Video Highlights FOUND: The *entire* live 1 hour Tony Charlton Football Show segment on Norm Smith's sacking (1965)

Remove this Banner Ad

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Thought Melbourne supporters may be interested in this.
For the first time online - its the entire 1 hour live program of the Tony Charlton's Football Show dedicated to Norm Smith's sacking two days earlier. Only snippets have been online before but this is the entire 1hr segment start to finish including commercials.

Many historians call it the greatest live football segment of all time.

Cheers Rhett. Defining moment in our History

Side note, love the commercials, and general setup of the show. Great insight into that 60s time period

Fantastic, thanks Rhett! Loved the ad snippets and when Mr Charlton let the panel all give their takes. And the fan interviews down at training and on the street. Fred Fanning had been on a good wicket. The great man Ron just walking onto set to go into bat for him, as well as the current players.

And how about the Richmond bloke sounding scared of pissing off MFC. Hard to comprehend where the club used to stand.

What a shit show. Establishment pricks tanked the club. Never change, Dees.

Now for a nice Craven cigarette and some warm tea out of my 10 shilling thermos.

This is awesome, a real piece of football and Melbourne (club and city) history.

I was on the lookout for this a while back, the only snippets I'd seen were on the 100 Years of Football doco and then some extended pieces on a Norm Smith doco that aired on the previous incarnation of fox footy (below). It's amazing that the entire episode has been found now, almost 60 years after airing! What else is out there that we don't know about - hopefully the broadcast copy of the 1964 Grand Final and some other finals from that era will surface one day. The MFC history DVD has some footage from the broadcast version of the 1964 GF so I'm hopeful one day we'll get a decent copy of at least part of it.

And how about the Richmond bloke sounding scared of pissing off MFC. Hard to comprehend where the club used to stand.

What a shit show. Establishment pricks tanked the club. Never change, Dees.

Richmond Pres was only scared of pissing off the Demons because they were worried about jeopardising their move from Punt Rd to the MCG. They wanted Barassi at end of 1964 but were also wanting to play home games at the G starting in 1965 so were worried if they pinched him it would piss us off and they wouldn't get the support of the MCC for the move.

Agree with your second point, it's the thing that shits me to tears about this club, the born to rule mob who think it's their god given right. Incompetent ****s who almost sent this club to the wall on multiple occasions and still haven't learnt their lesson.

Thought Melbourne supporters may be interested in this.
For the first time online - its the entire 1 hour live program of the Tony Charlton's Football Show dedicated to Norm Smith's sacking two days earlier. Only snippets have been online before but this is the entire 1hr segment start to finish including commercials.

Many historians call it the greatest live football segment of all time.

This is fantastic. Thanks for posting.

The timing of this is unreal. This club! I now know exactly how much I hate it and why.

This is awesome, a real piece of football and Melbourne (club and city) history.

I was on the lookout for this a while back, the only snippets I'd seen were on the 100 Years of Football doco and then some extended pieces on a Norm Smith doco that aired on the previous incarnation of fox footy (below). It's amazing that the entire episode has been found now, almost 60 years after airing! What else is out there that we don't know about - hopefully the broadcast copy of the 1964 Grand Final and some other finals from that era will surface one day. The MFC history DVD has some footage from the broadcast version of the 1964 GF so I'm hopeful one day we'll get a decent copy of at least part of it.

The entire 3rd and 4th quarter broadcasts of the 1964 Grand Final exists. I've been trying to get access to it for a while not.

The entire 3rd and 4th quarter broadcasts of the 1964 Grand Final exists. I've been trying to get access to it for a while not.
Oh damn I need that!!! The old newsreel type footage on YouTube that goes for 5 minutes is horrible, need the channel 7/9/ABC whatever it was broadcast

Remove this Banner Ad

Video Highlights FOUND: The *entire* live 1 hour Tony Charlton Football Show segment on Norm Smith's sacking (1965)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back