needs time. did some nice things

Rance was good i thought he will def get a chance throughout the season.

Thompson did well worked really hard but had no support. him and tuck rotating in the midfield will be nice to see

can't wait to see deledio, cotchin and foley all play in the guts

A lot of posters on here questioned Deledios efforts in the NAB cup last year and when the season kicked in he dominated from round 1
He is so good he gets possessions at will but no-one will convince me that he was having a real dip last night
He only worked when the ball was close by and his second efforts (normally one of his strengths) were almost non existant in the second half last night

listen, facts are we aint going to kick 5.15 , thats a 25% efficiency ea week, tune that just a little and it changes the context of the game. That said I was dissapointed we didnt have a forward that stood tall...Being a prac match, we tried youngins that clearly wont be used whenb the real stuff starts...Vickers will be in burger colors for a while yet and his sidekick nahas will never be promoted. and lets not escape from fact that woods are a respected side...recurring finalist, 2 players of best side...their high pressure style of game like swans and adelaide tends to bring us unstuck...No better example than the impact their pressure has on painting the likes of Rainsey into a corner.

Our side will change with the inclusion of the likes of Tucky, Mcguane, Connors, Cotchin, Bowden , Sarge even Patto at expense of some of the rookies that played last night.

What Id like to see in next mth is someone grab FF by the short and curlies and make a statement it's MY posi come round 1

amazing how everyone says its only the NAB cup when we lose. It is much better to play the NAB cup then those sissy intraclub and practice matches esp for those players that aren't match hardened like cousins. You seem to suggest the players couldn't give a toss if they lost so we avoid injuries in later NAB cup games. Great way to prepare mentally for the real thing:rolleyes:

The general sentiment of this thread is spot on. We don't need to stay in the spotlight. The media hype was getting way over the top. I'm even prepared to give Wallace credit for deliberately 'letting a bit of air out of the tyres' in the second half. We don't need to go into the season too pumped. Leave that to the tankers.

amazing how everyone says its only the NAB cup when we lose. It is much better to play the NAB cup then those sissy intraclub and practice matches esp for those players that aren't match hardened like cousins. You seem to suggest the players couldn't give a toss if they lost so we avoid injuries in later NAB cup games. Great way to prepare mentally for the real thing:rolleyes:

Disagree, it means nothing actually, Carlton are the perfect example in recent years, its a feel good competition that is all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

listen, facts are we aint going to kick 5.15 , thats a 25% efficiency ea week, tune that just a little and it changes the context of the game. That said I was dissapointed we didnt have a forward that stood tall...Being a prac match, we tried youngins that clearly wont be used whenb the real stuff starts...Vickers will be in burger colors for a while yet and his sidekick nahas will never be promoted. and lets not escape from fact that woods are a respected side...recurring finalist, 2 players of best side...their high pressure style of game like swans and adelaide tends to bring us unstuck...No better example than the impact their pressure has on painting the likes of Rainsey into a corner.

Our side will change with the inclusion of the likes of Tucky, Mcguane, Connors, Cotchin, Bowden , Sarge even Patto at expense of some of the rookies that played last night.

What Id like to see in next mth is someone grab FF by the short and curlies and make a statement it's MY posi come round 1

BJ understand what you are talkign about man, but the issue isnt who wasnt there and who was there that was young. the issue is that there are a number of players who are just treading water, showing us the same flawed skills, flawed option taking, flawed awareness etc etc and it aint changed. Thats the most dissapointing thing. The season is long, these players will be there thorughout it, because of injuries etc. ;)

Had the same feeling after attending the game last night. First half we seemed to be playing to the gameplan we want to take into the season proper. Zoning back, then running hard into space to hurt the Pies on the rebound. Was all going well except for when the time came to put the score on the board. However, when doing my review of the players after the game it seemed that I was constantly referring to players as having a great first half but then went quiet.

For example, Deledio, hardly noticed him after half time but then see he had a decent night possession wise picking up 25 or so, Richo spent most of the second half in the forward 50, Tambling was playing out of the square away from the rebounding role he was playing last year, Newman was quiet, Simmonds went forward and the list goes on.

Have this feeling that Wallace was keeping something up his sleeve for the season proper. Got the players to play the gameplan at times, seemed like 10 minute bursts and would then send the message out for the players to take the foot off the pedal and let the game come to them. Some people believe we got out coached last night, I think we were coached smartly.

