Play Nice Franklin contract talks on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll have seen the article in the HUN no doubt, and numerous supporters opinion of what's going on, and where he's going.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...il-end-of-season/story-e6frf9jf-1226567061009

There's a lot of water to go under the bridge, and as we've seen plenty of times before, this doesn't necessarily mean that he'll leave at the end of the year, no matter how much other clubs supporters may like to see it happen.

It's going to be a longer process than we'd have liked, so lets discuss it in here.

Try not to get sucked in by the trolls both here and eslewhere, guys.

Hope he has a change of mind and re-signs. Don't want this detracting from Hawthorn's or Buddy's performance this season!

Plus, we'd be garrunteed at least 3 first rounders (including pick 1), and the free space would allow us secure some kids (such as breust) or bring in a solid midfielder
He's a restricted free agent - pretty sure that he could go wherever the money was & that we'd be at the mercy of the AFL's compensation system.

Let's see: Buddy is a forward - Jack Anthony was a forward - Anthony is worth a 5th round pick - here you go HFC, enjoy Pick 106...

He's a restricted free agent - pretty sure that he could go wherever the money was & that we'd be at the mercy of the AFL's compensation system.

Let's see: Buddy is a forward - Jack Anthony was a forward - Anthony is worth a 5th round pick - here you go HFC, enjoy Pick 106...

But as a restricted free agent we have the right to match whatever offer is put to him.

Out of curiosity, what teams would have the cap space for him? The only one I can think of is Fremantle, as they made a fair bit of space to try and get Mitch Clark, and their highest paid players would be on the veterans list (Pavlich and Sandilands).

Any others?

The AFL are at the mercy of the media this time, even with relative control of the media, they'd be unable to cover this up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think you guys have anything to worry about, he's said in plenty of interviews over the last couple years he wants to be a one club player, will probably go the same way as Cloke and re-sign at the end of season after a year long media circus, why doesn't he want to re-sign now? Who knows, but surely player and club will reach an agreement, got a full year to figure it out

But as a restricted free agent we have the right to match whatever offer is put to him.

Out of curiosity, what teams would have the cap space for him? The only one I can think of is Fremantle, as they made a fair bit of space to try and get Mitch Clark, and their highest paid players would be on the veterans list (Pavlich and Sandilands).

Any others?

We'd have the right to match it but not necessarily the capacity to match it.

Brisbane, Port, GC would have the room. Maybe Footscray or even Norf... Who knows?
I'm pretty sure any club could accommodate him if they restructured wages enough, but there's only really 4 or 5 clubs that would benefit enough by doing so. No disrespect meant but it would be pointless Footscray etc getting him, they're much better off with 4 young, high draft picks over 2 years.

Brisbane, Port, GC would have the room. Maybe Footscray or even Norf... Who knows?
I'm pretty sure any club could accommodate him if they restructured wages enough, but there's only really 4 or 5 clubs that would benefit enough by doing so. No disrespect meant but it would be pointless Footscray etc getting him, they're much better off with 4 young, high draft picks over 2 years.
A man with the marketing power and price that Franklin has won't see him leave Hawthorn to go to a rancid club with no media attention like Port or Brisbane, or to a piss poor, unsuccessful club like Footscray, or to a poor club like Norf where he has to constantly ring up the clubs accounting department and ask why he hasn't got his game payments.

I don't think you guys have anything to worry about, he's said in plenty of interviews over the last couple years he wants to be a one club player, will probably go the same way as Cloke and re-sign at the end of season after a year long media circus, why doesn't he want to re-sign now? Who knows, but surely player and club will reach an agreement, got a full year to figure it out

Think it's more to do with the pending circus
We dont have many friends in the media (apart from Jason Dunstall & Danny Frawley), it will be a long year

You'll have seen the article in the HUN no doubt, and numerous supporters opinion of what's going on, and where he's going.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...il-end-of-season/story-e6frf9jf-1226567061009

There's a lot of water to go under the bridge, and as we've seen plenty of times before, this doesn't necessarily mean that he'll leave at the end of the year, no matter how much other clubs supporters may like to see it happen.

It's going to be a longer process than we'd have liked, so lets discuss it in here.

Try not to get sucked in by the trolls both here and eslewhere, guys.

.. This is purely about $$$ now, forget the brown and gold ..
Sad to see things go this way, I'm 95% sure he will leave .. We can't afford him

5 year contract, 1.25m per year .. That will be the offer

Al
A man with the marketing power and price that Franklin has won't see him leave Hawthorn to go to a rancid club with no media attention like Port or Brisbane, or to a piss poor, unsuccessful club like Footscray, or to a poor club like Norf where he has to constantly ring up the clubs accounting department and ask why he hasn't got his game payments.
All true.

Really only leaves a couple in the running - including us. He's ours to lose - I'm confident we could find $150k to make it happen if we had to.

Good points, though I think Gold Coast would have dramas trying to keep their young players as it is, though I'm sure they would make room for someone of Buddy's calibre. The thought of Ablett hitting Buddy lace out on the tit is a bit of a scary thought.

Though we all say "He's said repeatedly he wants to stay at the Hawks etc. etc." Another player said that recently, and it didn't end well...

Not scare mongering, because it could be a multitude of reasons why he hasn't re-signed. It's now the media and the fans that will play chinese whispers with it all

The reaction from the club says it all - and it is genuine - they are utterly floored by this development.

It's come from total left field. And has to be a very real cause for concern.

we had an opportunity to put this to bed but we didnt...there are some players on big contracts and he deserves a big contract...in my view, u find the cabbage to keep a player like buddy! he represents hawthorn and more than that he represents the AFL...friggin sad...especially when his manager says its disappointing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back