Play Nice Franklin contract talks on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
people are talking as if hes already gone! look its certainly not idea for the club for the talks to be put on hold but a lot can happen, NAB cup hasnt even started

a week is a long time in footy...who knows what will happen over the next few weeks/months

also, someone suggesting collingwood - what a tyre kicker. oxygen thief with that rubbish

Plus, we'd be garrunteed at least 3 first rounders (including pick 1), and the free space would allow us secure some kids (such as breust) or bring in a solid midfielder

Compensation would be akin to the Ablett compo surely?

Two Band 1 selections (First round pick after your normal first rounder),

Ablett only netted the Cats a Band 1 plus a middle first round pick.

The AFL werent exactly generous with FA compensation picks last year (as you guys are already well aware).

FWIW, I reckon its a smart commercial move by Franklin. Talk is that Freo can/have offered around 1.5 million a year, which over the 4 years nets him an extra $2 million over the Hawthorn offer. God knows what GC and GWS will throw at him.

I feel for you guys though. Its gonna be a long year.

Meh, he's worth more than he's earning, considering what other stars are making elsewhere, and the offers he's had.

He isn't going anywhere.

The only teams that could honestly afford him are GWS and the Suns. Does anyone seriously believe he'd be willing?

Buddy deserves more faith from Hawthorn supporters. If he was interested in leaving for money he'd be gone already.

He values being a champion for the Hawks very highly.

The media will be all over this, build it up, because Buddy sells.

As for around the site, it's just going to provide us with good thread bumping material. I can't wait to rub it into everybody when he re-signs.

Lets hope it doesn't linger for too long, as it is a distraction. But neither side wants that.

Is 9 months soon enough

Like your faith shepp but if all you said is true then why not put pen to paper.

unfortunately for Hawk fans, this likely means he'll be off to Perth next year. Doubt the Hawks can fit him into their cap when the big offers come from WA.

All you can hope for is that it doesnt' sink your 2013 like it did Collingwood's last year with the Cloke dramas.

On the bright side, at least you'll get good picks for him. Any you never know, his career may have already peaked ('07, '08) and he's already on the slide.

It's all one big scam orchestrated by the club and Franklin...

They make it appear as though Buddy might seriously want out at the end of the season so as to force any interested clubs into holding off or offering unders on their own player renegotiations. Thus creating ill feelings for those players towards their clubs. Then come the free agency period Buddy fields all the big offers from all the interested clubs and satisfies his ego and curiosity in knowing them whilst letting on to each club that he is interested in signing with them. Meanwhile the Hawks recruiting department are offering some nice deals to some disgruntled free agents at those clubs who will not have their offers matched as their old clubs are under the impression that Buddy is ready to sign with them. Then in the final days of the free agency period, after the time period to put forward the matched offer to restricted free agents has elapsed, Buddy re-signs with the Hawks for unders on a 5 year deal. Content that that wage in addition to all the extra money he makes in 3rd party deals, merchandising, external business interests and wise investments is more than enough to see him live like a king for the rest of his life. With all the quality players picked up in that free agency period the Hawks are then set for years to come allowing Buddy to continue to dominate in a top 4 team, winning Coleman's, Norm Smith's and premiership medals over that 5 year period.

Yep, just one big scam. Sorry if I let the proverbial cat out of the bag HFC ;)

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere else for non Hawks supporters to have their say?

Is 9 months soon enough

Like your faith shepp but if all you said is true then why not put pen to paper.

Because he wasn't happy with the offer.

Other clubs + Pickers have told him he's worth almost double than what we offered him.

When Hawthorn make him an offer he feels is suitable, he will put pen to paper.

This is going to drag on and on for quite some time. If he leaves it will hurt us on field and off field as well. For Marketing, crowd attendance, membership sales etc, could all suffer as a result of it. Plus one of the biggest player's we have had at this Club could possibly leave and join another Club just doesn't sit too well with me. :(

The HUN hey?

I would suspect that there are a few 3rd party deals that are going on in the background. Things that are out of Hawthorn or Buddy's control, and problems that have arisen around the Judd/Tippet saga's. I would imagine if things fall into place over the next few months, then he'll stay. If not, then it might be messy. Irrespective of how it goes, at the end of the day he would have put his best years in at Hawthorn.

