Opinion Forward Line Coach - Get One!

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching 4 quarters of a paleolithic forward entry strategy on Friday, I watched some of the AFLW game last night and lo and behold, same prehistoric approach.

Inside 50s 37-30 in Port's favour, inside 50 marks 7-1 to Richmond, 6 goals to 3 to Richmond.

For pity's sake get a decent forward coach at Port whoever is senior coach next year. It is beyond a joke.

After watching 4 quarters of a paleolithic forward entry strategy on Friday, I watched some of the AFLW game last night and lo and behold, same prehistoric approach.

Inside 50s 37-30 in Port's favour, inside 50 marks 7-1 to Richmond, 6 goals to 3 to Richmond.

For pity's sake get a decent forward coach at Port whoever is senior coach next year. It is beyond a joke.
BUt tHe LisT?

The forward line has failed over and over again because they are working under the directives of the head coach.

Clog the ball forward. Repeat 50s. Bring the ball to ground. Apply pressure.

There is very little Chad or anyone else can do to fix things until Hinkley is gone.

Probably important to highlight that the line coaches just implement the strategy of the head coach and work on communicating how to play according to the plan, work on skills development, etc.

So while I am absolutely all for getting a new forwards coach, I also think Ken is largely incapable of designing a gameplan that isn't just "hope that X takes a bullshit contested grab or pulls a bullshit crumbing goal out his arse"

There is literally nothing a forward coach can do when our system is to clog our own forward line full of defenders and repeatedly kick high balls in there, hoping that a piece of individual brilliance will earn us a goal.

That's Hinkley's system, it's impossible to have a functional forward line within that system, the best forwards coach in the history of the game would be unable to make it work.

Probably important to highlight that the line coaches just implement the strategy of the head coach and work on communicating how to play according to the plan, work on skills development, etc.

So while I am absolutely all for getting a new forwards coach, I also think Ken is largely incapable of designing a gameplan that isn't just "hope that X takes a bullshit contested grab or pulls a bullshit crumbing goal out his arse"
Gee I miss Sir Robert Gray the only man we've had capable of making Ken's gameplan seem feasible

A good forwards coach would be arguing with the head coach to improve things.

Chad aint much chop and he didnt want to be forwards coach, was happy to stay as a development coach, but club lent on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The forward line has failed over and over again because they are working under the directives of the head coach.

Clog the ball forward. Repeat 50s. Bring the ball to ground. Apply pressure.

There is very little Chad or anyone else can do to fix things until Hinkley is gone.

Despite Ken saying the opposite when questioned in mid match/post match interviews?

A good forwards coach would be arguing with the head coach to improve things.

Chad aint much chop and he didnt want to be forwards coach, was happy to stay as a development coach, but club lent on him.
What’s interesting the coach saying, that’s not how we wanted to play and instructions were different.

Does this mean the coach is incapable delivering the message properly?

We actually practiced kicking the ball long to Charlie, positioned by the point post, all preseason- he didn’t take a mark then either.

This tactic should be on full display- in the Port museum- because it has no place out on a football field. And whoever’s idea that was- should be in the same display cabinet.

Need a skills coach as well. Not sure how it translates in stats but the amount of time I see our player fumble easy collects to the naked eye is cellar dweller level. I guess that might tie into our lack of ground ball gets in some way.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF

maybe our midfield coaching could work out a way to take the ball inside 50 first.
normally have 2-3 forwards leading up to the ball carrier & have it kicked over there heads.

dixon retiring could change the dynamic. kick it as high & slow as possible, to allow defenders to smother our forwards.
need to find robbie grey mk2.

Absolutely on board with this.

I understand that Hinkley would be making the overall plan to bomb it in, and Cornes was able to develop a good system at times, but I've had enough of him.

The two I really want out are Hinkley and Cornes since I don't believe either is capable of change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Forward Line Coach - Get One!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back