Worst post I've ever read. Have a look at our board. Most people are going nuts based on this one performance, whereas when we won last week the general consensus was that it meant nothing.

Richmond have nothing to worry about imo they will be top 8 may even give the top 4 a shake is all they need to do is give tambling the boot get tuck and bowden back in give cousins another 2-3 weeks and your set

stop stressing tiger fans come round 1 and u smash carlton u will see what im talkin about

Had the same feeling after attending the game last night. First half we seemed to be playing to the gameplan we want to take into the season proper. Zoning back, then running hard into space to hurt the Pies on the rebound. Was all going well except for when the time came to put the score on the board. However, when doing my review of the players after the game it seemed that I was constantly referring to players as having a great first half but then went quiet.

For example, Deledio, hardly noticed him after half time but then see he had a decent night possession wise picking up 25 or so, Richo spent most of the second half in the forward 50, Tambling was playing out of the square away from the rebounding role he was playing last year, Newman was quiet, Simmonds went forward and the list goes on.

Have this feeling that Wallace was keeping something up his sleeve for the season proper. Got the players to play the gameplan at times, seemed like 10 minute bursts and would then send the message out for the players to take the foot off the pedal and let the game come to them. Some people believe we got out coached last night, I think we were coached smartly.

Gee your drawing a long bow there RT.
Listen i'm as hopefull as anyone that we've turned the corner, but i've also played a lot of QAFL state league footy where the standard isn't too bad and the players and coaching staff are def switched on. i think even for the current list its a little fanciful that they might be tuned in enough to play in 10 min bursts.
the facts are that we are stil making crap decisions with the ball when going forward and were getting hurt badly on the rebound.
Although i'm pleased with some of the young talent we have running around this year, we still have to drill the boys to make the correct decision under pressure, and either perfect or change our overpossesive game plan before we can consider ourselves a chance.

Worst post I've ever read. Have a look at our board. Most people are going nuts based on this one performance, whereas when we won last week the general consensus was that it meant nothing.
You obviously dont read many posts. All I am saying is I would like to see us win games in NAB cup. We always go badly in the NAB cup and do just as bad in the real deal so maybe it is time to reverse this and do well in both

Lots of sensible comments regarding us not even bothering to play the match out, it was blatantly obvious. It meant as little as our non-Nab Cup hitout against Collingwood last year(?), just a chance to trial a few things and get fitness into players who need it due to interrupted pre-seasons.

i agree, i think the players that know they wont lose their spot in the team (like newy, lids, foley, those sort of players) cruised for a bit of fitness, made no real attempt to get the ball or chase, unless the ball came to them. Good pick up.:thumbsu:

Another thing I've noticed over the course of both matches was we have barely "got going", has the momentum flung our way? I'd say we've had control over both matches for no longer than a half all up. We beat Freo because they are shit, the Pies had a good team out there and we only played well for a quarter which saw us hit the lead.

So I think 2 quarters out of the 8 we've played, has been good and when its happened, we've looked great. Plenty of upside and I'm sure when the real stuff begins, we'll be a lot more polished/competitive.

i agree BUT ithink had we kicked 8.3 from set shots insted of 3.8 till 3/4 time story would be different

To Coach and Management of the Tigers if your reading in here [[ha ha..]]

I do not know what the NAB cup actually means to the Tigers these days but a lot of fans who watched the game against Collingwood were disgusted.

Whilst it was evident that even at half tank Cousins is still a serious AFL player and will only get better..he cannot be a flag winner on his own.

He needs a team who is present and accounted for to put their heads down and play seriously, not treat it like a warmup...

For if this is the best Tigers have to offer right now..round one is a forgone conclusion even WITH Ben Cousins.

Too much is riding on his shoulders, the rest have to pull their weight.

He had support of great players at West Coast to acheive the results he did. Be serious about your team as a whole..not just Ben Cousins..some of your blokes there at the moments are seriously playing shitty.

Look back on a rewind of the match and pick them out.

I wont be buying a ticket to watch the Tigers in round one based on that shitty performance.

Heads down and work this out fellas.

Not just leaving it up to Cousins..

Remove this Banner Ad

Forget the doom and gloom!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back