Forward line?

Remove this Banner Ad

I would not be getting rid of Bate! We need marking, leading forwards. He is a bit of a barometer for us, and so is Davey. Both were well held, and suffered injuries in the game.

I think we got away with it in the wet, but Saturday exposed the marking void left by Petterd. But equally, our movement of the ball was too slow and no good.

(and PJ was horrendous...out of his depth)

If we could get a young kid for Bate it'd be good. Preferably a Daniel Talia type, a solid mark as well as a strong kicking forward.

Bate has (had) a great long kick on him...

Everyone seems to have forgoten Fitzpatrick. He is a +200cm KPF, that can ruck part time. The only reason he had to ruck at the champs is that the talls (particularly rucks for Vic metro) were so light on the ground that once Gawn did his knee they had bugger all to choose from.

Anywho the Fitz takes a great mark! And with luck we can work on his kicking.

No way would i trade Bate is one of our most important players if not the most important. Forget he played on Saturday hurt his ankle played on but was a shadow of himself. Who else do we have who can play a leading role up forward????

Our forward line is going to struggle this year but we arnt contesting for a flag so give it time. Next year hopefully we can have Bate, Petterd, Jurrah, Green as the certainties on what they have shown. Watts, Bennell, Wona on there talent. With Fitzpatrick, Maric, Tapscott, Martin as the outsiders to be in the forward line.

I believe that Bate/Petterd/Green being 40-50 goal forwards a year once our team improves. With Watts/Jurrah hopefully kicking more than them.

No way would i trade Bate is one of our most important players if not the most important. Forget he played on Saturday hurt his ankle played on but was a shadow of himself. Who else do we have who can play a leading role up forward????

Our forward line is going to struggle this year but we arnt contesting for a flag so give it time. Next year hopefully we can have Bate, Petterd, Jurrah, Green as the certainties on what they have shown. Watts, Bennell, Wona on there talent. With Fitzpatrick, Maric, Tapscott, Martin as the outsiders to be in the forward line.

I believe that Bate/Petterd/Green being 40-50 goal forwards a year once our team improves. With Watts/Jurrah hopefully kicking more than them.

I honestly can't see Green kicking 50 goals in a year. That's a lot of goals!!!

I'm doubtful for Bate too.

The idea of trading Bate makes me want to stab the internet

I don't want to trade Bate but I think that if we were to trade a player and wanted to get something decent, he'd be a candidate

I don't want to trade Bate but I think that if we were to trade a player and wanted to get something decent, he'd be a candidate

With a team like ours you trade players for two reasons:

1) They want to leave and we might as well get something for them

2) We have enough depth at that particular position.

Bate doesn't fit either category.

Please let me know who can play hit up forward for us as well as kick some goals if we were to trade Bate?? How quick we are to forget how good he was against the Dogs in the wet 2 weeks ago.

With a team like ours you trade players for two reasons:

1) They want to leave and we might as well get something for them

2) We have enough depth at that particular position.

Bate doesn't fit either category.

Please let me know who can play hit up forward for us as well as kick some goals if we were to trade Bate?? How quick we are to forget how good he was against the Dogs in the wet 2 weeks ago.

I'd rate Watts, Jurrah and Petterd all as better forward prospects. Just saying...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rate Watts, Jurrah and Petterd all as better forward prospects. Just saying...

Have any of them got the capabilities to play high forward/lead up target?

Petterd to me is a goal square to 50m guy.

Bate is miles ahead of Watts ATM and probably will be for the next 2 years.

Jurrah is a deep forward guy IMO, the closer to goal the more dangerous he is.

Bate is an elite runner for his size and gives us more than just goal kicking, the only other players on our list who have similar (but much worse) attributes are Miller and Dunn. Maybe Hughes.

Bate>>>daylight>>>>Dunn,Miller,Hughes.

Did nobody else see Bate leave the field limping after a goshdarned ANKLE INJURY! The kid is a gun, plays well up the ground and a strong mark, excellent kick for goal and an all round keeper. His footy IQ is incredible, there is absolutely NO reason to let him go. This kind of reactionary thinking is absurd, and gives internet football forums a bad name... er... yeah..

If we could get a young kid for Bate it'd be good. Preferably a Daniel Talia type, a solid mark as well as a strong kicking forward.

Why would trade a 23 yr old who we've put 5 years development into, that has more good footy than bad, (has had some very bad timing with injuries over the last 3 years) for unknown 18 yr old?

Did nobody else see Bate leave the field limping after a goshdarned ANKLE INJURY! The kid is a gun, plays well up the ground and a strong mark, excellent kick for goal and an all round keeper. His footy IQ is incredible, there is absolutely NO reason to let him go. This kind of reactionary thinking is absurd, and gives internet football forums a bad name... er... yeah..

Agreed, im glad there are others who think along these lines, he was our second best last week against the dogs with 3 goals and looked very dangerous up forward. Was on injured on the weekend and we struggled even more without him, a good effort to come back on and didnt play that bad considering his injury and the delivery forward.

Secondly next time you go to a melbourne game, sit behind the goals and watch bate. With the rediculous amount of sideways and backwards handballs this bloke has to several leads before the ball is even directed towards him and even the delivery can be shizen. The brisbane game is the best we've played this year, we move the ball quickly and most importantly DIRECT, Bate only had to make one or two leads and his was spotted up. Coincedence that was his best game along with ours? I think not.

grrr. I don't WANT to trade Bate. I just said that I would consider it if we were given a good offer.

Whether or not it's due to our delivery to the forward line, when Matthew Bate goes cold he goes icey. I just wish we could get more consistency from a guy who does have loads of talent.

Secondly next time you go to a melbourne game, sit behind the goals and watch bate.

This, exactly. He moves so well off the ball, puts himself in great position, and has great vision. He's excellent crumbing around goals or being in the right spot to receive the ball from a stoppage or tackle AND he can kick straight from 50 metres. These are the reasons that Bailey and co will see him as a big part of our flag hopes.

grrr. I don't WANT to trade Bate. I just said that I would consider it if we were given a good offer.

Whether or not it's due to our delivery to the forward line, when Matthew Bate goes cold he goes icey. I just wish we could get more consistency from a guy who does have loads of talent.

This.

Bate will be awesome in 2-3 years time when he is getting the 3rd best defender not the best defender with sub standard delivery. I love his endurance and ability to kick the long ball.

Emphasising the word "WANT" says you do.

If you didn't want Bate traded you would emphasise the word "DON'T".

Fail.:)

Emphasising the word "WANT" says you do.

If you didn't want Bate traded you would emphasise the word "DON'T".

Fail.:)

Negative
Want assumes that if he has to do to get a better deal out of it then circumstances would change.

Don't says that he wouldnt want to in any circumstance.

Quoting fail

Remove this Banner Ad

Forward line?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back