On another note, when I found out that Pickering was his agent, I knew that things were not going to be that straight forward.

Other clubs + Pickers have told him he's worth almost double than what we offered him.

This.

He is the most marketable player in the AFL. Even putting that aside, on talent alone he's worth as much as Ablett, who left for a lot more than $900k per year. And that was three years ago.

Shit, Tom Scully is reportedly earning more than $900k per year.

Franklins value to a club and sponsors would be millions in marketability and memberships, and thats before you factor in value to the club via his talent (i.e. actual footballing ability).

$1.5 million p/a would be ball park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere else for non Hawks supporters to have their say?

Because he wasn't happy with the offer.

When Hawthorn make him an offer he feels is suitable, he will put pen to paper.

I hope you are right Shepp.

But man this s*** about Franklin and his contract has come out of knowhere. I just couldn't even picture him leaving before. You look at him and you think that he is a one Club player. It's amazing what money can do to people sometimes.

Pickering as his manager could be the fly in the ointment here. Pickering did the Ablett deal, now this.

I'm sure Pickering is pushing Buddy towards a $10 million over 5 years payday which includes match wages, and a hefty slice of the merchandising, membership and match day revenues.

Pickering must be salivating over his commission for this deal!

Remember this is the HUN....

I would suspect the conversation went something like this.

Hawthorn: Is he ready to sign?
Pickering: Is that the best you can do?
Hawthorn: How about this?
Pickering: We'll talk about it.
Hawthorn (a few minutes later): What about now?
Buddy/Pickering: We haven't really had time to talk about it.
Hawthorn: What about now?
Pickering: It seems alright, but we want to sleep on it.
Hawthorn: We'll call you tomorrow.
Pickering: No we'll call you.
Hawthorn: What about the next day?
Pickering: Look guys you have to chill, I know this is a good offer but I have to make sure all the T's are crossed and I's dotted.

Later on the phone.

Buddy: Pickers! how is it going?
Pickering: Did you see the email with the new offer?
Buddy: No
Pickering: Can you look at it.
Buddy: I am sure it's alright but I am busy right now.
Pickering: Do you want to discuss this further? I reckon we can get more out of them.
Buddy: To be honest, I've got a year and I don't really care to go over this right now. We'll sort something out later, we can just wait till the end of the year.
Pickering: Ok. Well, at least we have something that we can flog to the HUN as an exclusive.

Buddy has apparently told the Hawks he wants out at the end of the year, either to the Eagles or God forbid the Pies, supposedly Eddie has massive plans for him

These are probably the two teams in the AFL who could LEAST afford to pay him what he wants right now.

Compensation would be akin to the Ablett compo surely?

Two Band 1 selections (First round pick after your normal first rounder),

Ablett only netted the Cats a Band 1 plus a middle first round pick.

It doesn't work like that. Ablett wasn't a free agent he was an uncontracted player signing to a new club. Hawthorn's compensation if Franklin leaves would be so far under his worth. He was a top five pick originally and has since gone on to become a champion player.

It doesn't work like that. Ablett wasn't a free agent he was an uncontracted player signing to a new club. Hawthorn's compensation if Franklin leaves would be so far under his worth.

It appears as if the best F/A compo that would be granted would be a pick in the '1st band', or a 1st round pick after Hawks normal first rounds (likely in the teens).

Ouch.

I asked him the same question. This was his reply.

Jolly Maxwell O'Brien Didak retiring, there's a $1,000,000 there.

I'm just as upset as everyone else mate. I'm not making this up for nothing.

O'Brien is signed up until the end of 2014 at which he will be 28. Hardly ready to retire.

My main issue is the circus it will cause this year. If he goes it will be disappointing, but if any forward line could cope without him it would be ours. It would also give us a spare million in the cap to target other FA's or use it to see if Kennedy wants to come home. It may even extend our window

This is what 2013 is going to be about.

Keep you heads, Hawk posters. Don't get sucked in on the main board. It's just the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back